Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26

Author Topic: Topia Online Kickstarter is live!!!  (Read 24150 times)

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Topia Online Kickstarter is live!!!
« Reply #165 on: December 13, 2012, 06:42:57 pm »

I think Shoggoths can be balanced if needed.

Impossible. They don't need balance.

No it is Yog-Sothoth that I was refering to

Implementing The Gate might be tricky from a technical perspective.

Though if I had to pick a race it would be the Future Greater Race of Yith
Or a Mi-go >_>

This.

Also, Star Spawn.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 13, 2012, 06:46:31 pm »

Ahh yes The Gate, Key, and Guardian. The Essential Lovecraftian god of magic and magicians.

It is kinda impossible from just general perspectives compared that... to make a reference to Arkham Horror "He IS lost in time and space. He is everything between time and between space and the connections between them". At most he would be a diety.

Also, Star Spawn

I'd go Cthonian over a Star Spawn. IGNORING that Cthonians are waaaaaaaay too powerful for this game (Great Siege machines though)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 06:50:26 pm by Neonivek »

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 13, 2012, 07:16:30 pm »

Ahh yes The Gate, Key, and Guardian. The Essential Lovecraftian god of magic and magicians.

It is kinda impossible from just general perspectives compared that... to make a reference to Arkham Horror "He IS lost in time and space. He is everything between time and between space and the connections between them". At most he would be a diety.

Also, Star Spawn

I'd go Cthonian over a Star Spawn. IGNORING that Cthonians are waaaaaaaay too powerful for this game (Great Siege machines though)

When you have an artist who literally asks you on her first day "Will I get to make some Old Ones?", you're a happy designer.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 13, 2012, 07:18:19 pm »

Well I meant 'too powerful' in the sense that a Cthonian's claim to fame is creating earthquakes.

Not pleasant for a town.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 13, 2012, 07:32:49 pm »

I think slimes might be one of the funner monsters to play as at first, at least while still learning the scripting API. Individual slimes are cheap and low maintenance (at least I assume, from how I see slimes in most fantasy worlds), so you do not need to bother with complicated actions such as advanced self-preservation and planning ability or somesuch for the individuals, and can instead work on hivemind behavior based on a few basic goals that a slime hive would have. Or maybe just concentrate on nurturing one large slime that just moves around in a cave until it bumps into something edible, attempts to consume it, and then continues just wandering around whether it was successful or not, eventually splitting/reproducing to create a smaller slime that then moves a certain distance from the original slime's "territory" and starts doing the same roaming thing, etc...
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 13, 2012, 07:59:54 pm »

Slimes seem kinda adorable.
Spiders... they seem like spiders.  Albeit spiders that lay eggs in corpses.
The bodies they lag eggs in are corpses, right?
Oh Lord, there goes that good night's sleep.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 13, 2012, 09:08:00 pm »

Slimes seem kinda adorable.
Spiders... they seem like spiders.  Albeit spiders that lay eggs in corpses.
The bodies they lag eggs in are corpses, right?
Oh Lord, there goes that good night's sleep.

I mean... They WILL be corpses...

I think slimes might be one of the funner monsters to play as at first, at least while still learning the scripting API. Individual slimes are cheap and low maintenance (at least I assume, from how I see slimes in most fantasy worlds), so you do not need to bother with complicated actions such as advanced self-preservation and planning ability or somesuch for the individuals, and can instead work on hivemind behavior based on a few basic goals that a slime hive would have. Or maybe just concentrate on nurturing one large slime that just moves around in a cave until it bumps into something edible, attempts to consume it, and then continues just wandering around whether it was successful or not, eventually splitting/reproducing to create a smaller slime that then moves a certain distance from the original slime's "territory" and starts doing the same roaming thing, etc...

Absolutely. The IRC channel is full of hilarious examples of slime behavior. :)

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 13, 2012, 09:59:34 pm »

Yeah... you really didn't know a lot about how some wasps and such work, did you?  ;D
There's all kinds of horrifying parasitoids out there. I think wikipedia has a list of some interesting ones. It involves cockroach zombies!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_cockroach_wasp
(Freaky things, some wasps. Some kinds have become symbiotic with a virus. They all have it (it's permanently in thier DNA), and it messes with rejection responses in other creatures. Some kinds (including this) have specialized stings and techniques to modify brain function in other creatures. A LOT of them (and all of the aforementioned) have parasitoid young. Brrrr...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasitoid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasitoid_wasp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Mind-altering_parasitism
Note that the last includes human entries.
Pleasant nightmares.
Funny... I can't find any mention of parasitoid spider larvae, just wasps...barnicles...fungi, things like that. Spiders are definitely creepy and alien enough for it though...

It's kind of scary to know how much horrifying/perverted/wierd/just plain alien stuff you see in movies/etc. is actually based on nature...
Earth is a varied and terrifying planet. Just ask the Austrailians...

EDIT: My point being: anything spiders can do in the field of freaking-people-out-with-your-gross-biology, wasps can do better (Except that web stuff. Few use it, and they have to brainwash spiders to do it!). And the legs. Eight just looks... even more WRONG than six. Ditto with the eyes. OK, spiders are pretty freaky. Actually, they are scarier than wasps, I just can't understand why, as wasp biology inspires more sci-fi horror than spiders do...
Documentry vid on that wasp: http://educatedearth.org/video.php?id=5215
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:10:06 pm by Matz05 »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 13, 2012, 10:11:44 pm »

I'd imagine that any host-spider egg scenario type thing would be more spiders trapping/killing various things and then laying eggs on them to allow the spiderlings something to eat.
Nom nom nom

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 13, 2012, 10:19:24 pm »

I prefer the idea of Zombie Wasps where their toxin kills someone and brings them back as a walking hive of deadly killer wasps.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 13, 2012, 10:20:34 pm »

I prefer the idea of Zombie Wasps where their toxin kills someone and brings them back as a walking hive of deadly killer wasps.
If this isn't a spawn/playable creature please oh please let it be a spell.
Nom nom nom

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 13, 2012, 10:53:03 pm »

Urist cancels obtain socks: Interrupted by Giant Wasp.
Urist cancels combat: Incapacitated.
Urist cancels Escape Confinement: Too drugged to care.
Urist cancels live: Eaten by wasp larva.
Urist has been struck down!

EDIT: Oh, just saying, I saw this on the IRC: http://pastebin.com/Ddyqvh0Z

What an excelent time to begin formal programming classes. I take my CSC101 final tomorrow morning, and one of the things we did was Java, so I'm comfortable with the way that looks!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:55:46 pm by Matz05 »

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 13, 2012, 11:08:30 pm »

If this isn't a spawn/playable creature please oh please let it be a spell.

If zombifying something is a condition of some kind, and there were wasps, there wouldn't be a reason for it not to work. However, we don't have any plans for wasps at this time. (Not that they aren't carnage).

Urist cancels obtain socks: Interrupted by Giant Wasp.
Urist cancels combat: Incapacitated.
Urist cancels Escape Confinement: Too drugged to care.
Urist cancels live: Eaten by wasp larva.
Urist has been struck down!

This will occur with spiders.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 13, 2012, 11:23:08 pm »

Muahaaa.

Now I just need to develop a school of illusion powers practicable by arthropods. The scripts you showed on IRC look like a good start. (Poof, giant spider is a rat... no wait, REGULAR spider!)

NINJA INFILTRATOR SPIDERS! We'll sneak into your camp in the dead of night and steal the juciest of you for our children to feed on! MUAHAAA!

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 14, 2012, 12:40:08 am »

Muahaaa.

Now I just need to develop a school of illusion powers practicable by arthropods. The scripts you showed on IRC look like a good start. (Poof, giant spider is a rat... no wait, REGULAR spider!)

NINJA INFILTRATOR SPIDERS! We'll sneak into your camp in the dead of night and steal the juciest of you for our children to feed on! MUAHAAA!

That could happen. We just explored the depth and power of the spell/power system, and I soiled myself. It's amazing. And easy to use.

More details later on. :)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26