Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21

Author Topic: BM XXXVIII: Jackelope Bandits: Scum Win: Across the Border  (Read 60405 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVIII: Jackelope Bandits Day 3: Peace and Gallows [Needs Replacements]
« Reply #195 on: January 25, 2013, 07:43:50 am »

PFP:

Generally speaking, yes. Also extend. I don't like extending without doing much anything, but we've got two replacements and fairly scattered opinions.
Yeah... I might want an extend so I can have more time to figure stuff out on my own. Though I want the day to just be done and over with to weed out more people. Though I'm kinda afraid my time playing the game will be short by either winning, or get my ass killed at night by the whim of the bandit.

If you want an Extend bold it next time.

Day Extended more info when I can. Also don't waste this extension or you won't get another today. I don't want this to turn into lurkfest 2013 like the last BM did.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy that loves nukes too much
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 25, 2013, 09:23:08 am »

PFP:

Generally speaking, yes. Also extend. I don't like extending without doing much anything, but we've got two replacements and fairly scattered opinions.
Yeah... I might want an extend so I can have more time to figure stuff out on my own. Though I want the day to just be done and over with to weed out more people. Though I'm kinda afraid my time playing the game will be short by either winning, or get my ass killed at night by the whim of the bandit.

If you want an Extend bold it next time.

Day Extended more info when I can. Also don't waste this extension or you won't get another today. I don't want this to turn into lurkfest 2013 like the last BM did.

Er... I didn't... Thats why I didn't bold them...
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 25, 2013, 10:08:52 am »

When the night ends and for whatever reason I'm not the unlucky guy to get night killed, I'll post up my list of most suspicious people. I would do it now, but if i'm correct, that'll place a huge target on my back that says, "Please kill me now!"

Protip: Townies shouldn't fear death. One of us is going to die. If not you, then someone else. If it ends up being you tonight, then we'll never get to see your list of suspicions, which could have helped us win the game. If you are town, then your opinions are trustworthy.

Here's another way to look at it: Why save yourself if it's just going to mean that another one of us gets killed? Why are you more valuable than the rest of us? Do you see why saying that looks incredibly scummy?

It's not unusual for us to discuss who we think is scummy and for why. If you post what you're thinking, we can respond to it, pointing out things you may have missed, and improving your chances of finding scum.

So then, superBlast, I would like to see your list of suspicions please.

Since the extension seems to have been issued in error, I would like to Oppose Extension to put some more pressure on superBlast. Nerjin, if you decide not to reverse it, then disregard this oppose vote please.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 25, 2013, 10:42:45 am »

I guess my fear of getting killed is mostly not my own time playing the game to be short... that would just plain suck.

But now that I currently have two votes... I'm not in a good position. Before I even get in the position of "Give your list or die" with people putting votes on me, plus Ford's reason that it in itself is very scummy.

Then again Ford being the first one to want my that's nearing the end of the day is also scummy (With the current time (that is without extension) 7 and a half hours*) to me. Plus Tiruin hasn't seen fit to unvote you yet... so I'm assuming he's still suspicious of you. Having my list could be advantageous for you if you are scum for my reasons I was thinking about in my post. Here's a small preview of my list. You're not on the bottom of it.

If another person wants to know my list before the day ends then I'll tell it. Then for sure I'll know at least one townie wants my list.

*My math with time has always slightly confused me.... so I might be off by an hour or two.
"Come oooooon, a little insanity never hurt anyone.... Well except for that one guy, but never mind him." -superBlast

I gots a new livestream! Check it out here at http://www.twitch.tv/iamsuperblast

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 25, 2013, 10:49:30 am »

But now that I currently have two votes... I'm not in a good position. Before I even get in the position of "Give your list or die" with people putting votes on me, plus Ford's reason that it in itself is very scummy.

Ok this'll bother me and if can't edit I'll just make it clear with this post since I missed it when I previewed my post before posting. Though it probably has no impact on the game... like I said it's gonna bother me.

But now that I currently have two votes... I'm not in a good position. Before I even get in the position of "Give your list or die" with people putting votes on me, plus Ford's reason that it in itself is very scummy. So I guess I'll release my list before the day's end.

I just wanted to add in what I put in bold. Man I hate not editing.....

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 25, 2013, 12:05:05 pm »

PFP: My bad. I should learn not to assume.

So Nerjin giveth, so Nerjin taketh away. Extension retracted. Day ends in 5 HOURS!!!

lynx_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 25, 2013, 01:42:32 pm »

Hi, I'm here and need to catch up on the game. Is the day over?

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 25, 2013, 03:20:48 pm »

No, you've got 1 hour and 40 minutes from now.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

lynx_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 25, 2013, 04:07:47 pm »

I'm super busy this evening, sorry.
I'll be back later but looks like the game won't still be going then.

Request extension
I don't know about the possibility of this, I'll have time tomorrow morning but I presume that's too far away from now.

From what I've seen in the last few pages (and the first couple before I ran out of time), I'll vote superBlast.
He refuses to help town out here, is flailing wildly at easy targets, and terrified of being lynched.
None of these strike me as particularly helpful, so I'm happy to make sure this lynch goes through.

I'll catch up during the night if there's no extension forthcoming.
Sorry I don't have more time!

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 25, 2013, 04:59:09 pm »

Deadline is here, and I don't see a post from superBlast.

I was going to extend if he managed to deliver, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 25, 2013, 05:02:56 pm »

...wait, actually, Nerjin seems to be planning to end the day one hour later than usual.

Unfortunately, I need to leave now, I won't be available at the deadline. But at this point, superBlast can extend if himself if he manages to post in time.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 25, 2013, 05:13:26 pm »

Unvote Oppose Extension

Now there is 3 votes against me and no longer any chance for Lynx_ to get Lynched. No why the hell would the last bandit get himself killed but taking away his last chance of someone going after Mr. inactive. Instead I'm going let my self die and and prove that I'm not scum. And in my death, hopefully will allow you all to figure out who the scum is.

I'm not going through quotes since I have such little time left. By time this get's read I'm sure the day will end.
My list goes like this:

1. OnyxJew = Because for this whole day he's barely talked (Other then Frax). And by what I remember correctly he only talked when spoken to or about.

2. Frax a.k.a Lynx = Nothing against Lynx but his predecessor has been dreadfully inactive. Either because he just up and left, or he's scum and not sure what to do... though he did get replaced... but I'll still have my eye on him.

3. Ford = Because Tiruin's argument against him with the Doc stuff. Though Ford makes a good argument to me... but I'll admit it's very confusing.

4. Irony = Because I really have no idea what to think of you or Tiruin. Probrably due to your guys' exp at this game. But my predecessor seen fit to go after you for some reason, and also your more suspicious to me then Tiruin. I wish i couldn't poked you for questions in hopes of getting answers.

5. Tiruin = Because he's the least suspicious to me. Then again it hard to tell where he playing the game or being an IC (that is until he started using {} for his IC voice). If you are the scum in the end, you're pretty good at convincing people otherwise.

Now hopefully I can get a response in hopes to get me off the chopping block, with an hour left, I'm just going to do what I can to help the town before I'm not allowed to post any more.

superBlast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 25, 2013, 05:17:07 pm »

...wait, actually, Nerjin seems to be planning to end the day one hour later than usual.

Unfortunately, I need to leave now, I won't be available at the deadline. But at this point, superBlast can extend if himself if he manages to post in time.

I thought he said the day ends at 6 PM. It's only a little after 5 now.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 25, 2013, 06:27:43 pm »

Ugh. Well, let's take this a step at a time...

superBlast:
Anyways, I read the whole thread and... holy crap... Mafia might not be a good game for me... I'm still gonna play of course, but because I suck at explaining the way I think will make it hard for me to explain my case against people that I suspect. Plus alot of it is how I feel. I hope I wrong about Mafia not being good a good game for me lol. Also I hate the fact I can't use the edit button... I'm prone to typos. Though I do understand the reason behind it.

Though one thing I know I'm going to hate is I might over think things. Every action I can think of does feels scummy to even myself. So if something feels scummy to me, then of course it'll feel scummy to someone else. but then again that's part of the game... if there was a way to out right prove your not a mafia guy, there would be no point to the game. Like I said I over think things.
Yeah, explaining yourself is pretty important; it's just something you'll have to get better at and maybe pay more attention to. I'm not sure what you mean by "Plus alot of it is how I feel," which is I guess a good starting example, but if you mean someone feels scummy, that's fine for picking targets or some level of suspicion. If you want to actually see someone hanged you'll need more than your gut, however.

As for overthinking/seeming scummy, just relax. Remember that:

1 - You're town and you know you're town, so you shouldn't look that scummy even if you're making mistakes or doing something odd

2 - Dying doesn't automatically lose you/your team the game. It sucks, but it's not the end of the world; doing what you think will catch you scum is more important than doing what you think will not get you killed.

Also, being overly paranoid about looking scummy like that looks scummy. It's not a major tell because you are new, but it does make me narrow my eyes a bit wondering.

First off, I vote for Lynx, mainly because the person he replaced hasn't been active. Whether he is the scum or townie, I feel it's best to get the inactive person out of the way. If he is the bandit, awesome we win. If he's not, then we can focus on the one that is the bandit without the unhelpful guy attracting suspicion. If Lynx says something, and says something convincing me he not the bandit, then I'll unvote and figure out who I should set my sights on.
This is kind of lazy and not very productive. It's not scumhunting, it's just saying "Well... I have absolutely no idea who's scum, so I guess I'll just kill whoever's inactive and hopefully that'll be kind of the same thing." You don't even have any specific suspicions or questions for him, it's just "He's lurking therefore kill him, unless he comes back and really impresses me."

So, it'd be a lot better to be trying to kill people you actually suspect, and if you suspect him for lurking that's fine, though not what you'd hope for on D3. It'd be better still, though, if you hunted somebody you suspect. "If he comes back and really impresses me I might let him live" isn't the kind of statement that's going to get you good data- either he won't come back, or he'll come back and impress you and live, or he'll come back and not impress you and die. There isn't anything specific about why he voted so and so or what his stance on such and such is that you could ask him about to really get a better read on him, so he's either going to scumhunt really hard or have a brilliant excuse for his lurking, or not and so just die without you really learning anything except his roleflip.

Or, put briefly, don't lynch people because you're lazy. Lynch people because you've hunted them enough to be certain you want them dead, and keep hunting other people while you're doing that.

When the night ends and for whatever reason I'm not the unlucky guy to get night killed, I'll post up my list of most suspicious people. I would do it now, but if i'm correct, that'll place a huge target on my back that says, "Please kill me now!" Then again if I'm right it might not be a good idea to to kill me since that'll throw suspension on the guy at the top of my list, which if I'm right, it'll through suspicion on on the bandit. If I'm wrong then that would be the perfect time to to night kill me since that'll throw suspension on some townie I was wrongly suspicious of....... my head hurts (metaphorically)....

Ugh.... see how I over think things? Anyways best to keep my list of suspicious people to myself for now. Hopefully.
As Ford mentioned, no.

More generally, Super Special Secret No Scum Allowed Plans tend to not really work very well. By which I mean they tend to make their user opaque and suspicious before amounting to absolutely nothing. There's circumstances where you can hold off on claiming or saying something until someone's answered your questions or otherwise put themselves on the record, but for the most part trying to not let scum know about anything is pointless, since the only way to do that is not to let town know about it either. That means you're working solo, which tends to be a lot less efficient than getting everything out in the open.

Also as Ford mentioned, being concerned about being NK'd like that is scummy and even more pointless, since if they NK you anyway you're taking your suspicions to the grave.

@ICs, about how many mistakes did I just make? I got the gut feeling I made at least one.
Trying to lynch a lurker on a vague ultimatum, not scumhunting, withholding suspicions, being nervous about scumminess, being nervous about dying. Or at least, that's what I'd call and phrase as mistakes.

Wanting to just sort of kill people at random so there's less of them is what mafia wants, not town.

Why do you want people weeded out?

That means I'm said overconfident scum now, correct?
Correct.

I guess my fear of getting killed is mostly not my own time playing the game to be short... that would just plain suck.
Somewhat understandable, but that shouldn't be a massive deal. Certainly not enough to cripple your own scumhunting or switch to being in danger of being lynched instead of NK'd.

Then again Ford being the first one to want my that's nearing the end of the day is also scummy (With the current time (that is without extension) 7 and a half hours*) to me. Plus Tiruin hasn't seen fit to unvote you yet... so I'm assuming he's still suspicious of you. Having my list could be advantageous for you if you are scum for my reasons I was thinking about in my post. Here's a small preview of my list. You're not on the bottom of it.

If another person wants to know my list before the day ends then I'll tell it. Then for sure I'll know at least one townie wants my list.
You're kind of dodging the subject here. If you agree with Ford's premise that withholding your list is scummy, you should reveal your list because it'd be harmful to town to do otherwise. If you disagree with Ford's premise that withholding your list is scummy, you should discuss that with him, and frankly maybe even vote him over it if you disagree completely- after all, if that's the case he's basically bullying you to try to make you hurt the town.

This is neither; it's basically ignoring the consequences of revealing your suspicions entirely and saying "Well, if I get voted enough I'll tell you my suspicions, but if I don't I won't." What exactly is that all about?

Man I hate not editing.....
Heh, you get used to it, but yeah. Little typos and man I could have phrased that better everywhere.

Now there is 3 votes against me and no longer any chance for Lynx_ to get Lynched.
There's always a chance for lynx_ to get lynched. Votes aren't set in stone, or at least they shouldn't be; they're based on the opinions and reasoning of the one who cast them, meaning they should be able to change if you're sufficiently convincing. There's no reason to give up just because one person has more than 50% of the current votes, and there's especially no reason to avoid letting the day run longer in the process.

Also as a bonus, not giving up tends to be far more productive than giving up even if it happens anyway.

No why the hell would the last bandit get himself killed but taking away his last chance of someone going after Mr. inactive.
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. I'm guessing there's at least one, maybe two typos helping with that.

Instead I'm going let my self die and and prove that I'm not scum. And in my death, hopefully will allow you all to figure out who the scum is.
Okay. How?

I mean, I get the first part- you'll die, then you'll flip, and we'll say "Oh, guess superBlast (and by extension burn_heal) wasn't scum after all." Then what? How does that translate into "But if superBlast wasn't scum.... it must be that guy instead!" We don't have any brilliant insights from you that will prove vital if we can show they were made in earnest, we don't have any convoluted relationship webs that show the last scum must be one of you or the other guy, and we don't really even have any concrete suspicions that we can look at and consider valid now. I mean, let's look at your suspicion list, which you had to keep secret until now lest it fall into the wrong hands:

1. OnyxJew = Because for this whole day he's barely talked (Other then Frax). And by what I remember correctly he only talked when spoken to or about.

2. Frax a.k.a Lynx = Nothing against Lynx but his predecessor has been dreadfully inactive. Either because he just up and left, or he's scum and not sure what to do... though he did get replaced... but I'll still have my eye on him.

3. Ford = Because Tiruin's argument against him with the Doc stuff. Though Ford makes a good argument to me... but I'll admit it's very confusing.

4. Irony = Because I really have no idea what to think of you or Tiruin. Probrably due to your guys' exp at this game. But my predecessor seen fit to go after you for some reason, and also your more suspicious to me then Tiruin. I wish i couldn't poked you for questions in hopes of getting answers.

5. Tiruin = Because he's the least suspicious to me. Then again it hard to tell where he playing the game or being an IC (that is until he started using {} for his IC voice). If you are the scum in the end, you're pretty good at convincing people otherwise.
1. Lurking
2. Lurking
3. What Tiruin said, though Ford makes good points, but it's also confusing. Huh?
4. No clue, predecessor said so a little?
5. Don't suspect him.

Top two suspects are lurkers, third suspect is parroting someone else (by which I mean referencing them; you're not even restating what it is about him that you find suspicious, exactly) but even then saying they make good arguments but you're confused, fourth is "Uncertain" and fifth is not suspicious for reasons you don't mention.

So, where in this are we going to get our golden insights that will help us lynch scum tomorrow? What about this is worth dying over to prove it's genuine?

Now hopefully I can get a response in hopes to get me off the chopping block, with an hour left, I'm just going to do what I can to help the town before I'm not allowed to post any more.
This would make a lot more sense if you weren't opposing the extension to give anyone time to do that.

The latter part is good reasoning, but you want to use that time with actual scumhunting, not just a list of vague suspicions basically amounting to "they're lurking," and you certainly don't want to shorten your own time to do that for no reason. Admittedly by this particular point you probably don't have time to meaningfully hunt someone, but again, that'd be less the case if you weren't opposing an extension that would give you said time.

Apologies for the wall of text, there was a lot to cover.

Onyx, where you at?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 25, 2013, 06:53:20 pm »

Night finally arrived as superBlast slowly walked himself to the gallows. “Well… I suppose this is how it ends. I just hope you kill them bastards.”

Oddly enough it was Ford who spoke up “It’s… Not time yet. There’s at least an hour before sunset we could possibly wait?”

“Yeah,” replied Irony Owl “I’m sure if you just…” but he was cut off.

“Nah… Them’s the rules. Night has fallen and I have the most votes. It’s alright. We barely have enough people for this year’s cattle’in… I’d have to move on anyway. It’s quicker this way. Just… Remember me as the man I was.”

Slowly stringing himself up superBlast confessed “Asides… I never really liked any of you to start with.” With a final laugh he sealed the deal by leaping from the gallows. Though he appeared to have miscalculated. The rope tightened inhumanely fast and soon neither superBlast nor his severed head were hanging.

“Well… He had to have been the last bandit right? Everyone voted for him!” shouted one of the townsfolk with considerably less conviction than he would have two days ago “We… Need to check his house anyways.”

And check they did. Unfortunately it was simply a Regular Townsfolks house.

As they retired to their own homes most of the remainders wondered if this voting system would really root out the bandit. In the end it may not be perfect but it was their only hope.

superBlast was lynched! He was a Regular Townsfolk!!!

[@superBlast: I hope to see you in the next BM. Trust me when I say replacing in is hard to do well. I failed my first time but didn’t give up and have managed to improve by leaps and bounds. I hope to see you again next BM.]

Night 3 will end 1/28/2013 at 5PM.

The Old Parchment Reads:

superBlast: Irony Owl,   Captain Ford,   Lynx_,

Onyxjew944:

Captain Ford: Tiruin,   

Lynx_: Onyxjew944,

Tiruin:

Ironyowl:

Not Voting: Superblast

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21