Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: BM XXXVIII: Jackelope Bandits: Scum Win: Across the Border  (Read 60346 times)

fraxert

• Bay Watcher
  • hey-di-lee hi, and ho-di-lee hok
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVIII: Jackelope Bandits Day 1: The Courthouse
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2013, 12:40:26 am »

fraxert:
I figure that his insistence on innocence was suspicious, so I vote him for suspicious activity.  Scum seem more likely to become defensive or offensive, so if he responds strongly to the accusation I let the vote stand on a basis of more heavy suspicion.  If he doesn't respond as strongly (no response is unlikely in any case) I assume innocence and unvote.
By "let the vote stand," do you mean turn it into a lynchvote? Are you saying that if he'd answered calmly/quickly you'd have written him off as town and moved on?
Not so much quickly as calmly, and I guess I should have mentioned logically.  My point was that more lynchvotes would likely put an inexperienced scum off-balance, albeit I wasn't thinking about the guidance they are getting from the ScumIC.

Now, however, because I explained myself, he knows how to act to get me to drop it, so my vote shall stand. 
What was your plan here?
Unfortunately, because of the prohibition on PMs I couldn't explain myself to you privately, and not answering would likely bring about lynchvotes.  Although, it now occurs to me that answering privately would likely still instigate votes against me.

+!!scientist!!+, I don't know what to say.  Me says "guilty", and Myself says "he makes a fair argument".  (I says "hahaha those dorfs, man", but that is neither here nor there)

Unvote

IronyOwl, why are you making me question my sanity?
Probably because it could use a review. Did Bookthras suggest this turnaround, from "letting your vote stand" to "Gee I dunno he could be either one?"

If you don't know what to say, you should attempt to scumhunt more. If there's nothing more; to go on with !!scientist!!, then just keep an eye on him and move to another target.
I was being wishy-washy.  Perhaps I still am.
Your suggestion for more scumhunting does appear to be wise (you are an IC), but I am still suspicious of +!!scientist!!+ and my sanity is still missing.
I Unvote for now.
"Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason." - StarkRavingMad

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2013, 03:12:35 am »

Well howdy cowboys and bandidos, the ol' man by the well and the gatekeeper. I'll be your fellowman for today along with IronyOwl, and its time we taught y'all good! It seems he has taken care of the basics.

So Welcome newbies and experienced folk alike! Due to net shenanigans, I haven't been able to visit Bay12 in the past days and am quite impressed with the posts right now. However, questions must still be made even if you've a good 'feel' of the other person. Conversation must keep flowing!

A note: For Town, you guys should focus on one thing- finding scum. To do this, you must ask pertinent questions, or in the case of such, ask questions related to Mafia. Things such as acting in character and questioning like the ol' detectives is OK, but return to being serious after while. For Scum, same deal. Act like a Townsperson.

Days count, hours pass. The clock unravels who will hang. Choose your words wisely, for time is precious.

Lets begin.

fraxert: I've noticed that you're into one liners, in the start, being your only vote. Now, while this is forum mafia, every post by a player is scrutinized and read well, and must at least contain things pertaining to the game.

Kadzar, what is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

It's RVS, yes, but this doesn't explain what use you're doing this for. You must put in things for people to bite on when thinking, or in the least post something for thought and not a random question pulled out of thin air...or of a reference to Monty Python.

Why are you targeting one person at a time, and questioning him only then?

Tiriun, whats with the pointy ears. Are you an elf?

And yes. My avatar is based on such. Why does being an Elf make me scum?

Lastly, what did you gain from all those other questions you made?

Captain Ford

Tiriun: From previous games, I'm aware that you live in a radically different timezone from the rest of us. What sort of challenges does that pose and how good do you think you are at dealing with them?
When Radical = Philippine timezone? Yeah. Let me list this in a comprehensive way. Also, its Tiruin XD

Quote from: Challenges
> Most of the activity comes from the Western part of the world, so when I post, I make sure to be as clear as possible, for I don't have the time to wait on a person's post.
> Day end. Since in general, things get 'spicy' at that time, most questions left near there would be hard for me to answer - most moderators live and post at a timezone where I am blissfully sleeping away...
Quote from: How good I think I'm dealing with them?
> Planning ahead.

...So I guess that's it. Most other things vary on the event.

Are you stalking me? Also, if you were the Cop, how would you justify your Inspect target?

NQT - shortening this because long to type. Thanks. ^_^

Tiriun, tell me straight up- did you kill Ol' Jimmy Pete?
I KILLED JIMMY PETE! Got a problem with that?

Oh dear.

Now, tell me what information you've gained from a question relating to flavor -- does that sort of answer give you and perceptions of me?

Tiruin Approximately how many of the players seen thus far have made a complete mockery of this game?
By far? None.

Everyone makes mistakes, though I see in everyone the potential to grow and realize what they're doing wrong - some may be in the name of fun, but everyone will wise up sooner or later.

It just takes time.

Now, why are you asking me such?

Scientist
Tiruin: Scince everyone else is being asked I'll ask you: What does your name mean? (I also ask because I have no clue)
Tiruin came from the ideas and words of J.R.R. Tolkien, and a derivative of the Norse Mythology. From the God Tyr, and the story of Turin Turambar, from The Children of Hurin. In its own sense, it has no meaning. What meaning there is to glean from it is based on your perception of me.

Now, in
+!!scientist!!+:[/b]

b. other than giving our lynching tree a fine looking ornament (I am well-made after all, just look at my name) lynching me would only be the killing of a loyal, innocent citizen.

Is this a role claim?

I'm just saying don't kill me. Nobody wants to die today. Besides, is your great tactic for finding these bandits asking people if their dying will benifit you? nobody would say no! Now I don't want to overreact to this, but I'm starting to think that you, Captain Ford, are a bandit.
other than ask what Captain Ford said, why are you using blue instead of the red?

Tiruin, nobody seems to be questioning you. That's no fun. Would you rather have a one-shot inspect or a two-shot roleblock?
I'm also wondering the same why people aren't. >.>

> I'd pick the one-shot inspect.

Now, everyone reading (this is due to the brevity I've seen in others' posts), this is technically what defines an answer to the question, but explaining in more detail would help why you're doing such.

> I'd pick the one-shot inspect because if I compared this to the other choice, it would at least clear a player's role instead of randomly picking someone else- someone who may or may not be a powerrole, and wasting the roleblock.

burn_heal

• Bay Watcher
  • "G'day folks!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2013, 03:16:36 am »

notquitethere: if you were doctor would you rather save an IC or a newbie on the first night?

fraxert: I think you missed my previous question:
If you were mafia, how would you act the first day?

ReDeadEr
Is it normal, in your first game of Mafia, to feel somewhat out of your depth?
You can be sure you’re not the only one :)

IronyOwl
Being mafia is probably more fun because of the "teehee nobody suspects a thing!" part
I’ll have to keep an eye on you to make sure you’re not having too much fun then ;)

Now speaking of having too much fun…

Captain Ford, this isn’t the first game of mafia you’ve played here, but not much you’ve contributed so far has been very relevant.
Are you trying to distract everyone from our job of finding scum, namely … you?

burn_heal

• Bay Watcher
  • "G'day folks!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2013, 03:36:15 am »

Tiruin: Were you mafia or townsperson in the last game you played, and... what did you learn from it that you plan to bring to future games? (i.e. this one)

ReDeadEr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2013, 08:03:29 am »

Alright, so I've had some time to sleep on it and I've decided to go with my gut.

Captain Ford, I find your actions somewhat suspect. More specifically, your attempt to make a simple statement by +!!scientist!!+ out to be a roleclaim.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2013, 03:55:22 pm »

Fraxert, you're not making this very easy on me.  :-\ I don't know what to do, because at the moment I haven't seen anything to make me sure enough to hunt down any particular person. I think that the captain blaming me for giving the only answer possible to his question was suspicious enough to be brought to attention, but I haven't even voted for him. At this moment all I'm trying to do is live, because right now I've got 2 more votes than anyone else, and in my book that's a bad sign in a lynching vote. This post is intended to be calm, but I realize that at the moment even this could look defensive. I understand that everything I've said things that could be said by scum, but please try to understand that it all could be, and was, said by a townie.
Captain Ford, I find your actions somewhat suspect. More specifically, your attempt to make a simple statement by +!!scientist!!+ out to be a roleclaim.

I'd like to point out that I was already voting +!!scientist!!+ before I asked if his statement was a roleclaim. I was expecting him to answer "no", because it wasn't. Instead, he FOSed me.

Captain Ford, this isn’t the first game of mafia you’ve played here, but not much you’ve contributed so far has been very relevant.
Are you trying to distract everyone from our job of finding scum, namely … you?

The point of RVS is to get people talking. The reason we're playing is to have fun. I don't see a problem.

Captain Ford:
Before I answer any more questions, I must confess some amusement at how several players have picked up Nerjin's mispelling of IronyOwl's name in post #28. Kind of interesting to know that they're referring to that post rather than the OP for picking their RVS targets.
So you don't think there's anything to that?

Not really. At the time they were writing their posts, Nerjin's (empty) votecount would have been visible from the Post Reply screen. I don't think it merits more discussion.

Also, the origin of your username is awesome. Speaking of which, would you rather be a doctor (protects target from a kill), vig (kills target at night), or roleblocker (prevents target from actioning that night)?

Roleblocker. The roleblocker can be used to detect scum while also protecting against the nightkill. Statistically, it's the most beneficial to the town of the three you mentioned, although it's not used on the town side in BM games on this forum. But neither is vig.

If I were scum, it would be vig. Obviously.

I wasn't able to get on again last night, and I'm busy for the rest of the day. I need more time to parse +!!scientist!!+'s response before I decide what to do next.

I know there are question I wasn't able to get to. I will get to them later.

Also, Tiriun, I asked you about the timezone difference to bring it to the attention of the new players, so that they could plan accordingly.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2013, 04:05:11 pm »

Though at first the townsfolk distract themselves from their heavy hearts and the dark work at hand by discussing confections and various world record tumble-weeds the size of a stage-coach they eventually get down to the matter at hand. While at first the accusations fly fast and hard there soon develop into three major camps. However the courthouse begins to feel stuffy so the congregation takes a small break to cool down and collect their thoughts. Some take the chance to drown their sorrows, while others simply stare into the wilderness wondering what would happen if they ran for it. Despite the break they all soon return to the courthouse and begin anew.

Day ends in 49 hours. January 11, at 5Pm [1700]
The Old Parchment Reads:
    notquitethere:
    Burn_heal:
    Onyxjew944:
    Captain Ford: notquitethere,   burn_heal,   ReDeadEr
    ReDeadEr:
    Fraxert:
    +!!scientist!!+: Captain Ford,   Onyxjew944,   Tiruin,
    Tiriun: Ironyowl,
    Ironyowl:
    Not Voting: Captain Ford,   Fraxert,   +!!scientist!!+, 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:00:47 am by Nerjin »
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

burn_heal

• Bay Watcher
  • "G'day folks!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2013, 04:21:46 pm »

b. other than giving our lynching tree a fine looking ornament (I am well-made after all, just look at my name) lynching me would only be the killing of a loyal, innocent citizen.

Is this a role claim?

Captain Ford, I think you need to explain exactly what you were trying to achieve with your comment above.

Onyxjew944

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear no man, and trust no wizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2013, 05:04:58 pm »

Onyxjew:
Ironyown I sense an inside joke within your username, that, or random.org has made a fool of me again. Any thoughts on the matter?
It was partially inspired by a valiant owl that managed to enrage my opponent sufficiently to eat a condemn (he was losing anyway).

Speaking of which, if you could have a role inspired by any color from Magic: The Gathering, what color would that be?

I do not play very much Magic, but I think it would be... hmm. I don't know enough about Mafia to make a very educated assumption on what the roles might be. Odd. Welp, I'm ending this before I wall of text it. Fire.

Tiruin. One incredibly lengthy post after five pages of deliberation, a strong set of questions, advice I seem to have already forgotten, and a mild bit of Tolkien. Apparently you have some experience with this particular game. What, exactly, would you define as a proper question "relevant to the game"?

scientist. I'm not sure if recent posts by you have raised or lowered your scuminess rating. Understandable, considering it's your first game; but I still think it's more than that. My vote shall remain until someone scummier shows up.

Ironyowl. Same question I delivered Tiruin. I think most of us are here to learn the mechanics. More examples have never hurt.

Captain Ford. I concur with burn_heal and ReDeadEr.

Ah, what a confusing game. Undeniably intriguing, yet confusing to an initiate.
Greater Collection
Quote from: Steel Resolve
I shall be ready! My head is full of disturbing but useful information. And all it cost me was my peace of mind and sanity. A bargain!
They told me to aim higher, so we dug deeper.

ReDeadEr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2013, 06:17:00 pm »

We don't really have anything much to go on at the moment, so an Extension might be a good idea.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2013, 06:31:01 pm »

Owl of Irony
Speakin' a which, would you rather a player be moderate in post frequency and quality, or very high in post quality but rather sparse in frequency?
I think infrequent posting can be acceptable if the posts are of a very high quality, but really a moderate-to-high frequency is best for everyone in the game: it lets everyone know you're not a lurker and it helps give people a better read on your character. Ultimately, there are eight other players, and as town three quarters of which are your allies but they don't know it. The more information you can convey to your allies the better.

Tiruin
NQT - shortening this because long to type. Thanks. ^_^
No problemo :D, I may not be a cutie but I am NQT.

Now, tell me what information you've gained from a question relating to flavor -- does that sort of answer give you and perceptions of me?
Well it shows me your reception to the theme of the game. I'm a big fan of roleplaying and I like to get in character a bit. So, thus far I've seen Irony Owl is receptive to the game's themes, but Jim Groovestar would much rather be getting on with strictly mafia-related questioning. This gives me an idea of who they are as people. This in turn will give me some small handle when I come to interpret their reactions to further questioning.

Healer of Burns
notquitethere: if you were doctor would you rather save an IC or a newbie on the first night?
As a person, I'd rather save the newbie: it's their first game and they'll get more out of it the longer they stay. However, as a player of games I know that the person to save is the person most likely to get killed and often that's going to be an IC because they're more experienced and pose a greater threat to the scum.

Unvote.

Fraxert: You deflected my question earlier with humour. That's okay. But in all honesty, how would you act if you were scum?

burn_heal

• Bay Watcher
  • "G'day folks!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2013, 06:46:27 pm »

We don't really have anything much to go on at the moment, so an Extension might be a good idea.
Not sure if that's necessary yet. We still have a day and a half. I guess we'll so what progress we can make for now...

burn_heal

• Bay Watcher
  • "G'day folks!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2013, 07:45:21 pm »

but Jim Groovestar would much rather be getting on with strictly mafia-related questioning.

I think Jim was concerned we were letting the theme sidetrack us. He probably thinks we should Keep It Simple for now. We are beginners after all.

Then I guess some people aren’t into the roleplaying element as much as others, partner. ;)

ReDeadEr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2013, 08:46:33 pm »

Not sure if that's necessary yet. We still have a day and a half. I guess we'll so what progress we can make for now...

Yeah, sorry. I wasn't really paying attention and I just saw that Nerjin's post said January 9.

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2013, 10:49:49 pm »

other than ask what Captain Ford said, why are you using blue instead of the red?
From what I understand it's a way to say you suspect someone without actually voting.

unvote (nobody noticed ReDeadEr had a random vote)

At this point I gotta say I found out I'm bad at mafia. I can't figure out how to hunt scum, (despite looking at the guides repeatedly) and every attempt has made me look more scummy.

What I will say is I made a stupid mistake: for whatever reason I thought that Captain Ford was saying that I was being to insistant that I was townie, when that was the only possible response. If I understand correctly he was asking if I was claiming a power role, (the answer is no) and that's a lot less scummy. My only question is why Captain Ford asked me if it was a role claim in the first place.

"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21