Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Author Topic: Humans : obsolete  (Read 14290 times)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
Re: Humans : obsolete
« Reply #195 on: December 12, 2012, 07:06:28 pm »

How do you know it doesn't? Can you trace back the path of every single one of your thoughts? Or even a decent portion of them?

I'm probably not a good example for this because I'm a bit mad and as such have a nebulous identity, but I'd like to think most of my thoughts resulted as a combination of my sense - experiences and my current brain structure at that time, rather than because Ivan across the street thought them. :P

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #196 on: December 12, 2012, 07:42:51 pm »

What if Ivan has a Thought Projector 9000?  Or some other device with magnets that can cause the brain to think/experience certain things... like in some studies...
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 12, 2012, 07:57:49 pm »

/haven't read rest of topic disclaimer
The funny thing here is that literally the last post before you was talking about a method that gets around this problem. BAsically what we do is replace your brain one chunk at a time, thus ensuring continuity of consciousness. So we put you to sleep, replace a chunk of your brain, and then wake you back up. Then if everything is working correctly (the fact that we get to test that is another nice side effect of this method) we put you back to sleep again, replace the next chunk, and so on. That way your brain is still you, and it removes the whole "perfect copy but not really you" problem.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 12, 2012, 08:03:08 pm »

Whether that chunk is like "Okay, now the visual cortex!", or replacing each neuron one at a time via nanobots or something.

Dunno about needing to be asleep. Reason they keep you awake during brain surgery is that if something goes wrong, the only person who can tell the doctor exactly what went wrong ("I smell peanuts now...") is the patient.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 12, 2012, 08:03:55 pm »

*nods thoughtfully*

Seems like it may actually work; the tech would need to be organic / inorganic as well as inorganic / inorganic compatible though, which would be difficult. :)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 12, 2012, 08:10:03 pm »

Whether that chunk is like "Okay, now the visual cortex!", or replacing each neuron one at a time via nanobots or something.

Dunno about needing to be asleep. Reason they keep you awake during brain surgery is that if something goes wrong, the only person who can tell the doctor exactly what went wrong ("I smell peanuts now...") is the patient.
Or "Your face just melted. That was weird."
It's not only if something goes wrong, it helps serve as a road map to figure out where they are in your brain. Electrical stimulation will tell them exactly what is done there, which in surgery helps figure out what to avoid and what isn't so critical. If you are doing wholesale replacement, it may still help a bit, though I suspect the prior mapping would already have that down completely.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 12, 2012, 08:34:00 pm »

Or how about the idea of enhancing the bodies we currently have?

Let's take muscles as an example, because they are the most obvious. You work out and this tears the muscle. The body simultaneously tries to close the wounds and grows new tissue to fill the gap. Additionally, there is a biological limit to how much muscle your body can grow without some sort of stimulant. Now, enter steroids. These allow the body to grow new muscle tissue faster, allowing for faster growth. They also allow more muscle to grow, where the body would normally be physically incapable of growing it otherwise.

This is just steroids for muscle growth. Why not try steroids for bone strength? Chemicals to make the bones harder, the marrow denser. The brain continues to develop, even as an adult. As the brain is "exercised" it develops more folds and more neurological pathways. Who's to say we can't speed up that growth as well?

I'm not saying that we should necessarily use the steroids of today, but such chemicals would avoid many of the nasty ethical dilemmas associated with cybernetics and genetic engineering. It's there, but nobody is going after it. The precedent is set; we know it can be done.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #202 on: December 12, 2012, 08:35:09 pm »

Replacing chunks at a time miiiight be better than transferring the whole brain via scanning or whatever.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 12, 2012, 08:39:30 pm »

I see no need, and I still don't know what ethical dilemma you see in cybernetics.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 12, 2012, 08:51:01 pm »

The only ethical dilemma in cybernetics is the ethics of who gets access to it, and the benefit it gives them and their families over the generations. Both of those points are societal, and not necessarily intrinsic to the technology (Internet, anyone?) And the former half is DEFINITELY not just related to cybernetics, but a whole host of technologies.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 12, 2012, 09:21:57 pm »

I see no need, and I still don't know what ethical dilemma you see in cybernetics.
To those that consider the body as a defining part of what it means to be human, cybernetics may seem very highly in-ethical. If you can't at least meet me halfway, I don't think we are ever going to see eye to eye.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 12, 2012, 09:26:44 pm »

Okay. Why is it a defining part?

And what about people with prosthetic limbs? What's your stance on them, and if it's "They're human", what's the difference between that and cybernetics? And whatever that difference is, what makes that define one as human, and the other as not?

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 12, 2012, 09:27:23 pm »

My main issue with computer - brains is the possibility of mind - control viruses. :P

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 12, 2012, 09:29:36 pm »

They already have those. Except they don't control you to put money into somebodies bank account, they control you to make more of the virus, then you die.
It is pretty bad for all involved. Except the virus, they don't have feelings.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 12, 2012, 09:30:13 pm »

Replacing chunks at a time miiiight be better than transferring the whole brain via scanning or whatever.

I really don't think this method helps anything. What if replacing a certain chunk breaks continuity of consciousness? It's impossible to tell.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18