Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40

Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 54971 times)

the_donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Hobbit
« on: December 13, 2012, 02:58:43 pm »

Anyone going to see The Hobbit?

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 03:01:03 pm »

Got a ticket for the midnight release in a local theater.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 04:55:35 pm »

I will be. It looks great.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 04:58:00 pm »

Definitely.  I rarely go see movies anymore, but I loved the book.  Not the other three though.  Too boring for my ADD.  Maybe now, but... I dunno.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 07:14:07 pm »

I'm not going to rush. Apparently they broke it up into three movies that will be released over three years just like lord of the rings was. Not feeling too excited about starting to watch a movie I won't get to finish until 2014. Also, while the recent LotR movies were a vast improvement over the originals, the 70s animated version of the Hobbit was very good, and doesn't leave as much room for improvement. I also suspect the "massive, humongous oh wow three movies the hobbit yay!" may end up having a severe case of prequelitis.

Probably won't see it in theater.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 07:30:52 pm »

I can't wait till they start doing stories from the Silmarillion, which (let's be honest), is all but inevitable if they get a substantial profit from this. There's some epic battles in there that would be really well-suited to the style these movies seem to be being made in, which isn't a style I think suits the Hobbit very well. If they keep up the trilogy trend, I'd expect to see Beren and Luthien, Turin, and the fall of Gondolin, but maybe they'd try to milk the cash cow even more and do a more complete rendering (although in this case you'll wind up with all sorts of moments that aren't well-suited to the style).

Less tangentially, I'm hopeful. I think you could do a trilogy very well, but you'd have to refrain from the Epic style of LotR for the first one (up to Gandalf's departure), go back to it during the second (The Offscreen Adventures of Gandalf), and then blend the two for the third (the rest of The Hobbit). However, I think there's a good chance it will be an excellent movie on its own merits and I expect I'll enjoy it for that, even if I don't think the tone is going to be a good match for the Hobbit. I would absolutely love to be surprised, though.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 07:50:44 pm »

I'm thinking I might go with a group of friends who liked The Hobbit.  I might go alone, but I really doubt it.  I always feel sad going to the movies alone.

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 07:52:22 pm »

I'm going with half a dozen friends to the not-so-local IMAX this Sunday.

I wouldn't mind the Silmarillion being made into a movie. There's some great stuff there and I love that book to death. It leaves much room for disappointment, though, being so disjointed and... textbooky.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 07:55:26 pm »

I can't wait till they start doing stories from the Silmarillion, which (let's be honest), is all but inevitable if they get a substantial profit from this.

I wouldn't count on that. The Tolkien estate has not sold the rights to the Silmarillion and apparently does not plan to do so. Also while these stories have epic battles and the romance stuff that they had to make more prominent in the LotR movies, they lack happy endings and hobbits, which probably goes against Hollywood's ideas about broad family audiences.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 07:58:09 pm »

Fuck no.  No No No No No!  Sacred ground.  Hollywood shall not tread on The Silmarillion.  I will resort to terrorism.    >:(

Also not going to see The Hobbit.  It will just piss me off.  LotR showed me that Tolkien's stories are of a kind that modern Hollywood storytelling tropes and audience demands simply cannot respect.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 08:08:06 pm »

I would be willing to see it. Except I live in Australia, and would be lucky to be able to see it before 2017. Somehow we still get everything after the rest of the world. I thought we were better friends than this NZ!

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 08:11:00 pm »

I would be willing to see it. Except I live in Australia, and would be lucky to be able to see it before 2017. Somehow we still get everything after the rest of the world. I thought we were better friends than this NZ!
Dude, just ride some flying kangaroos or whatever it is you guys ride to get over their and kick their asses with snakes or something.

I mean, I think it's just that the rest of the world is too scared of Australia.  :P

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 08:19:57 pm »

I was in it and while I don't want to spoil anything...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Rest of the movie was pretty good.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 08:23:43 pm »

Dude, just ride some flying kangaroos or whatever it is you guys ride to get over their and kick their asses with snakes or something.

I mean, I think it's just that the rest of the world is too scared of Australia.  :P
Do you have any idea how hard the wingaroos are to coax down? Fuckers are like sky rabbits, all eating grass and not coming up to you! I swear, if I could get a range augment on my Bowie knife, I would having grilled roo wings for dinner every night!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 08:26:24 pm »

I was in it and while I don't want to spoil anything...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Rest of the movie was pretty good.
Who, or what, where you?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40