Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

Author Topic: BM XXXVIII: Jackelope Bandits: Scum Win: Across the Border  (Read 60360 times)

fraxert

• Bay Watcher
  • hey-di-lee hi, and ho-di-lee hok
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVIII: Jackelope Bandits Day 1: The Courthouse
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2013, 06:49:22 pm »

Fraxert: What's the best thing about living in Texas?
The tumbleweeds, (I have seen one as big as a smart car) and the wind I guess (I live on the panhandle which is on the great plains, so we  have fairly strong wind.  I must say I dislike the tornadoes, however.

I wasn't aware they got that big. I find this to be kind of alarming. Perhaps the bandits aren't our biggest concern ...

... but then, we can't hang tumbleweeds, so I s'pose it's not worth losing sleep over.

It is a rarity.  Most range from a foot in diameter to three or four feet.
"Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason." - StarkRavingMad

Onyxjew944

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear no man, and trust no wizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2013, 06:53:54 pm »

The tumbleweeds, (I have seen one as big as a smart car) and the wind I guess (I live on the panhandle which is on the great plains, so we  have fairly strong wind.  I must say I dislike the tornadoes, however.

I wasn't aware they got that big. I find this to be kind of alarming. Perhaps the bandits aren't our biggest concern ...

... but then, we can't hang tumbleweeds, so I s'pose it's not worth losing sleep over.

All my ideas of Walmart-bag-sized tumbleweeds just keeled over. I had no idea hunks of dead plant would accumulate to that size.
Greater Collection
Quote from: Steel Resolve
I shall be ready! My head is full of disturbing but useful information. And all it cost me was my peace of mind and sanity. A bargain!
They told me to aim higher, so we dug deeper.

ReDeadEr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2013, 06:59:46 pm »

ReDeadEr: Why aren't you randomly accusing like everyone else? also, does your name mean:

a. You were very dead (deader), but you came back to life and were killed violently agian.
     b. You are a very powerful Legend of Zelda Zombie.
     c. You are an Emergency Room for Legend of Zelda Zombies. (redead ER)
     d. other (explain)

ReDeadEr How do I pronounce your name?

I refer the both of you to my earlier response to the good captain.

As for why I'm not randomly accusing people like everybody else, I'd rather like to have my facts straight before I commit to anything.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVIII: Jackelope Bandits [Sign-ups] Day 1: The Courthouse
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2013, 07:39:45 pm »

notquitethere Then where are you?

I'm in Jackelope courthouse, investigating the murder of my dear friend Ol' Jimmy Pete, Gawd rest his bones.

NotQuiteThere: When will you get there?

We'll all get to where we need to be when there are two guilty folk strung up.

Looks around suspiciously at Tiriun and the Ironyowl.

"I'll give you 'til tomorrow and if you still aint said yer piece by then I can't say I won't be suspicious."

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2013, 09:37:28 pm »

+!!scientist!!+:[/b]

b. other than giving our lynching tree a fine looking ornament (I am well-made after all, just look at my name) lynching me would only be the killing of a loyal, innocent citizen.

Is this a role claim?

I'm just saying don't kill me. Nobody wants to die today. Besides, is your great tactic for finding these bandits asking people if their dying will benifit you? nobody would say no! Now I don't want to overreact to this, but I'm starting to think that you, Captain Ford, are a bandit.

"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"

fraxert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2013, 09:52:35 pm »

All my ideas of Walmart-bag-sized tumbleweeds just keeled over. I had no idea hunks of dead plant would accumulate to that size.

Well it just depends on how well nourished they are.  A tumble weed is just a big ball, somewhat similar to a bush, of thorns with a main trunk which weakens with a drought or autumn.  The bigger they get the more the wind will catch them (they have a lot of air, the smart-car sized one wasn't incredibly heavy (it was pushed by a fifty mile per hour breeze with seventy mile per hour gusts)) and the farther their seeds will spread.  If enough hit a barbed-wire fence at once, they can take it down.
"Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason." - StarkRavingMad

burn_heal

• Bay Watcher
  • "G'day folks!"
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVIII: Jackelope Bandits [Sign-ups] Day 1: The Courthouse
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2013, 09:59:33 pm »

Burn_Heal I believe scientist has need of you in the foyer.

Sorry did I miss something?

@scientist: that would depend whether being on fire makes one scummier or not...

Fraxert If you were mafia, how would you act the first day?

Ironyowl Do you enjoy better being a mafia or a townsperson?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2013, 10:00:27 pm »

Why are all of you bothering to talk about things that aren't mafia?

I'm not your IC but I've been one multiple times.

Focus on the game and not things extraneous to it, like silly questions or flavor.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

fraxert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2013, 10:06:43 pm »

Well it just depends on how well nourished they are.  A tumble weed is just a big ball, somewhat similar to a bush, of thorns with a main trunk which weakens with a drought or autumn.  The bigger they get the more the wind will catch them (they have a lot of air, the smart-car sized one wasn't incredibly heavy (it was pushed by a fifty mile per hour breeze with seventy mile per hour gusts)) and the farther their seeds will spread.  If enough hit a barbed-wire fence at once, they can take it down.
I was just corrected, the smart-car one was very heavy (it wasn't pushed by those breezes it was found on the side of the road, we brought it to my uncle's house and we decorated it because we were over for Christmas).  I was also reminded that if you hit one going down the highway at seventy-five miles per hour it can break the grille of your car.

Also sorry, Jim. I'll get back to the game.

Unvote

+!!scientist!!+, you're acting rather defensive.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2013, 10:12:33 pm »

Welcome everyone! As one of the more experienced scumhunters round these parts, I'll be here to give you a few pointers.

Now, as most of you seem to have figured out, we're currently in RVS, or Random Vote Stage. This is the part of the game where we don't have anything to go on, so we have to make something to go on by flailing around a lot.

However, ideally this flailing should also help give us at least rudimentary information on other players, which is why game-related stuff is usually better than favorite flavor of ice cream and so on. That said, anything is better than nothing, and sillier questions can sometimes still be of use.

Or more or less what Jim ninja'd me to say considerably more bluntly. Jim is wise, so you should consider listening to him when he talks.

So, on we go:

Onyxjew:
Ironyown I sense an inside joke within your username, that, or random.org has made a fool of me again. Any thoughts on the matter?
It was partially inspired by a valiant owl that managed to enrage my opponent sufficiently to eat a condemn (he was losing anyway).

Speaking of which, if you could have a role inspired by any color from Magic: The Gathering, what color would that be?

!!scientist!!:
Ironyown: What came first, the chicken, the egg, or the chicken sandwich?
Depends on whether you define a chicken egg to be an egg containing a chicken or an egg laid by a chicken. I would generally lean towards egg.

Also, would you rather be a water bear or a regular bear? How come?

I'm just saying don't kill me. Nobody wants to die today. Besides, is your great tactic for finding these bandits asking people if their dying will benifit you? nobody would say no! Now I don't want to overreact to this, but I'm starting to think that you, Captain Ford, are a bandit.
Now this seems oddly defensive, doesn't it? "I'm just saying don't kill me?" While we're at it, don't kill me either! We should get a tally going of people who don't want to die.

Captain Ford:
Before I answer any more questions, I must confess some amusement at how several players have picked up Nerjin's mispelling of IronyOwl's name in post #28. Kind of interesting to know that they're referring to that post rather than the OP for picking their RVS targets.
So you don't think there's anything to that?

Also, the origin of your username is awesome. Speaking of which, would you rather be a doctor (protects target from a kill), vig (kills target at night), or roleblocker (prevents target from actioning that night)?

notquitethere:
Looks around suspiciously at Tiriun and the Ironyowl.

"I'll give you 'til tomorrow and if you still aint said yer piece by then I can't say I won't be suspicious."

Ye'll wait as long as ye need to fer me te get whar I'm goin', boy.

Speakin' a which, would you rather a player be moderate in post frequency and quality, or very high in post quality but rather sparse in frequency?

burn_heal
Ironyowl Do you enjoy better being a mafia or a townsperson?
That's a tough one. Being mafia is probably more fun because of the "teehee nobody suspects a thing!" part, but only when you act like a townie; the temptation to just lurk makes the game less fun as scum. Being townie is also fun because it gives you a more obvious goal- find scum- as opposed to scum's more nebulous "anything it takes to run out the clock."

Tiruin, nobody seems to be questioning you. That's no fun. Would you rather have a one-shot inspect or a two-shot roleblock?

fraxert:
Is that all? How do you feel he could react to this in a way that will give you a better read on him?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

fraxert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2013, 10:40:50 pm »

fraxert:
Is that all? How do you feel he could react to this in a way that will give you a better read on him?
I figure that his insistence on innocence was suspicious, so I vote him for suspicious activity.  Scum seem more likely to become defensive or offensive, so if he responds strongly to the accusation I let the vote stand on a basis of more heavy suspicion.  If he doesn't respond as strongly (no response is unlikely in any case) I assume innocence and unvote.

Now, however, because I explained myself, he knows how to act to get me to drop it, so my vote shall stand. 

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2013, 11:08:15 pm »

Fraxert, you're not making this very easy on me.  :-\ I don't know what to do, because at the moment I haven't seen anything to make me sure enough to hunt down any particular person. I think that the captain blaming me for giving the only answer possible to his question was suspicious enough to be brought to attention, but I haven't even voted for him. At this moment all I'm trying to do is live, because right now I've got 2 more votes than anyone else, and in my book that's a bad sign in a lynching vote. This post is intended to be calm, but I realize that at the moment even this could look defensive. I understand that everything I've said things that could be said by scum, but please try to understand that it all could be, and was, said by a townie.

On a lighter note,

I would prefer to be a normal bear with the invincibilty of a water bear, but while I think water bears are awesome, I would have to side with the regular bear for it's brain and concious life span.
"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"

ReDeadEr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2013, 11:18:38 pm »

While I find +!!scientist!!+'s responses to be somewhat suspicious, now that he mentions it, Captain Ford's not above suspicion himself...

Is it normal, in your first game of Mafia, to feel somewhat out of your depth?

fraxert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2013, 11:19:54 pm »

+!!scientist!!+, I don't know what to say.  Me says "guilty", and Myself says "he makes a fair argument".  (I says "hahaha those dorfs, man", but that is neither here nor there)

Unvote

IronyOwl, why are you making me question my sanity?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2013, 11:43:23 pm »

fraxert:
I figure that his insistence on innocence was suspicious, so I vote him for suspicious activity.  Scum seem more likely to become defensive or offensive, so if he responds strongly to the accusation I let the vote stand on a basis of more heavy suspicion.  If he doesn't respond as strongly (no response is unlikely in any case) I assume innocence and unvote.
By "let the vote stand," do you mean turn it into a lynchvote? Are you saying that if he'd answered calmly/quickly you'd have written him off as town and moved on?

Now, however, because I explained myself, he knows how to act to get me to drop it, so my vote shall stand. 
What was your plan here?

+!!scientist!!+, I don't know what to say.  Me says "guilty", and Myself says "he makes a fair argument".  (I says "hahaha those dorfs, man", but that is neither here nor there)

Unvote

IronyOwl, why are you making me question my sanity?
Probably because it could use a review. Did Bookthras suggest this turnaround, from "letting your vote stand" to "Gee I dunno he could be either one?"

If you don't know what to say, you should attempt to scumhunt more. If there's nothing more to go on with !!scientist!!, then just keep an eye on him and move to another target.

!!scientist!!:
Fraxert, you're not making this very easy on me.  :-\ I don't know what to do, because at the moment I haven't seen anything to make me sure enough to hunt down any particular person. I think that the captain blaming me for giving the only answer possible to his question was suspicious enough to be brought to attention, but I haven't even voted for him. At this moment all I'm trying to do is live, because right now I've got 2 more votes than anyone else, and in my book that's a bad sign in a lynching vote. This post is intended to be calm, but I realize that at the moment even this could look defensive. I understand that everything I've said things that could be said by scum, but please try to understand that it all could be, and was, said by a townie.

On a lighter note,

I would prefer to be a normal bear with the invincibilty of a water bear, but while I think water bears are awesome, I would have to side with the regular bear for it's brain and concious life span.
Ah yes, the noob death spiral. It's a tragic thing, really.

"I don't know what to do because nobody looks scummy" is lazy and scummy. The whole point of mafia is to find something scummy, not sit around waiting for someone to run out, waving their arms and screaming "I have a nightkill! I have a nightkill!" If you don't have any concrete suspicions, question seemingly innocuous things that might turn out anyway, including more RVS questions if necessary. You should never be sitting around with nothing to do.

"I realize this could be scummy but you've gotta believe me it's not" is also lazy and scummy. It's appealing to emotion or basically asking everyone to assume that you're town for no reason. If people suspect you, explain why their suspicions aren't especially sound or accept that they have valid reason to suspect you, then resume hunting for scum.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21