Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18

Author Topic: Humans : obsolete  (Read 14262 times)

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Humans : obsolete
« Reply #240 on: December 13, 2012, 12:10:09 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Heraclite : "you don't bathe twice in the same river" (I don't know if it's the exact quote in english, but the spirit's the same). Because both of you and the world will evolve, and be different.
Or more easily understandable : Alice in Wonderland. The discussion with the caterpillar (as if, as I've been transformed recently, am I still me ?).
I tend to agree on that point, we evolve, etc, and aren't what we were.

I think you're based too much on what we don't know that what we know.
We don't know how the perception of past events is based, so it's not really what defines us ? What if it's exactly all we're thinking ? What if our thoughts are the reflexion of past events ? And therefore our only intelligence based upon experience.

I think that's a huge misconception. We're not computers, and not even near. The brain isn't binary (although working on impulses). The "data/memory" is more of constant process than a storage. There is no parallel between a computer and a brain. All the pseudo comparison are void. Saying that a computer is 10^x more powerful than a brain is stupid. It's just a completely different domain. Why compare a calculation to a past event (a concept a computer can't grasp), or the movement of a cell.
It's like you were trying to code a game in DNA (though, I guess someone will do that one day). If we are near computers, it's near quantum computers, because that would eventually lead to non-binary signals.

I think there's a general underestimation of the living, as that's something we're fairly used to. But we don't even know why we live (as every living thing), how we do even the most basics things. The understanding of the living is still very low.
I think there's communication possible between the "computing" and the "living", but they're not the same. And that's why I think we can't make a "computing" brain.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 13, 2012, 12:13:03 pm »

I arent the least bit attached to continuity. I am only concerned with goals.

If an entity shares my memories, but has different goals, then it is not me.
If an entity does not share my memories, thought processes, or emotions, but has the same goals, then it is me.

This is great in that it covers amnesia, brain damage(as long as there isnt a significant change in goals), cloning(both are "me") and hilariously means that I would even consider groups of people as "me", even if the individuals dont have my goals, but as long as the group does. Gives me an aversion to drugs too, because serious addictions would pretty much result in my conversion into someone completely different. And cant die as long as something even vaguely like me exists or will exist.

I think it would be interesting to see how people would interact with perfect clones. If you had perfect clones running around, any decisions(votes for example) would be reflected by the others, meaning that you would get group behavior from the thoughts of an individual. Except that is already happening, with political parties and other groups being formed by like-minded people, who react similarly to events. Doesnt even have to be an official group, since thousand of individuals doing the same miniscule thing is basically the business model being used by kickstarter and DF.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 13, 2012, 01:27:04 pm »

Oh my god that magnetism thing is so cool. I'd only be afraid of physical pain from touching powerful magnets.

I'm seeing the future and I want to be part of it.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. Aside from the whole back-alley-surgeon bit, the potential nerve and tissue death bit, the risk of rejection requiring immediate hospitalization to have it removed, ect.... Or in general, not something advisable without an actual surgeon and doctor; and they wouldn't do it, as they could lose their medical license over it. Or at least that's how it is for now. If it were safe and easy, yeah, I think over half the college students in engineering and computing majors would have them already. :P

Piercers can't do it? That's disappointing.

I think the safest way would be to make a little sphere of [insert material that has low rejection risk] that the magnet bit goes in.

It isn't organic. No rejection risk. Infections risks though. Technically, it's like a piercing, with the exception that the metallic bit is mainly under the skin as oposed to on the skin. But I wouldn't recommend it, and i'm a bit doubtful over the feeling. There must be a pretty strong field if you want that the vibrations will be perceived as such, and I don't think you can see them "naturely", not talking about what we already perceive of electromagnetic fields, and natural vibrations.
I think the main effect is actually the belief of being able to perceive electromagnetic fields.
Typically, rare earth metals such as Neodymium are used for the magnets being implanted, as their stronger magnetic force compared to metals like iron allows you to have an implant the size of a grain of rice, rather than a giant magnet which would be required for a less powerful, iron magnet. Such metals, however, are mildly toxic. From what I've read, the typical procedure is, in fact, to coat them in a layer of material with low rejection risk. However, if this material cracks or otherwise ruptures, the implant will need to be surgically removed, and quickly.

You obviously don't see the field, you feel it. The reason they are put into the fingers is because the fingers have some of the densest concentrations of nerve endings of any part of the body. Thus, the idea is to shove it in right up next to a bunch of nerves. Since the magnets are the very powerful rare earth metal magnets, their size and strength allows for a rather strong pull, poking the nerves around it and triggering the sensation. If you've ever played with a rare earth magnet, you'll know they aren't exactly your average bar magnet. If you have a pair, each with a bit more mass than a quarter, they can attract one another from several feet apart, slamming together with enough force to shatter both magnets in a shower of sparks and shrapnel (I did that once, it was rather unexpected). So with one of those in your fingers huddled up next to a bunch of nerves, yeah, I would bet you could feel it when you get near magnetic fields.

Yes, and that's why I said that's what we're the closest from.
Although, on the "weak-ai". For optic nerve, it's well, quite simple. It is already harder for an arm : muscle, nerves are replaced, and will be a bit different (no tiredness, lots of differents parameters).
But what happens, when instead of connecting an artificial arm to you, you connect a computer, or the internet to you ? We don't have template to work on that, nor whatever to base our experience on. You can't code something that'll say : that impulse mean the "brain" wants to do that precise action on the computer. Firstly, because that's something that hasn't been done. Second, because the possibilities brought by a connection brain-computer are mostly infinite. We would have to learn to move and use that computer as we have to learn how to walk when we're a baby.

The "weak ai" are something that already exists in our brain. We don't think : send that impulse, then that one, etc, nor we think : move that muscle, then that one : we think : move [at least in our higher state of consciousness]. So, I don't even think we need them. At most, a converter impulse-something readable by computer, being electrical (current computers), or quantum.
Most likely, it will bootstrap on previous systems, in a similar manner to how our brain and body themselves evolved. And we don't really need a template, so long as the control scheme is relatively simple. For a more complex interface, you start out with it being simple, than gradually introduce more complexity as the user adapts to it. The whole point is to make it easier than learning how to walk; if it takes years, there's not much point to it in regards to enhancement. Days, or up to a week, sure, but not months or years. The weak-ai are already in our brain; but they aren't nearly as good as that which we can create; which is, again, why it takes months or years to learn to do things like walking. Having pre-built systems, as with the prosthetic eye, allows the device to interface with the brain much more effectively. Thus using it would become more akin to learning how to use the Emotiv Headset (which also uses such weak-ai interpreters), rather than learning how to walk.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 13, 2012, 02:12:55 pm »

My thoughts on the matter: We are nothing more than organic computers in charge of organic machines.

I think that's a huge misconception. We're not computers, and not even near.

That kind of depends on your definition of "computer". Human brains are obviously not put together anything like computers. The whole thing is basically a collection of hardware drivers whose evolutionary purpose is to manage the operations of the body so it can breed better. Making all the muscles move in sync so the animal can swim rather than just flail, responding to stimuli like light and missing limbs, stuff like that. Then some animals, responding to more complex stimuli in increasingly sophisticated ways, apparently developed the ability to write poetry and argue about politics. Nothing like the carefully engineered, centralised approach to computers, with distinct parts made to do one thing near-instantly and without error, capable of performing any task as long as you can present it in terms of a handful of byte operations.

On the other hand, humans are quite capable of computing, i.e. solving mathematical problems. A human mind can (in theory) do anything that a computer can. It'll take considerably more time, and you'll need to write the calculations down so you don't forget them, but if you had eternity to spare, you could run Dwarf Fortress in your brain.

Really, I prefer thinking of computers as an artificial addition to brains. Humans kind of suck at performing billions of byte operations per second, much like they suck at flying, so we have a machine do it for us. We're already implanting computers into ourselves, at a societal level. :)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 13, 2012, 02:15:19 pm »

Typically, rare earth metals such as Neodymium are used for the magnets being implanted, as their stronger magnetic force compared to metals like iron allows you to have an implant the size of a grain of rice, rather than a giant magnet which would be required for a less powerful, iron magnet. Such metals, however, are mildly toxic. From what I've read, the typical procedure is, in fact, to coat them in a layer of material with low rejection risk. However, if this material cracks or otherwise ruptures, the implant will need to be surgically removed, and quickly.

You obviously don't see the field, you feel it. The reason they are put into the fingers is because the fingers have some of the densest concentrations of nerve endings of any part of the body. Thus, the idea is to shove it in right up next to a bunch of nerves. Since the magnets are the very powerful rare earth metal magnets, their size and strength allows for a rather strong pull, poking the nerves around it and triggering the sensation. If you've ever played with a rare earth magnet, you'll know they aren't exactly your average bar magnet. If you have a pair, each with a bit more mass than a quarter, they can attract one another from several feet apart, slamming together with enough force to shatter both magnets in a shower of sparks and shrapnel (I did that once, it was rather unexpected). So with one of those in your fingers huddled up next to a bunch of nerves, yeah, I would bet you could feel it when you get near magnetic fields.

That's pretty intense. A grain of rice almost feels like overkill. I guess I don't really know how much internal tugging your body can handle.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 13, 2012, 03:39:46 pm »

Yeah, humans overall don't work like computers.  Thinking is much different than computing.
Some parts, however, do.  The little pieces, you know?  You think "I want to pick up that cup" and your hand picks it up for you.  You don't have to think "Move my hand over, wrap around the cup, squeeze, lift..." your body knows.  It's like our thoughts are the only thing that aren't automated.

Kinda makes me think of the body like a mech suit for the brain.  Albeit a pink and fleshy mech suit.
(That would make the worst kind of animated TV show, wouldn't it?)

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 13, 2012, 03:51:18 pm »

Kinda makes me think of the body like a mech suit for the brain.  Albeit a pink and fleshy mech suit.
And every TV show ever was Flesh Suit Gundam.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 13, 2012, 03:51:52 pm »

Naw, a great show! :D

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 13, 2012, 03:53:26 pm »

Naw, a great show! :D

I...
...I...Stand by what I said.  It's horrible.
But it's awesome too, at the same time.  :D

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 13, 2012, 04:06:09 pm »

Really, I prefer thinking of computers as an artificial addition to brains. Humans kind of suck at performing billions of byte operations per second, much like they suck at flying, so we have a machine do it for us. We're already implanting computers into ourselves, at a societal level.

2.2 billion megaFLOPS, to be precise.

I think that's a huge misconception. We're not computers, and not even near. The brain isn't binary (although working on impulses). The "data/memory" is more of constant process than a storage. There is no parallel between a computer and a brain. All the pseudo comparison are void. Saying that a computer is 10^x more powerful than a brain is stupid. It's just a completely different domain. Why compare a calculation to a past event (a concept a computer can't grasp), or the movement of a cell.
It's like you were trying to code a game in DNA (though, I guess someone will do that one day). If we are near computers, it's near quantum computers, because that would eventually lead to non-binary signals.

I think there's a general underestimation of the living, as that's something we're fairly used to. But we don't even know why we live (as every living thing), how we do even the most basics things. The understanding of the living is still very low.
I think there's communication possible between the "computing" and the "living", but they're not the same. And that's why I think we can't make a "computing" brain.

A nerve is either firing into another nerve or it is not. Basic binary. Data/Memory is constant read/write, continually being updated. And we can measure the computing power of an average human brain (2.2 billion megaFLOPS, above, compared to supercomputer K's 8.2 billion megaFLOPS). Our brain may not operate like a computer, but the setup is remarkably similar, to say, our software is completely different, and our hardware only slightly different (neurons forming connections with many other neurons over time, for instance).

See, you're right from an entirely scientific sense. The problem is, if you treat the human body like a computer, it happens to react badly. Mostly because by treating it like a computer, you're constantly thinking about it being a computer, imagining it. the entire body needs periods of rest and relaxation, including the brain. If you can let your brain relax, I've found I can be a more organized, more intelligent, and overall a more social person.

((So that's why I'm not much of a social person!  :P))

Computers don't react too well to being constantly run either, but it does take much longer to be noticeable. Defrag, security sweeps, updates and general maintenance are required every so often or the thing starts slowing down, occasional errors pop up, etc. And, if you leave it running long enough, hardware will degrade and become useless, "killing" the computer.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 04:10:09 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 13, 2012, 04:28:39 pm »

Defrag, security sweeps, updates and general maintenance are required every so often or the thing starts slowing down, occasional errors pop up, etc.
Obviously a Windows user.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 13, 2012, 04:29:17 pm »

A nerve is either firing into another nerve or it is not. Basic binary. Data/Memory is constant read/write, continually being updated. And we can measure the computing power of an average human brain (2.2 billion megaFLOPS, above, compared to supercomputer K's 8.2 billion megaFLOPS). Our brain may not operate like a computer, but the setup is remarkably similar, to say, our software is completely different, and our hardware only slightly different (neurons forming connections with many other neurons over time, for instance).

No. An impulse is different based on his voltage, and a wide array of different things. There's reasons we can't reconnect nerves, other than the sheer size.
Not even talking about hormones, and the actual life cycle of cells.
Unlike data, which is a state in computing, memory is a connection in the brain.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 13, 2012, 05:30:16 pm »

Um, no. I mean, I'm not sure where you're getting that 2.2 petaFLOPS, but if you look at how fast humans actually do math, it's more "seconds per floating-point operation" than "floating-point operations per second", and even more if you want to double check your results to get some that are right.

While neurons may be binary, I strongly doubt adding is done at that level. While it hasn't been disproved, there isn't really any evidence suggesting that the human brain would do maths with bit adders. Humans are emulating logic with the parts of their brains that usually deal with language. :P Furthermore, brains have all kinds of chemicals sloshing around, affecting processes left and right. To give some concrete examples, having nicotine, caffeine or opium in your bloodstream affects your thinking, as does getting your body's own hormone-secreting glands surgically removed.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 13, 2012, 05:31:47 pm »

Perhaps that's the number of operations it would take to emulate a similar behavior on a computer?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 13, 2012, 05:46:23 pm »

So wait, that means we can configure a human brain to be awesome at math and be a machine?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18