Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: When will the world end next?  (Read 1467 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: When will the world end next?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 03:24:56 pm »

Increase or decrease even more?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 03:26:55 pm »

Well, yeah... Because if it is going to miss the earth, the probability quickly approaches 1 in infinity as you improve your orbital calculation. :P

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 03:41:19 pm »

Hmm. I'm putting money on 2016, when Obama will decide suddenly to not give up power and release his evil plan, to use all the money from rich people to activate the chips he's been implanting in poor people, opening a portal to hell.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 03:43:01 pm »

Damn, you should work for FOX :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 03:46:33 pm »

Damn, you should work for FOX :P
How do you know he doesn't??

EDIT: Also worth noting that we had a serious near-miss just a few days ago. An asteroid (2012 XE54) that was only picked up two days prior to closest approach and came within 226,000 km (about 60% the orbital distance of the Moon).

Of course, the reason we didn't see it is because it was only 120 feet across. A rock that small would have made a hell of a light show, but probably either burned up in atmosphere, or at worst created a localized Tunguska-style event. Bad if it directly hits a city, but the odds are that it would have hit a very lightly-inhabited or uninhabited area. After all, 3/4 of the Earth's surface is uninhabited water.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 04:02:48 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 04:01:05 pm »

I always knew those Poles were a shifty bunch, we oughta keep our eyes on them.

And that's what happens when you don't read threads children.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 04:04:54 pm »

I'm thinking about 29XX. There was a promising planetoid coming up for a close meeting, aproximattely 5% impact chance, but I think it's at least several miles diameter.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 04:12:30 pm »

Plus, don't forget that comet thing passing Earth very close in 2038(?).
First I've heard of it. But if it's something we can already track, then we have plenty of time to intercept and deal with it.
Well if it was heading for Earth I suppose we'd be screwed. Thing is, in all likelihood it's not getting anywhere near Earth. As for the people saying its gravity will tear us apart, it's smaller than the moon and will be further away.
Sorry guys, the world's not ending yet.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 04:15:35 pm »

here is a site of interest:

http://www.exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm

collects all mythological and not reasons for the end of the world.

the next date (which is not, say the end is night or something that imprecise) is 9/11/2040:
http://www.exitmundi.nl/Aligment.htm for the next planetary alignment.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 04:19:05 pm by LoSboccacc »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 04:17:32 pm »

LInk

This one is relevant too. It's all asteroids that might collide within 100 years. It doesn't include 1950A, which might collide around the 2880. With a 1.1 km diameter, it would obliterate civilization as we know it.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2012, 04:17:42 pm »

Plus, don't forget that comet thing passing Earth very close in 2038(?).
First I've heard of it. But if it's something we can already track, then we have plenty of time to intercept and deal with it.
Well if it was heading for Earth I suppose we'd be screwed. Thing is, in all likelihood it's not getting anywhere near Earth. As for the people saying its gravity will tear us apart, it's smaller than the moon and will be further away.
Sorry guys, the world's not ending yet.
I bet someone's going to try and correlate it with Y2.038K. Anything too stupid to be spoken will be spoken.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2012, 05:46:55 pm »

I'm currently taking bets on how many cultists will be drinking the special flavoraid on the 21st.  I'm guessing we'll hit around 75.
The funny thing is that none of them will be descended from the Maya (or still worship versions of the aztec gods, yes there are still villages in that area that do), as they are knowledgeable enough to know that the calendar is circular, and would just roll over one digit (sort of how we moved from 1999 to 2000). So for the people who invented the calendar really all it would be would be the biggest party/celebration of millennia.

I'm still betting we get a fair amount of stupid people who think they know what is happening that do though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2012, 05:55:13 pm »

I'm currently taking bets on how many cultists will be drinking the special flavoraid on the 21st.  I'm guessing we'll hit around 75.
The funny thing is that none of them will be descended from the Maya (or still worship versions of the aztec gods, yes there are still villages in that area that do), as they are knowledgeable enough to know that the calendar is circular, and would just roll over one digit (sort of how we moved from 1999 to 2000). So for the people who invented the calendar really all it would be would be the biggest party/celebration of millennia.

I'm still betting we get a fair amount of stupid people who think they know what is happening that do though.
You don't have to be Mayan to realize any of that.  All it takes is about 2 minutes of research, or an ounce of common sense.  Don't forget these are the same dumbasses that though the world was ending on January 1st, 2000.
Pages: 1 [2]