Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Gladiators: Scorched Blade (Spring has Sprung)  (Read 4406 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Gladiators: Scorched Blade (Application Overload! Picking the best 6!)
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2012, 04:53:07 pm »

Turn 0

Springtime has returned to the islands, and with the blossoming flowers and soft spring weather comes other things. Not only do the birds, or what counts for birds these days, return, but there's also the sound of metal against metal, the smell of blood and the enthousiasm of the crowd. Traditionally, most arenas close for winter, and the new seasons starts on the first day of spring. The first major tournaments follow a bit later, with the first one starting in march, about 4 weeks from now. It's one of the many yearly evenements hosted in the capitol, by a wealthy yet ultimately not that important noble. Many shools are training their gladiators at this very moment for that occasion.

With the receding winter, the harbours are no longer endangered by icebergs, and the supply of new goods floods the markets. Amidst this large supply, opportunities can certainly be found. For those who don't trust the merchants, a trip into the wilderness is always an option. Though many have found their death here, their failure presents a significant opportunity for those willing to risk their lifes.

Spoiler: Hints of stuff to do (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: WIP map (click to show/hide)

Smiling River Gladiator School
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hell Pit

Ennios Gladiatorium

The Vodnik's Shanty

Final Salvation

The Bastards Ring
[/quote]
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 04:57:43 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gladiators: Scorched Blade (Spring has Sprung)
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2012, 05:44:58 pm »

I got a question on the value of money. As in. What is it? I noticed low level slaves can be purchased though one guys perk for 150, but without any other points of references it's hard to know how much we can buy. Could we maybe get some examples of weapon costs and maybe how much say, a person is paid at varying levels of skill?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2012, 06:00:26 pm »

Sasha spent her time in Sandlash with assistance her trusty ornate sword and scabbard she tried to contact local arm dealers and buy proper weapons for her rabitmorphs. At the same time she used the opportunity to chat with other customers, gather information and try to hire a fighter or two.

Meanwhile, Boris was asked to train Tami into a capable fighter by sharing his skills and experience with the young female slave.  Also the girl was promised to receive freedom as soon as she win 5 battles

As for the yeti, he spent his time squashing soft things with Tribal maul, getting used to his weapon of choice
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2012, 06:46:56 pm »

We will work out the economy as soon as it comes into play, which is looking to be first turn.

I will say the average price for an unskilled slave is about 200-250.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2012, 07:31:26 pm »

Smiling Jack and Matt Ratchie boarded the boat, although the basics of the school were set up, they would require more supplies if they were to thrive. Eddy was left in charge of the school as Jake and Matt went on a procurement mission.

The first step was to get supplies they would need to go hunting in the jungle, traps, cages, lures, weapons, they might all be needed. Jack would handle the purchasing and Matt would handle the picking of what to purchase.

After that they split up, Matt headed to inns and taverns to look for strong men and women looking for adventure in the jungle, hopefully he would be able to hire a crew to help in go hunting. Jack on the other hand went to the more industrial sectors, looking for weapons and armor for his fighters, they would need them if they were to survive long.

After the shopping was done it was time to look for upcoming events,, although nothing major was up for another month maybe some smaller events could be lined up to pay the bills. If time permitted maybe he would stop by the slave pits on his way back to meet with Matt.

Back at the School Eddy looked over the list of fighters they had. Some potential, some skill, nothing major though. Eddy was not a trainer, or even that good of a fighter (his skills lay with what happened after battles) but with nothing else to do he decided some training was in order, at least he could run them though their physical paces.

Spoiler: Turn 1 (click to show/hide)

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2012, 08:59:35 pm »

Tadeas was satisfied with the current setup of the school, although he realized that there could be much to be done in order to optimize the place to his needs.

Currently, he has two priorities. Get some training into those two fresh slaves, and get some equipment.

So, for the moment, he and Yusef takes a ride over to the West End to see if there's anything in the way of purchasable transport, armor and weaponry. Bombello preferably takes takes the two slaves out on the seas for some training in seamanship and to catch any marine animals that would make good fighting beasts or trade material.

Spoiler: Turn 1 Summary (click to show/hide)

By the way, you got some names wrong. The Vodnik's Shanty is my place, not King DZA's.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 05:27:26 pm by Phantom »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2012, 07:19:14 am »

I got a question on the value of money. As in. What is it? I noticed low level slaves can be purchased though one guys perk for 150, but without any other points of references it's hard to know how much we can buy. Could we maybe get some examples of weapon costs and maybe how much say, a person is paid at varying levels of skill?
Baseline is that 1 resource point equals 200 money. (Resource points are those things listed after all your assets). Things can vary widly based on purchasing rolls though.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2012, 11:50:16 am »

Caius Ennio reviews the new slaves. Most of them was a sad bunch. But that didn't matter, he would make proper gladiators of them,or die trying. Two of them were more promising though, and he already had some interesting plans for them. To be a great gladiator, you need to do more than kill, you need to do it with style.
Adina were already planning for here trip to the city, together with a few guards to protect her. She had a great deal of missions. But Caius didn't expect her to return for several days, so it didn't matter.
He stood up and addressed his slaves.

Fellow Bellators, fate truly favours you. Not only did you escape the horrors of a normal slave, you were among those selected to become Gladiators. But this is where you luck ends, no one but you decides what happens from now on. Some of you might die, fall under the many exercises you are going to go trough, some of you will hold on so dearly to your old life, that the following days will be your doom. But if you are strong enough, if you dare to face death without flinching, you will recive honor, gold and many more pleasures. What happens now, is up to you.

Spoiler: Turn 1 (click to show/hide)

How long is a turn?
Does everyone start with wooden trainingweapons or something alike?
How far is it between the cities, rougly? Does it take many weeks or could it be profitable to join gladiatorgames in other cities?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 01:23:43 am by Evil Marahadja »

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2012, 04:40:34 pm »

Verik laid back on the sofa across from Ellian in the school's leisure/meeting room (the only room in the entire building any with half-decent furniture) as the two of them went over their plans for the day...

After providing each slave with a set of armor, they would split evenly what funds they had at their disposal, and head out into town. Ellian would see what he could do about obtaining better equipment for the school's soon-to-be corpses champions, while Verik took Audreus & Tal'Rikta with him to pick a fight or two with some of the locals. The idea was to get a couple 'unofficial matches' going, and see what he could acquire through a few well-placed bets.

Henri would be left to watch over the school in their absence, while Ragdoll and Gren kept busy for the day by sparring with each other. A single weapon would have to be shared between the two of them, however, as Verik intended to give Tal'Rikta two weapons to dual-wield in the hopes of maximizing his effectiveness in combat.

"Should be a pretty good day, so long as we're all still alive by the end of it..."

Spoiler: Turn Recap (click to show/hide)

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 02:08:49 am »

Pokepoke. Post your turns people.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2012, 05:06:37 pm »

Maybe it's time to activate the waiting list?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2012, 05:32:53 pm »

I might consider that, or just running with 5 for a bit, whatever 10ebor is comfortable with, tomorrow.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2012, 06:21:20 pm »

Oh fuck, my bad.

Stiric rubbed his chin thoughtfully, gazing at the gladiators before him. "Hmm, not exactly the line-up of men I wanted. But regardless we'll make due. Luckily for you lot, you happen to have an extremely well skilled and dashing man to mold you into proper duelists. That's me, by the way." He took a step towards Agatha, "You seem promising, built like an Ox from the looks of it. No fighting experience though. Pick up one of the practice weapons we have, anyone I don't really care. Get a good feel for your weapon, perhaps a few swings at one of the practice dummies." Stiric then turns to the rest of the group, "Now for the rest of you, I want you all sparring. Fistfights only, I don't want any of you dying just yet. I'll watch your fights, hopefully you know at least something about fighting."

Following that short little speech, Stiric ordered Renolds to go to the nearest Black Market hub and buy some medical supplies in the event anyone got badly injured, and he allocated him 150 coins to spend on it. He also ordered Leon to head to the marketplace, and buy a few basic weapons. Two swords, one spear, a hammer, and a dagger. He gave him a heft purse of about 350 coins to go buy whatever he deemed decent. Stiric himself went out into the city to a local tavern that many lower-nobles tend to frequent, he planned on making himself known to be a rich foreign noble with an extremely talented gladiator school on his hands and making a few friends while he's at it.

Spoiler: Turn (click to show/hide)
Renolds goes

[/spoiler]
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2012, 04:33:19 pm »

I think my co-gm will be gone for awhile, so I'm going to try and get the first turn up today or Wendsday. Do note, that since he is not around to discuss mechanics, mechanics are liable to change between the first turn and the second.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2012, 03:16:06 pm »

Turn 1

(Note, I havn't updated your school status/inventory/rosters yet. I'll either do that tomorrow or when 10Ebbor gets back. If you want to hold off on posting your next action until that is updated be my guest.)

Regional News:

-Shakespeare's Academy, a combination Gladiatorial School and Slave Labor Drama Troop located in Hub City has unexpectedly gone bankrupt. It's assets (including untrained slaves, skilled gladiators, actors, and combat/performance equipment) will all be auctioned off in four weeks. The easiest way to get to Hub City is to take the daily shuttle-boat for 75 Money a Head.

-The Western End City Council is debating a law which would heavily tax people paid to serve as 'seconds' in a duel. Advocates of the law point out that if soldiers who serve the city must pay tax, so should fighters paid to serve private citizens. Opponents of the law say it threatens The Western End's gentlemanly culture, claiming that if skilled seconds are discourged from plying their trade more people would turn to straight up murder and barbarism to solve disputes.

-3 Weeks remain until the big tournament at the capitol.

Spoiler: WIP map (click to show/hide)

Smiling River Gladiator School

Smiling Jack Recieves no news from the underworld today.

Smiling Jack and Matt Ratchie head into the Capitol to shop. In preperation for a jungle expedition they purchase two mules, 400 Feet of Thick Rope, 4 Tubs of Bait, 2 wagons, 10 trap components, and 4 copper cages. This kind of purchase would normally cost an arm and a leg, but Smiling Jack is lucky to run into Dwayne, one of Matt's old buddies from the jungle. Dwayne had just met and fallen head over heels for a city girl, and is planning his retirement from hunting and marriage. He agrees to sell you the above supplies cheap as he had gotten most of them from Matt in the first place. (-400 Money, +Above Supplies)

Dwayne also has some old weapons and armor that he is willing to part with. Spears, tridents, and leather armor; ideal for the hunter, but by no means useless for the gladiator. You get those cheap as well. (+6 Sets of Leather Armor, +4 Steel Spears, +2 Steel Tridents, -75 Money)

The pair then split up, and Smiling Jack heads downtown to look for some matches to participate in. Try as he might however, he cannot find an arena, or even a tavern with a small ring, looking to host an unknown Gladiator School. Smiling Jack considers looking for less than savory events next, but a member of Parliament is getting married today, so police presence downtown is ridiculously high.

Down at the slave auction Smiling Jack spots somebody whom catches his eye. A jungle woman named Landa. Her description, written below the cage that contains her, mentions that she was a hunter before becoming a slave. This means that she is likely skilled with some sort of polearm or ranged weapon. The auction is silent, and shipment of the goods is free to estates and schools within a days travel of town. Jack can leave a bid and wait to see if he has won.

Matt tries to round up a hunting party, but has absolutely no luck dealing with the city slickers of the capitol.

Eddy tries to get the Gladiators to train under him, but he approaches them in his typical ill tempered, condescending, and all around unpleasant fashion. This does not sit well with Jorge or Mike, and the two Gladiators interrupt the session by attacking the doctor. Eddy's hand is crushed by a powerful blow from a training sword before the guards can break up the melee. (Eddy has received a broken hand)

Hell Pit

Before Sasha can leave to go shopping she is cornered by Byrant, a man with a third arm and member of her gang. Byrant chose to work as a guard for the school as opposed to selling his freedom to take up the sword as a gladiator. Byrant informs Impy that he has come across a few small hand crossbows, ranged weapons ideal for Rabbitmorph breed mutants, and would be willing to donate them to the school for a small bit of bonus pay. He is taken up on the offer. (-30 Money, +5 Hand Crossbows, +100 Small Iron Bolts)

Sasha tries to make some small talk in town, but ends up chatting with the usual assortment of drunks, the homeless, and creepy men who want to screw her. She learns nothing of interest.

In town Sasha asks around about recruiting new fighters. She comes across a slaver and starts negotiating. He offers two slaves from his latest catch of humans in exchange for your Ornate Dagger. The deal is a ripoff, but the slaver has plenty of guards and wont take no for an answer. Eventually, not wanting to end up a slave herself, she concedes and hands over the weapon and is given control of two chained humans. (-Ornate Dagger, +2 Human Slaves)

Boris attempts to train Tami, but after only an hour of hard work they decide to take a quick break. The pair spends the rest of the day getting drunk and getting it on. To make matters worse Boris offers Laiza some of his pocket money to get in on the action. By the end of the day poor Tami, who as an indoor servant/pet never had much of a chance to build up a strong immune system, has been exposed to several STDs. She will likely be bedridden for a few weeks as she gets over the initial outbreaks.

The Yeti practices with his club for a spell, and seems to improve with it. (The mechanical benefits of successful training will be determined when Ebbor gets back)

Laiza's Juicy Gossip: "Did you know that one of the humans you just brought in, the racist one, told me his father was killed by Cancer Vikings... Guess he has a good excuse."

Ennios Gladiatorium

Caius gets to work training Atrox and Miles. This quickly becomes an exercise in training Miles to work with Atrox, as the highwayman seems to lack the language skills to pick up most of what you are saying. Caius lucks out when one of the guards is able to speak Atrox's native language, and eventually a simple code of signs and vocalizations is concocted to allow the staff and Miles to coordinate battle plans with the brute.

Without knowing exactly what kind of weapons the psychologist will pick up in town, Caius has no choice but to focus on teaching the pair basic strategy and teamwork. Atrox has a hard time with some of the concepts, but by the end of the week he seems to have most of it down. The lesson is mostly a refresher course for the well trained soldier Miles, but he does his best to help his new comrade learn and appear interested when the master speaks.

Mayard Carter gets to work kicking the three green Bellators in the ass to prepare them for what is to come. Sadly by the end of the week the only thing he has to show for his efforts is the crushed right arm of Bellator Beta. The guards begin to whisper, wondering if the injured slave will be allowed time to recover, or if Caius will use him as target practice.

Adina hits up the taverns of Kettleplow trying to arrange a match. Eventually she bumps into a man who claims to represent The Ajax Project, a somewhat well known middling Gladiatorial School. The man claims that their school has recently come into possession of Fury the Giant, a renowned Gladiator who tore up major events in the Capitol and Hub City five or six years ago. The Ajax Project reckons that although Fury is a bit past his prime and no longer fit for the biggest events, he is still more than enough to terrorize the Kettleplow Circuit.

The man offers Ennios Gladiatorium a chance to face the Giant in a two on one match. The match would take place next week and after the arena operators take their cut the winning school would take home 66% of the purse and the losers 33%. Fury the Giant's Kettleplow debut will likely attract a large crowd, so even the losers purse would contain significant scratch, which is good because Fury could very well be out of your league. It might be prudent to let the big man tear apart a couple of expendable slaves...

Satisfied with the offer Adina goes out to purchase weapons. She purchases for Atrox the signature weapon of the swampland highwayman; the Combat Chainsaw. Such a weapon requires fuel and can be unwieldy at times, but when it hits it hurts and no weapon would better promote the image of bloodthirsty savage. For Miles Adina buys a pistol and a saber, civilized weapons for a civilized man. The chainsaw was expensive, and Adina is fairly close to her 400 quid budget. She decides to spend the rest on a few cheap swords, just in case Caius wants to pit unskilled slaves against Fury next week without risking expensive gear. (-400 Money, +1 Combat Chainsaw, +5 Gallons of Gasoline, +1 Steel Saber, +1 Capitol Infantry Pistol, +50 9mm rounds, +3 Copper Short Swords)

On her way out of town Adina bumps into a man looking to sell his daughter into slavery, as she was found to be impure on her wedding night. There is nothing special about her save the price, so Adina snaps her up cheaper than her boss could land a military prisoner. (-50 Money, +1 Human Slave)

The Vodnik's Shanty

Tadeáš and Yusef hit the town to go shopping. The pair visit the shipyard first. They arrive early, before the owner even shows up for the day, so they end up striking up a conversation with one of the workers. Tadeáš's foreign origin is brought up and the conversation quickly goes south.

"Immigrant scum! Go back to the sea where you came from! You are not wanted here!"

Before the pair can walk away, Tadeáš is challenged to a duel! The merchant turns to ask Yusef to be his second, only to see the jumpy employee running away. Not sure where to find help, and not wanting to face the merchant and his inevitable second alone, Tadeáš bolts as well.

Back at the school Yusef informs Tadeáš that because he backed out before the duel was registered with the Mayor's office, he had broken no law, however backing out is still bad form. Tadeáš should probably stay away from the Western End for the time being.

Bombello takes the two slaves out to sea, in hopes of training them in the way of the sailor. Stag spends most of the voyage getting seasick, but Bochna seems to pick up the basics of seafaring. (Effects of training will be figured out when Ebbor gets back)

Bombello and Bochna spread out the nets and wait to see what if anything they will catch. 12 hours later, after a long struggle and a longer wait, they pull in two Wolf Otters; mutated marine mammals the size of small cows that hunt in packs with razor sharp teeth. Although not the best at fighting on land, they are sometimes used in the arena. Of course their pelts sell for about 200 Money a pop...

Final Salvation

Tal'Rikta and Audreus are given weapons and armor, before Verik leads them into town to pick some fights. With his sharp wit Verik arranges a few fights, places a few bets, and watches as his boys clean up. Tal'Rikta fights with intensity, and chops two drunks to bits in a handicap match. Audreus ends up fencing with a trainer from another Gladiator School; his opponent is about his equal in terms of skill, but is also an older gentleman. Audreus takes a few nasty gashes, but ends up outlasting his foe in the end.

Verik smirks as he counts his winnings. Not all of it is in cash. (+300 Money, +1 Human Slave, +100 Money Tab to the Local Bar/Brothel, +1 Desert Rose Spider Egg)

Ellian goes out shopping, and does indeed buy some solid gear for the Gladiators, but does so at a high price before hitting town to party with booze, narcotics, and whores. By the time he returns, he has spent over half of the school's reserves. (-1300 Money, +5 Stun Guns, +4 Composite Tower Shields, +4 Bastard Swords, +4 Composite Armor Sets)

Gren and Ragdoll spar for awhile, but without a skilled trainer to help them learn little progress is made towards improving their combat ability.

The Bastards Ring

Agatha flat out refuses to train for combat claiming to be a pacifist. You are going to have to figure out how to motivate her if you wish the large woman to fight for you.

The other slaves spend their time fistfighting, wrestling, and otherwise training without weapons. Jericho seems to be a quick learner, and picks up techniques quickly from the two others whom have some fighting experience. T'zzenct and Alexander however both seem to be beyond the point in their development where simple unarmed sparing would do them any good. (Benefits of training will be determined once Ebbor gets back)

Stiric heads into town where he discovers that a prominent local citizen is getting married. He decides to use his noble title to get into the reception, and eventually one of the guards is impressed enough to let him in and schmooze. The party gets wild; Stiric drinks heavily, sleeps with several beautiful women, and has a great time. Sadly he wakes up the next morning hungover and not able to remember too many details of the party. Questions abound. Did he make friends last night? Enemies? Where did his pants go? The Noble sighs and walks back to the school in his boxers.

Renolds heads to the black market to shop for medical supplies. He manages to find some, at a ridiculous price. Still he was ordered to spend 150 on supplies, so 150 he spends. It does not net him much however. (-150 Money, +2 Medical Supplies)

Leon goes down to the large capitol marketplace for some good old fashioned weapon shopping. He finds a fair deal, and dosn't even need to spend his entire budget to bring back what he was asked to get. (-160 Money, +2 Steel Scimitars, +1 Steel Spear, +1 Steel Warhammer, +1 Steel Dagger)

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 03:18:08 pm by Weirdsound »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4