Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 40

Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 54958 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2012, 12:28:56 pm »

They weren't perfect representations of the book. Nor should they have been - movies are a different medium, and I think they actually did a marvelous job of adapting them to the screen. There are a lot of things that I'd have liked to see, but even with time constraints aside I can't imagine how they could represent Tom Bombadil or the Scouring of the Shire (the two major things that I feel were missing) without wrecking the construction of the movie, which had to take precedence. Maybe I could do some nitpicking about the Balrog and stuff, but most of the decisions they made really seemed to be good ones.

Tom Bombadil can be done in the book because generally it takes longer to read a novel than to watch a movie, so he's not a glaring change of tone, and you have more room to explore the world to make it feel large - movies can accomplish that in ways novels can't, through scenery and background conversation or actions, but because going above 3 hours already earns you jokes about being insanely long, they can't explore tangential setting pieces that don't contribute to the plot itself. If they'd done Tom Bombadil, I feel like the audience that hadn't read the books would spend the rest of the movies wondering when he was going to show up again, and that'd detract from their ability to enjoy the rest of it.

The Scouring of the Shire demonstrates how far the hobbits have come, but that isn't really necessary since the compressed time frame allows us to really see that by the end of the battles in RotK. Given that spending half the movie on endings earns you jokes, working in an hour for something that they can already demonstrate visually and don't need to be quite as explicit about isn't really wise. I felt like Saruman's death could've been better done, but I'm not entirely sure how. It felt a little cheesy, but it had all the vital elements the alternate death would need - it's quicker than the Scouring, it keeps things tied tightly together by having it happen at the conclusion of a scene that already had to happen, and so on. Maybe if they'd spent more time showing Wormtongue being abused by Saruman to build it up, and not had the overdramatic tumble off the tower.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2012, 04:05:17 pm »

I want to see the hobbit, next opportunity. Be it with my friends or with my family.

Not on my own, though. I dislike being in a cinema on my own.
Yeah.
'Course, large crowds tend to make me nervous.

I don't go to movies very often.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2012, 04:07:25 pm »

I want to see the hobbit, next opportunity. Be it with my friends or with my family.

Not on my own, though. I dislike being in a cinema on my own.
Yeah.
'Course, large crowds tend to make me nervous.

I don't go to movies very often.
THIIIIIIIIS!

LAAT501legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2012, 05:35:25 pm »

Just came back from watching it, and I love it.The only problems I find are some heavy CGI usage and some lore innacuracies, it's a good adaptation but it could have been made better.
This isn't reality.
THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS!!
*kicks an elf into the pit*
Roll to be a BATTLE WIZARD

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2012, 05:58:57 pm »

Soooo...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2012, 09:37:43 pm »

Soooo...

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2012, 11:35:12 pm »

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2012, 01:04:05 am »

All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2012, 02:11:16 am »

In the book the dwarves are distinguished almost solely by their colors of cloaks (except Thorin and Bombur). Similarity is a small price to pay for beards tucked into belts.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2012, 10:41:46 am »

+1. That also reminds me that I was disappointed that the whole cloak business was taken out. I would rather have them all look like similar dwarves then for them to look like diverse manish abominations. At the very least they could have give the rightful King Under the Mountain a beard.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2012, 11:57:54 am »

So I watched the movie today.
Too bad the next part won't be until next year.

Any how.. In my opinion, the Dwarves were Dwarvenly Dwarven.
At least during the introduction.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2012, 02:43:45 pm »

The *run the fuck out of the mountain scene* should be the unofficial trailer for dwarf fortress.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2012, 03:01:24 pm »

Saw the movie yesterday.

1) impressed at how they represented the dwarves, and the sheer dexterity they gave them
2) erebore reminded me of dwarf fortress so much
3) radagast is an epic wizzard
4) The orcs were done so much better than the previous LOTR ones, they had menace beyond just being a swarm
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2012, 04:56:05 pm »

4) The orcs were done so much better than the previous LOTR ones, they had menace beyond just being a swarm

In Goblintown, yes. They also had the best design in the movie adaptions.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2012, 05:03:28 pm »

I watched it yesterday, and I was pretty disappointed. The main problem is that it's trying too hard to be like Lord of the Rings, so it's much darker and more violent than the book.

Soooo...

Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 40