Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40

Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 54917 times)

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2012, 01:36:28 pm »

Honestly, I enjoyed the film. There was Hollywood Logic at work in some places, and the dwarves didn't feel dwarfy enough, and there were obvious cock-ups-in-translation, but it was still a good romp.

I also thought of Dwarf Fortress in the initial part with Smaug arriving and tearing s**t up. I had a fort go down exactly like that once. :D

EDIT: I also agree that the end credits song was amazing. Sure, Mr Neal Finn doesn't sound like a dwarf, but its a still a good song, and I'm totally going to add it to my personal Soundsense playlist for DF. I've been humming "Unlike some folk, we never forget, some crimes we never forgive, haven't seen the back of us yet, we'll fight as long as we live..." constantly the last 24 hours... Inspiring, really...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 01:43:47 pm by eharper256 »
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2012, 02:52:33 pm »

It wasn't bad.  The CGI+48fps had a pretty...  interesting... effect.  The whole thing had the look of a video game cutscene, the classic film look was gone.  At a few points it worked but at others it was just...  I heard it described as a "lurid clarity" and that sounds about right.  I also didn't know it was gonna be a trilogy until like an hour in when I realized there was no way they were going to do the whole book at this pace.  I'm not too mad about it now, I guess I'll have to watch the next movie to see if they put in a lot of non-book filler, that's when I might start thinking it's a cash grab.

The part that made me think of Dorf Forts was early on when the dwarves are singing in Bilbo's house.  It reminded me of the first time I played, when I was generating the world and thinking while that music played.

Overall it wasn't as good as the original trilogy but it wasn't bad either.  They'll have to weather an even worse "I hate when you change anything" sandblasting than before what with Azog and all the other new stuff, but who cares? 
Shoes...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2012, 03:24:29 pm »

I guess I'll have to watch the next movie to see if they put in a lot of non-book filler, that's when I might start thinking it's a cash grab.
From what I've heard, movie 2 is supposed to focus on the Wizards vs the Necromancer, with movie 3 picking up most of the rest of Bilbo and the Dwarves. Of course, that sounds like exactly the sort of story that would suit the style of movie they're doing, so it'll probably turn out to be a better movie than what we've seen so far. Very much more LotR, which would've made it a very poor fit in the book. I don't actually have a problem with this, because I'm actually looking forward to what they can do with a story set in Middle Earth that is constrained only by the very loosest of canon, so that I can compare it to what they've already made, but I predict tremendous amounts of backlash from book fans who'd prefer stricter adherence to the source material. It might be a bit disingenuous to produce it under the title of The Hobbit, but that's about the only objection I can think of to that sort of thing.

I could be wrong, of course. This is all hearsay. Movie 2 could be The Further Adventures of Gollum for all I know.

I also look forward to seeing how they reconcile
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 03:26:18 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Mistercheif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 23, 2012, 11:52:02 pm »

Well, at least according to book

Correct me on any details I got wrong, I haven't read The Hobbit for quite a while, and I may be misremembering some stuff.  I really need to read that again...

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 24, 2012, 01:37:19 am »

Just got back from seeing this! The only part of this movie I didn't like was the part that wasn't Gollum's cave.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 24, 2012, 02:02:46 am »

Personally, I enjoyed the hell out of the movie. The soundtrack was fantastic, and I loved the callbacks to the main Misty Mountains Cold theme.

Overall it wasn't as good as the original trilogy but it wasn't bad either.  They'll have to weather an even worse "I hate when you change anything" sandblasting than before what with Azog and all the other new stuff, but who cares?
Man, at first I was against Azog being some kind of weird recurring villain, but then I thought of the advantages. Primarily, it meant that there was something to break up all the walking outside of Goblin Town, but moreover it gave them an excuse to make some actually scary orcs. Orcs in LoTR were scary in their quantity and the threat they represented on the whole. The orcs in The Hobbit were actually individually pretty effective.

And hey, at least they didn't throw in a hundred-odd elves out of nowhere and wipe Erkenbrand from existence, right?  ::)
Barbarossa did not approve of the changes to Helm's Deep.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 24, 2012, 02:06:07 am »

Well, at least according to book

Correct me on any details I got wrong, I haven't read The Hobbit for quite a while, and I may be misremembering some stuff.  I really need to read that again...

My money is on the Necromancer being the Witch-king, though. In the movie, I mean. Baseless speculation, but still.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 24, 2012, 02:21:16 am »

Spoiler: Actual Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 24, 2012, 02:49:58 am »

Spoiler: Actual Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 24, 2012, 03:58:50 am »

Since none of my mates want to see this with me, i'm considering just waiting till 2014 and go see the inevitable 3 movie in a row session that happens when the 3rd film comes out. Sound like a good idea (neglecting the health risks of sitting for 9 hours and so on), or is this something i really should see now?
Magma is overrated.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 24, 2012, 08:25:10 am »

Well, I quite liked it, except for Azog, and the way the eagles just save them at the end. I mean, come on, not a single sentence exchanged between them? It's like the ultimate Deux Ex Machina here.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 24, 2012, 09:17:08 am »

I loved the movie and thought it was fantastic.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 24, 2012, 10:14:56 am »

the way the eagles just save them at the end. I mean, come on, not a single sentence exchanged between them? It's like the ultimate Deux Ex Machina here.
You'll have to blame Tolkien for that one, not the film. It was in the book.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 24, 2012, 10:26:28 am »

Well, IIRC, in the book, they at least spend some time thanking the eagles and explaining how they got there.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 24, 2012, 10:32:57 am »

True, but in the book they weren't fighting orcs due to the stupid new subplot with Azog.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40