Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18

Author Topic: Humans : obsolete  (Read 14309 times)

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
Re: Humans : obsolete
« Reply #165 on: December 12, 2012, 01:26:05 pm »

The soul is our humanity, our link to God and to each other.
Mine seems to be in operable; I’m not able to communicate with either.

Maybe I’m that philosophical zombie you’ve heard so much about.

Obviously we need a Philosophical Zombie Society for collections of physics/patterns like us.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 12, 2012, 02:13:12 pm »

I don't know why you all are so worried about there not being any "pure" humans (which is kind of prejudiced, in my opinion). Even if we have extensive cybernetic modifications, the biological children of Transhumans are still going to be Humans. At most we'll be genefixing them before they're born, but frankly the kind of genes we'd want to dispose of are the kind I don't care about humanity keeping. Genetic disorders are not the heritage of our species.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 12, 2012, 02:17:55 pm »

Eh, who's worried about that? DXA? I think he was being facetious.

The OP? Um, I dunno about him.

Can't think of anyone else.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 12, 2012, 02:54:09 pm »

I don't know why you all are so worried about there not being any "pure" humans (which is kind of prejudiced, in my opinion). Even if we have extensive cybernetic modifications, the biological children of Transhumans are still going to be Humans. At most we'll be genefixing them before they're born, but frankly the kind of genes we'd want to dispose of are the kind I don't care about humanity keeping. Genetic disorders are not the heritage of our species.
How dare you deny my potential grandchildren their birthright of floppy heart valves and hyperflexible joints!

Seriously though, this runs into the thorny question of what constitutes a "defect" and what constitutes variation. If there were a gene discovered that predisposes for homosexuality, you can be damn sure there would be a group of people lobbying to have all children tested and gene therapy done to "erase the defect".  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 12, 2012, 03:09:11 pm »

If there are "gay genes", it is a safe bet that most people at least carry some of them, even if they don't display them. Same goes for autism. It's pretty much impossible to eliminate.

Plus, I'd imagine we'd enact legislation restricting pre-birth genefixing to things that are physically harmful. I'd say that's a good policy.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 12, 2012, 03:17:16 pm »

They'd argue it *was* physically harmful. Not saying they'd be at all justified, just saying they'd try. And some legislators would be among their numbers.

Then there's things like lactose-intolerance. Which is actually the genetic "norm" for the species as a whole, but is replaced with a beneficial mutation found in the majority of Caucasian populations. Although "beneficial" may be YMMV, considering there's a school of thought that argues humans shouldn't drink animal milk.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 12, 2012, 03:41:15 pm »

They'd argue it *was* physically harmful. Not saying they'd be at all justified, just saying they'd try. And some legislators would be among their numbers.
They'd already fail. Even amongst most of those who oppose gay rights, I doubt we'd see much support for eugenic genocide. I think it's fair to say that the new normal in Western culture has become acceptance of homosexuality.

Then there's things like lactose-intolerance. Which is actually the genetic "norm" for the species as a whole, but is replaced with a beneficial mutation found in the majority of Caucasian populations. Although "beneficial" may be YMMV, considering there's a school of thought that argues humans shouldn't drink animal milk.
Lactose tolerance is spreading even without our intervention. I would rule that you could give your children lactose tolerance, but not take it away.
No Gods, No Masters.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 12, 2012, 03:49:20 pm »

Man, do you guys on the internet never sleep or something?  Aw, you're part of the 'net already, aren't you?  :)

You might know, the Ten Commandments can be summarized into 1)Love God; 2)Love other people.
That is not exactly accurate. Especially the second point. The Ten Commandments demands towards treatment of other people are not very demanding: Honor your parents, don't kill, don't steal, don't adulterate, don't perjure, don't covet. I don't even violate those standards towards people I hate. Except the coveting, but that isn't even harmful.

As for the first, you could still love Yahweh and have other gods, worship Yahweh through a graven image, take his name in vain, and work on the Sabbath. It is very explicitly emphasizing a style of worship rather than loving this particular god at all.
No.  That I did not come up with that one, Jesus did.  And I summarized them a little bit.  The first one is fully "love the lord your God with all your heart, all your mind, and all your soul."  It isn't just "loving," though you can not possibly worship other gods and still love YHWH.  No one can have two masters, one will be loved and the other scorned.
And, as I say later in that comment, I know you love your neighbor.  I say that.  I think you're part of the non-Christians who aren't dicks.  Only a few are, and there are just as many "Christian" assholes as there are atheist assholes.

So... yeah.  I guess that's sorta my overall stance on y'all.  But I would never try to judge you, that isn't my place.  I want you guys to know that.
You are totally judging us, you're just sugarcoating it and diverting it off onto your religion.
No.  I have never met you, and I don't know what is going to happen to either of us.  Hell, maybe you'll go to Paradise and I'll go to Hell.  I don't know what will happen.  And I won't try to figure out what will happen.  Please, don't assume you know what I think of you.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 12, 2012, 04:05:06 pm »

I asked a philosophy professor about this, and he got into the soul quick enough.  Its another aspect of this, but only if you believe in a soul.  He doesn't but he knows I consider this stuff, so. . . In the end it ended up as typical, "If god exists and he let's evil happen, isn't he evil for his complacency?"

We had a fun a talk about that and that led into Solomon's Keys and long story short, he never actually answered my questioned.  Go figure, how philosophical.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 12, 2012, 04:16:30 pm »

Can we keep religion to the religion thread? This is the Human ascendancy or no thread, and while I'm sure religion would play a part in the dilemma, this isn't the thread for it.
Alright, I'm fine with that.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2012, 04:39:21 pm »

I am all for making humanity better.
We need to change fast, and MUTATION TOO SLOW.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 12, 2012, 05:11:52 pm »

Ooh, then we get to put our "breeding stock" on special reservations, and issue other restrictions to keep them safe and pure.

Yeah, there's no way that can become dystopic and horrible.
I see it going pretty well.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This idea right here is probably the best, and it gets around the whole "copies aren't really you" problem. All we have to do is replace your brain one piece at a time, so we put you under, replace a chunk, and then wake you back up. It would even provide helpful feedback in that we would be able to check to see if each replaced chunk was working correctly before we replace the next one.
I very much like this idea. Also avoids the problem that alway presented.

Can't believe this thread has gone on so long without mention of Ray Kurzweil!
The Singularity is Near is excellent reading for this topic.
I was first.
Also, the singularity he talks about is not the melding of man and machine, as many misconceive. This is actually it, summarized below.

Maybe I’m that philosophical zombie you’ve heard so much about.
Obviously we need a Philosophical Zombie Society for collections of physics/patterns like us.
I'm only pretending to be a philosophical zombie.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 12, 2012, 05:15:42 pm »

Aside from actually pulling out your brain and putting it in a robot body, I don't see how you can have a continuous chain of existence.

/haven't read rest of topic disclaimer

I'm glad somebody noticed this. This is where most theories of 'clone - bodies' or 'copy of conciousness' come in. Yes, the being created is exactly like you, but it isn't you. For example - if my brain data is copied into a machine that then replaces me, I have generated Korbac 2 from Korbac 1. To everyone else, their behavior is identical, but effectively, Korbac 1 is dead.

An interesting idea to consider is that Korbac 2 will think he's Korbac 1, and Korbac 1 won't be able to tell them otherwise (because he's dead.) Thus leading us to develop technologies which result in all of us killing ourselves accidentally. :P

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2012, 05:19:37 pm »

You should probably read the rest of the thread then, since plenty of us are in opposition to that viewpoint.
No Gods, No Masters.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2012, 05:23:05 pm »

Aside from actually pulling out your brain and putting it in a robot body, I don't see how you can have a continuous chain of existence.

/haven't read rest of topic disclaimer

I'm glad somebody noticed this. This is where most theories of 'clone - bodies' or 'copy of conciousness' come in. Yes, the being created is exactly like you, but it isn't you. For example - if my brain data is copied into a machine that then replaces me, I have generated Korbac 2 from Korbac 1. To everyone else, their behavior is identical, but effectively, Korbac 1 is dead.

An interesting idea to consider is that Korbac 2 will think he's Korbac 1, and Korbac 1 won't be able to tell them otherwise (because he's dead.) Thus leading us to develop technologies which result in all of us killing ourselves accidentally. :P
If it makes you feel better, the continuous you is an illusion created by the current version of your mind to make sense of past experience.
I would post an SMBC because relevance but I can't pick one.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18