Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21

Author Topic: BM XXXVIII: Jackelope Bandits: Scum Win: Across the Border  (Read 60347 times)

burn_heal

• Bay Watcher
  • "G'day folks!"
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVIII: Jackelope Bandits Day 1: The Courthouse
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2013, 01:03:05 am »

I can't figure out how to hunt scum
So there's no one you're even slightly suspicious of?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2013, 07:49:46 am »

fraxert:
fraxert:
I figure that his insistence on innocence was suspicious, so I vote him for suspicious activity.  Scum seem more likely to become defensive or offensive, so if he responds strongly to the accusation I let the vote stand on a basis of more heavy suspicion.  If he doesn't respond as strongly (no response is unlikely in any case) I assume innocence and unvote.
By "let the vote stand," do you mean turn it into a lynchvote? Are you saying that if he'd answered calmly/quickly you'd have written him off as town and moved on?
Not so much quickly as calmly, and I guess I should have mentioned logically.  My point was that more lynchvotes would likely put an inexperienced scum off-balance, albeit I wasn't thinking about the guidance they are getting from the ScumIC.
This is good reasoning, but what I'm wondering about is the next step. You seemed to be implying that depending on how he responded to that one question, you'd have written him off as innocent or guilty.

Also, "lynchvote" tends to refer to a vote whose purpose is to dispose of someone come day end, as opposed to a "pressure vote" which is designed to force a reaction out of someone because they think they might be in the noose.

Now, however, because I explained myself, he knows how to act to get me to drop it, so my vote shall stand. 
What was your plan here?
Unfortunately, because of the prohibition on PMs I couldn't explain myself to you privately, and not answering would likely bring about lynchvotes.  Although, it now occurs to me that answering privately would likely still instigate votes against me.
I meant the "let the vote stand" part.

I was being wishy-washy.  Perhaps I still am.
Your suggestion for more scumhunting does appear to be wise (you are an IC), but I am still suspicious of +!!scientist!!+ and my sanity is still missing.
I Unvote for now.
Then why aren't you hunting anyone, !!scientist!! or otherwise?

ReDeadEr:
Alright, so I've had some time to sleep on it and I've decided to go with my gut.

Captain Ford, I find your actions somewhat suspect. More specifically, your attempt to make a simple statement by +!!scientist!!+ out to be a roleclaim.
Votes and suspicions tend to work better in the form of a question, unless you're absolutely sure and trying to convince others.

For instance, compare the following:

You've been lurking, so I think you're scum.
You've been lurking an awful lot. Don't you want to catch scum? It's not looking like it.

Now consider how someone would respond to each of them. For the statement, they might not respond at all- you're not asking them anything, after all- and if they do, it might not be what you wanted to know. For the question, even a relatively meaningless question like that (the answer's never going to be no), they'll feel much more obliged to respond, and that response will probably be more what you were looking for- you got to design the question, after all.

Onyxjew:
Tiruin. One incredibly lengthy post after five pages of deliberation, a strong set of questions, advice I seem to have already forgotten, and a mild bit of Tolkien. Apparently you have some experience with this particular game. What, exactly, would you define as a proper question "relevant to the game"?

Ironyowl. Same question I delivered Tiruin. I think most of us are here to learn the mechanics. More examples have never hurt.
Anything that gives you more of a useful read on someone. So for instance, asking them their favorite book or ice cream flavor probably isn't going to help you get a grasp on them as a mafia player. Asking them what role they'd prefer, who they'd like as scumbuddies, or what they'd do in a given hypothetical situation might, however.

For instance, let's say it's LYLO, you're scum, and your partner is still alive. If you lynch town, you win. If you don't lynch town, it goes to another day and everyone knows whose interactions to look at. Your partner makes a slipup and starts getting heat, but it's not completely unsalvageable. If you go for another lynch, you might be able to save him and win the game. You might also fail and look really bad come tomorrow. What do you do?

So, in this case, however you answer might give me a better read on your playstyle. Even if this particular situation never comes up, and even if nothing particularly like this comes up, I'll still get to know you a little better as a mafia player, and thus be a little more able to figure out when something's off.

Oh, and the Magic question was an attempt at reading playstyle indirectly. It largely failed because you're not familiar with Magic, and I didn't have high hopes for it anyway, but I still know a little bit more about you than I did before I asked it.

Ah, what a confusing game. Undeniably intriguing, yet confusing to an initiate.
Yep. Among other issues, there's not a lot of concrete stuff to latch onto like there is with most games; it's all gut and theory and trying to read intent and sense genuine patterns amongst arbitrary stuff.

notquitethere: Well done. You seem to have a fair idea of what you're doing.

burn_heal:
but Jim Groovestar would much rather be getting on with strictly mafia-related questioning.

I think Jim was concerned we were letting the theme sidetrack us. He probably thinks we should Keep It Simple for now. We are beginners after all.

Then I guess some people aren’t into the roleplaying element as much as others, partner. ;)
I think he was more concerned about the RVS questions not really relating to anything in general. He's not a big fan of "Did you see that latest movie?" style fluff.

+!!scientist!!+:
At this point I gotta say I found out I'm bad at mafia. I can't figure out how to hunt scum, (despite looking at the guides repeatedly) and every attempt has made me look more scummy.

What I will say is I made a stupid mistake: for whatever reason I thought that Captain Ford was saying that I was being to insistant that I was townie, when that was the only possible response. If I understand correctly he was asking if I was claiming a power role, (the answer is no) and that's a lot less scummy. My only question is why Captain Ford asked me if it was a role claim in the first place.
Everyone's bad at mafia until they get better. Never give up.

Hunting scum means getting reads on your fellow players. This can be tricky because there isn't a magic way to go about this; there's no game mechanic that reveals somebody's Emotion Card or anything, you just have to read what they wrote and figure out what's going on in there. That also takes some practice.

So, continue to ask questions. If there's anything that strikes you as strange or interesting or just a possible lead into one of those, ask about it. If there isn't, look harder.

For instance, I'll ask you a question. Oh... how do you feel about Onyxjew being the third person to comment on Captain Ford needing to be clearer on his intentions? However you answer should give me a better read on you, don't you think?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2013, 11:14:45 am »

Time seemed to drag on as the minutes turned to hours. Soon the sun began to begin its journey southward. “We’re almost out of time… I reckon the votin’ need ta stops once the sun goes down yonder. We oughta be able to have figured outta cowards by then...” Said one of the braver townsfolk. When others began to agree with him those who found themselves on the chopping block became a little less than pleased however they raised no objection due to what it may make them look like. All they knew was that somebody, probably two somebodies, were framing them.

Day ends in 30 hours. January 11, at 5Pm [1700]

The Old Parchment Reads:

notquitethere:

Burn_heal:

Onyxjew944:

Captain Ford: burn_heal,   ReDeadEr

ReDeadEr:

Fraxert: notquitethere,   

+!!scientist!!+: Captain Ford,   Onyxjew944,   Tiruin,

Tiriun: Ironyowl,

Ironyowl:

Not Voting: Captain Ford,   Fraxert,   +!!scientist!!+, 

Votes for Extension: 1/3
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2013, 01:11:33 pm »

b. other than giving our lynching tree a fine looking ornament (I am well-made after all, just look at my name) lynching me would only be the killing of a loyal, innocent citizen.

Is this a role claim?

Captain Ford, I find your actions somewhat suspect. More specifically, your attempt to make a simple statement by +!!scientist!!+ out to be a roleclaim.

Captain Ford, I think you need to explain exactly what you were trying to achieve with your comment above.

I don't understand why you think it is suspicious. It was a fair question, and it got a good response. Why are you attacking it?

My only question is why Captain Ford asked me if it was a role claim in the first place.

To make you squirm.

It was effective, I take it.

Spoiler: Off-Topic (click to show/hide)

Unvote. I will find another target soon.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2013, 01:39:40 pm »

Tiruin: Let's imagine you're a bandit and your partner in crime has just been lynched, and you yourself picked up a few lynch-votes. Would you rather nightkill the person that had led the successful lynch against your partner, or would you rather nightkill someone that had voted for you to be lynched?

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVIII: Jackelope Bandits [Sign-ups] Day 1: The Courthouse
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2013, 02:40:02 pm »

Spoiler: Off Topic (click to show/hide)

burn_heal:
Fraxert If you were mafia, how would you act the first day?

This question sounds an awful lot like you were fishing for advice. What kind of answer were you expecting?

I also can't help but notice that Fraxert didn't answer it.

Tiruin: Why no post last night?

ReDeadEr: Congratulations on your (moderately) successful activelurking. I almost didn't notice. But a quick scan over the past few days made it pretty obvious.

You call for an extension, claiming there's little to go on, but contribute nothing. There's plenty to go on right now. I don't think we'll be needing an extension.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

burn_heal

• Bay Watcher
  • "G'day folks!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2013, 03:54:13 pm »

I don't understand why you think it is suspicious. It was a fair question, and it got a good response. Why are you attacking it?
I found it a little unclear what your intentions were.

Fraxert If you were mafia, how would you act the first day?

This question sounds an awful lot like you were fishing for advice. What kind of answer were you expecting?

Heh. I was hoping for something incriminating, but anyway...

I also can't help but notice that Fraxert didn't answer it.
Yes, though I believe there was a bit going on at the time.

ReDeadEr: Congratulations on your (moderately) successful activelurking. I almost didn't notice. But a quick scan over the past few days made it pretty obvious.
Hmmm.... not wanting to commit to lynching your scumbuddy scientist, ReadDeadEr?

ReDeadEr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2013, 04:21:50 pm »

You call for an extension, claiming there's little to go on, but contribute nothing. There's plenty to go on right now. I don't think we'll be needing an extension.

Before I respond to this, I'd like to know what activelurking is so that I know what I'm being accused of.

Also, burn_heal, I'm actually starting to think that I might have been wrong in my assumption that Captain Ford was scum, but I'm kind of worried that if I switch my vote to scientist it'll be seen as bandwagoning.

Onyxjew944

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear no man, and trust no wizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2013, 05:33:40 pm »

Spoiler: Something or Other (click to show/hide)
[/quote]

I was avoiding answering that question until someone got it. Worth the wait.[/spoiler]

Weeeeeellllllll... lookie here. We got paranoia runnin' rampant. Should be fun.

IronyOwl Thank you. Definitely cleared that issue up. I was thinking you meant relative to this game of mafia. Which, I think, is impossible. At least for now. Anyhow, in the event that your buddy had just been lynched, you had a few votes stacked, not quite enough for next turn to be a death sentence but votes nonetheless, and you just made a slip-up. How would you cover your tracks?

+‼scientist‼+ If you could choose a role, what would it be?

Open-Ended
In the event that someone accidentally asks a set of questions that seem to implicate them in a way that is heavily unfavorable in retrospect, what would be the proper way to convince the town that it is, in fact, coincidence?
Greater Collection
Quote from: Steel Resolve
I shall be ready! My head is full of disturbing but useful information. And all it cost me was my peace of mind and sanity. A bargain!
They told me to aim higher, so we dug deeper.

burn_heal

• Bay Watcher
  • "G'day folks!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2013, 08:02:32 pm »

...until someone got it.
oh… haha

In the event that someone accidentally asks a set of questions that seem to implicate them in a way that is heavily unfavorable in retrospect,
what would be the proper way to convince the town that it is, in fact, coincidence?
I think the proper way would be to not look too self-conscious and focus on the scum. Unless you're mafia that is.

Also, burn_heal, I'm actually starting to think that I might have been wrong in my assumption that Captain Ford was scum, but I'm kind of worried that if I switch my vote to scientist it'll be seen as bandwagoning.
Or are you worried about your vote because scientist has three votes and two more will be a majority?

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2013, 09:24:27 pm »

Before I respond to this, I'd like to know what activelurking is so that I know what I'm being accused of.

Activelurking = Active + Lurking. Being active but not adding anything to the discussion.

On a sidenote, I am suddenly really fucking sick.

...can't think of much else to add at the moment. Will get back to the business of counting all my organs to make sure none of them have run off on me...

burn_heal

• Bay Watcher
  • "G'day folks!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2013, 10:43:13 pm »

Hope you get better soon.

You might need to :P

burn_heal

• Bay Watcher
  • "G'day folks!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2013, 12:21:40 am »

This is probably the last post I’ll get to make before the end of Day 1, due to my funny (Australian) timezone.

Captain Ford has appeased me for now. Unvote Captain Ford.

But I’ll be keepin’ that fella in ma sights… He’s a thinkern’ one that one. And y’all know that we simple folk gotta watch the clever ones…

*sneaks a glance at Tiruin and IronyOwl*

Now on to who I’m going to “lynchvote”.

Scientist, unfortunately, your earlier posts still stick in my head as rather damning. Either you’re a townsperson who is nervous, or a scumbag who stuffed up. I’m thinking perhaps the latter.

I almost feel kinda bad voting scientist.

…almost.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2013, 04:29:32 am »

PFP: The game day ends at 12 today. However I will be unable to make a post or lock the thread until a bit later than that. Everything that occurs AFTER 12 will not be counted.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2013, 05:11:03 am »

PFP: The game day ends at 12 today. However I will be unable to make a post or lock the thread until a bit later than that. Everything that occurs AFTER 12 will not be counted.
This is stupid. If the mod doesn't post, the day doesn't end. If you're unable to end the day at 12, just extend it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21