Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21

Author Topic: BM XXXVIII: Jackelope Bandits: Scum Win: Across the Border  (Read 60343 times)

Onyxjew944

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear no man, and trust no wizard.
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVIII: Jackelope Bandits Day 1: The Courthouse
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2013, 09:23:51 pm »

burn_heal: I have no idea now, I'm probably going to lurk for a short while. So far my attempts at scum-hunting have ended in zero conclusions, two dead townies, and a post worthy of FoSing myself. I'll jump back in should I see anything of interesting, but for right now I'm completely neutral and just analyzing.
Greater Collection
Quote from: Steel Resolve
I shall be ready! My head is full of disturbing but useful information. And all it cost me was my peace of mind and sanity. A bargain!
They told me to aim higher, so we dug deeper.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2013, 09:30:26 pm »

[Just gonna pop in due to a concern voiced by an anonymous. Don't be discouraged that some townspeople have been lynched. Look back through the interactions of Day 1 with a fine toothed comb. You know two confirmed town and should examine who said what to whom with that in mind. So... yeah. Not sure if I'm overstepping into IC boundry here. Forgive me if I am.]
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

ReDeadEr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2013, 09:39:18 pm »

Honestly, I'm most suspicious of either Fraxert or Captain Ford. I was mildly suspicious of notquitethere, but I've been proven pretty wrong about that.

For now, though, I'll sit back and wait for some more people to post before I start hunting. I've read the scumhunting bible from the OP, so I should be at least a little better at it now. In theory, anyway.

burn_heal

• Bay Watcher
  • "G'day folks!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2013, 10:42:14 pm »

“Note I don't necessarily think Ford is scum, but I'd rather we didn't hang a townie.”
NQT you sound rather certain here that scientist isn’t a bandit. Why? Is the reason you’re so sure because you’re mafia?

Captain Ford what’s your read on NQT?

Oops! Guess I should read Nerjin's posts more closely!

Captain Ford what's your read on Ironyowl then?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2013, 11:02:35 pm »

This probably isn't even going to be noticed before the day ends, so these will probably be my last words, oh well. In response to your question, IronyOwl, I will say that I  think you should be the one asking him questions if you're suspicious, because no matter what I say right now I don't know whether it will be taken as honest or as attempting to mislead you into not lynching a bandit. (either way, it could backfire) Also, in response to Onyxjew's question, I honestly don't know, I don't think I'm good enough at this to use any of them effectively. In any case, goodbye and thank you all for a great (if short from my point of view) game.
So to start with, I'd like to say that this defeatist attitude is counterproductive. "I look scummy so nobody will take anything I say seriously" is yet another item in the List of Things You Don't Say Because They Accomplish Nothing And Make You Look Worse. !!scientist!! here did at least have the excuse of it being pretty close to day's end, so he probably couldn't have gotten much in the way of responses to scumhunting, but generally speaking the way you handle suspicion is to hunt scum. That's what makes you look town when you're not suspected also- hunting scum. Giving up and saying woe is me, I look scummy therefore I'm going to be lynched is completely useless.

burn_heal:
IronyOwl what do you make of the events of Day 1?
I think it got off to an enthusiastic but largely insubstantial RVS, then more or less transitioned into !!scientist!!'s death spiral. I'd like to pay special attention to the people who lynched him, but obviously being on his lynch or not is no guarantee of anything.

Oops! Guess I should read Nerjin's posts more closely!
And NQT himself's, for that matter. How'd you completely blank on both who had died in the night and what one of your suspects was saying/doing D2?

Onyxjew:
burn_heal: I have no idea now, I'm probably going to lurk for a short while. So far my attempts at scum-hunting have ended in zero conclusions, two dead townies, and a post worthy of FoSing myself. I'll jump back in should I see anything of interesting, but for right now I'm completely neutral and just analyzing.
Cool. In that case, I'm just gonna vote you for being lazy scum, then sit back and analyze things for a bit.

ReDeadEr:
Honestly, I'm most suspicious of either Fraxert or Captain Ford. I was mildly suspicious of notquitethere, but I've been proven pretty wrong about that.

For now, though, I'll sit back and wait for some more people to post before I start hunting. I've read the scumhunting bible from the OP, so I should be at least a little better at it now. In theory, anyway.
Shit, but I only have one vote! And here you've listed two suspicions with no reasons and then refused to do anything about them. Them's pretty prime votin' reasons, don't you think?

Tiruin, where art thou? Why didst thou lynchest the poor noobyie, for merely refusing to vote his suspects?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2013, 12:40:57 am »

{Very sorry for my absence, the day ended when I was asleep - had free time afterwards, and yes this is one part of my timezone which I want to point out.}

PFP - at work. There were many things I would've wanted to address earlier, but that would have to wait until later on in the (RL) day. Apologies for my absence.

Onyxjew944

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2013, 01:03:18 pm »

Onyxjew:
Cool. In that case, I'm just gonna vote you for being lazy scum, then sit back and analyze things for a bit.
I can't tell if you're actually suspicious, or if you are just trying to get me to do something. Probably the latter, considering your attitude, and advice to anyone, in literally any situation is "hunt scum". Admirable intentions, and slightly repetitive speeches, but I just had a small jolt of inspiration. Most likely unfounded, but anything could become anything. Take note of the sheriff's dying post,
The others find the sheriff gut shot by the old well, red footprints leading off into the scrubland.

'You shoulda listened,' he burbled through bloody lips, 'it was...'

But before he could continue his guts rolled out and he died in the street he had once sworn to protect.

Implying he was proven correct, and last turn his vote was cast for... Captain Ford.

I'm probably wrong, as a role-playing post is, I think, not allowed to distribute hints post-mortem, but I think it is our job to be paranoid in this particular game and over analyze everything we are given.

((I'm not bothering to post a question to Captain Ford after I just blatantly wrote an entire post with an unasked question in it, so I'll just skip to the rest of the menagerie. Also yes, I am fully aware that notquitethere only voted for Ford in a hope to nolynch, doesn't stop the post from being interesting.))

Fraxert You've been oddly quiet over the past few days, any particular reason why?

Tiruin Are you concerned that your name has been misspelled in both the after day post and the after night post?
Greater Collection
I shall be ready! My head is full of disturbing but useful information. And all it cost me was my peace of mind and sanity. A bargain!

ReDeadEr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2013, 04:08:09 pm »

ReDeadEr:

Shit, but I only have one vote! And here you've listed two suspicions with no reasons and then refused to do anything about them. Them's pretty prime votin' reasons, don't you think?

Okay, okay! No need to get sarcastic on me.

Captain Ford, isn't it true that sheriff Notquitethere, may he rest in... the street, since we just kind of left his body there, was suspicious of you before nightfall yesterday? And isn't it true that this would give you prime motivation to kill him?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2013, 06:02:18 pm »

The group sat within the saloon trading theories and hypothesis about the sheriff’s death and whom was aligned with whom. However as day continued there were still a great many more who had yet to speak. As the sun began to reach its peak in the sky conversations continued in hushed tones…

Day will end 1/17/2013 at 5PM at the latest. There are 47 hours left…

The Old Parchment Reads:

Burn_heal:

Onyxjew944: Ironyowl,

Captain Ford: ReDeadEr,

ReDeadEr:

Fraxert: burn_heal,

Tiriun:

Ironyowl:

Not Voting: Tiriun,    Fraxert,    Onyxjew944,    Captain Ford
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2013, 07:24:02 pm »

Captain Ford what's your read on Ironyowl then?
I have no clue. The lack of activity from both of our ICs has been rather frustrating. I know they're not doing it on purpose, so it's not scummy.

I kind of want to lynch one or both of them just for being so useless.

Captain Ford, isn't it true that sheriff Notquitethere, may he rest in... the street, since we just kind of left his body there, was suspicious of you before nightfall yesterday? And isn't it true that this would give you prime motivation to kill him?
No, it's not true. He wasn't suspicious of me, he was just trying to save a townie.

At the time, I had no clue what he was doing. In hindsight, I can see now that he was trying to tie up the vote to get scientist off the hook. But I can't imagine how he was expecting that to happen, since he didn't ask me or anyone else to help him tie up the vote.

Unfortunately, in doing so, it looks like he tipped his hand to the bandits. His reluctance to lynch someone on day 1 is probably what got him killed.

And dammit, I was all fired up to go after him for that foolishness at day end. Now I'm all angry and have no one to yell at.

It's @#!*&@# frustrating.

The thing is,ReDeadEr, this question has been answered at least three times already by other people. Why did you bother asking it? Are you even reading the thread?

You also still haven't responded to the accusation I made yesterday. Why have you been lurking so heavily?

Take note of the sheriff's dying post, implying he was proven correct, and last turn his vote was cast for... Captain Ford.

I'm probably wrong, as a role-playing post is, I think, not allowed to distribute hints post-mortem, but I think it is our job to be paranoid in this particular game and over analyze everything we are given.

Onyxjew: No, you're definitely wrong. NQT doesn't know the identity of his killer. Even dead, he doesn't know anything more than we do. On top of that, he put "disregard this" in big purple letters at the top of his post. So why on earth did you bring it up?
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Onyxjew944

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2013, 08:58:04 pm »

Take note of the sheriff's dying post, implying he was proven correct, and last turn his vote was cast for... Captain Ford.

Onyxjew: No, you're definitely wrong. NQT doesn't know the identity of his killer. Even dead, he doesn't know anything more than we do. On top of that, he put "disregard this" in big purple letters at the top of his post. So why on earth did you bring it up?
If you would so kindly check the time of that edit, and the time of my post, you would notice I asked that question before he made that addendum. I was probably the reason who saw fit to make it, come to think of it. Before I rip into a thesis statement on this, have the gist of it.
[summary]
I realize.

I was wrong.

I no longer suspect you for that particular reason.

I still suspect you because I suspect bloody everyone for the obvious reason.
[/summary]
Greater Collection

fraxert

• Bay Watcher
  • hey-di-lee hi, and ho-di-lee hok
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVIII: Jackelope Bandits [Sign-ups] Day 1: The Courthouse
« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2013, 11:57:00 pm »

Fraxert If you were mafia, how would you act the first day?
Probably pick fights.

fraxert you were extremely quiet at the end. What a contrast to the beginning of the game - this is concerning. Were you happy to let poor innocent scientist die towards the end of the day?
No, and I had voted IronyOwl before finally unvoting before the end of the day.

Fraxert You've been oddly quiet over the past few days, any particular reason why?
A bad combination of the End of Day typo, homework and the flu.
"Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason." - StarkRavingMad

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2013, 12:03:35 am »

WALL OF SPOILERED TEXT AHEAD!
Tiruin Are you concerned that your name has been misspelled in both the after day post and the after night post?
People mispell my name a lot, so I don't mind. :P

Any pertinent questions you'd like to ask me, or do you like throwing fluff my way? If you're trying to judge by my reaction...Then take this:

MY NAME IS MISPELLED?! WHO IN THEIR DRUNKEN MINDS WOULD HAVE THE GALL TO MISPELL MY NAME? FRICKIN' BANDITS! THAT'S WHO!

But really, if its a reaction you're after, then ask questions related to the game. Something in line with the current thought of things.

Day 1 questions asked towards me.
Spoiler: Day 1 - burn heal (click to show/hide)

@Those people who say I'm bad at Mafia!!1!: Relax.

This is a BM, and the holistic purpose of this game is to get you entrenched in the knowledge of Forum Mafia. Everyone was bad in Mafia at one time or another- but they grow in their own way. I mean, I once believed I was 'the worst player who has ever graced this board' because of previous games where I mainly slipped up on analogy. It was answered by (speaker is assumed to remain unknown) 'Pffffffffft, aaaaaaahahahaha.

It's funny, because it's completely ridiculous.

So long as you play to win.
'

Also, activity. That's a good sign of being good at this game. :P
Spoiler: NQT (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Captain Ford (click to show/hide)

@Morale: Guys, don't despair if a townie dies...or at least don't despair and post it. You can do that at your desks and create a memorial for them in DF if you'd like. ;P

Still, the rationale is like so. As Town, you're a team. You all win together if any hostile teams are defeated, and you outnumber them, regardless of loss of life. This doesn't mean you should waste yourselves or commit martyrdom to save a probable lynch (in this case), but you should do your best, as individuals, to succeed. Same goes for Mafia, you work as a malevolent entity to the Town, but you're also individuals in this part. Morale is a double-edged sword, it is something to make a conversation about and also something which will show off more on a player and his alignment.

Other stuff coming later in the day - am busy with minor assignments atm.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2013, 06:25:37 pm »

Onyxjew: Point taken. I'm not used to seeing posts edited during a game.

fraxert:
Fraxert If you were mafia, how would you act the first day?
Probably pick fights.
I, um...huh. That's not exactly a conventional strategy. Do you think that picking fights would help you win? How?
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

ReDeadEr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2013, 08:06:09 pm »

The thing is,ReDeadEr, this question has been answered at least three times already by other people. Why did you bother asking it? Are you even reading the thread?

You also still haven't responded to the accusation I made yesterday. Why have you been lurking so heavily?

Where has it been answered? I might be missing something, but I honestly can't tell where you're talking about.

And the reason I've been lurking so heavily is a mixture of not remembering to check the thread and having just recently gotten new games.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21