Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26

Author Topic: Topia Online Kickstarter is live!!!  (Read 24146 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Topia Online Kickstarter is live!!!
« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2012, 08:44:21 pm »

Dunno, maybe you can breed and start your own pack or something.

I personally doubt it. It seems like the monster system is there in order to have intelligent monsters field the wilderness.

I have not heard much on fleshing out monsters with their own abilities and skills beyond that of dirrect combat.

Though what you are talking about certainly sounds like an area I'd want to see Monsters explore. With their own crafts and skills. A Spider's nest that causes wandering spiders to patrol the areas is certainly an interesting concept. As is the idea that the PC spider could get a pack from it too.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 08:45:57 pm by Neonivek »

PokemonRocks85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 12, 2012, 08:46:40 pm »

With the scripting we could make our own monsters right?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 12, 2012, 08:49:13 pm »

I think by scripting they mean that you can alter the NPCs (or rather Hirelings) AI.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 12, 2012, 09:00:56 pm »

Dunno, maybe you can breed and start your own pack or something.

I personally doubt it. It seems like the monster system is there in order to have intelligent monsters field the wilderness.

I have not heard much on fleshing out monsters with their own abilities and skills beyond that of dirrect combat.

Though what you are talking about certainly sounds like an area I'd want to see Monsters explore. With their own crafts and skills. A Spider's nest that causes wandering spiders to patrol the areas is certainly an interesting concept. As is the idea that the PC spider could get a pack from it too.

I've explained before that you can opt to have hirelings as your pack mates in Monster Play. Or you can have other players.

And we are definitely having monster crafted buildings and items. Monsters aren't just there to smash things. They are there to do things. (With the exception of maybe slimes. They are just slimey.)

We've been tossing around the idea of utilizing the spell system in the world to allow players to magically create their own terrible abominations. It's on the design board, so to speak.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2012, 09:02:52 pm »

So slimes are there just to multiply and for people to wack?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2012, 09:03:41 pm »

And we are definitely having monster crafted buildings and items. Monsters aren't just there to smash things. They are there to do things. (With the exception of maybe slimes. They are just slimey.)

Yay! That was my major issue with Lord of the Ring online and their monsters.

Also Slimes disolve things. Clearly they could use this ability to carve rocks, find gems, and make themselves luxurious crowns for which to wear.

This is of course ignoring the magic slimes (I don't know what it is about being a slime that makes you so good at magic...)

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 12, 2012, 09:08:39 pm »

Ooooooh....

That sounds like fun.

"The arm bone's connected to the -- knee bone! The knee bone's connected to the -- skull bone! The skull bone's connected to the -- crossbow! Da da da da da da..."

MUAHAAAAA!
I've been looking for years for a game where you can become a mad scientist/terrifying reclusive mage!

Ninja Neonivek: That sounds interesting. Slimes, being sensorily disadvantaged and armorphus, would have difficulty adding materials to others, but subtractive work might work well for thier dexterity and corrosive nature... They would probably make EXCELLENT stone carvers... if only they could communicate with the client or distinguish him from food. Or really relate to anything they can't touch.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2012, 09:53:06 pm »

So slimes are there just to multiply and for people to wack?

Well. They eat things. They split. They change forms to utilize different abilities. So yeah. That's about it. They are very basic creatures, designed to be easy to script and be successful. The more successful, the more Monster Points you get to fill out the rest of the ecology.

They would probably make EXCELLENT stone carvers... if only they could communicate with the client or distinguish him from food. Or really relate to anything they can't touch.

Slimes won't have the same senses as other creatures. Mostly just "IsEdible" for identification. It could lead to hilarious scenarios.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2012, 10:12:02 pm »

Yeah, I heard that they were blind and would really only see whether or not something was valid prey. That does sound hillarious!
Can they pass signals (chemicals/etc.) to each other for identification/communication?

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2012, 10:20:45 pm »

Yeah, I heard that they were blind and would really only see whether or not something was valid prey. That does sound hillarious!
Can they pass signals (chemicals/etc.) to each other for identification/communication?

Sure. I mean, slimes probably won't eat each other. They just aren't edible. And ideally, we'll want slimes to be able to "tell" another slime is there. So you'll have slime packs massing on prey and whatnot.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2012, 10:30:24 pm »

Just you wait you may think slimes are weak and an easy kill tell I make an army and take over the world. *evil laugh*
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2012, 10:58:56 pm »

Just you wait you may think slimes are weak and an easy kill tell I make an army and take over the world. *evil laugh*

No one said slimes were "weak" per se. I mean, an amorphous blob of corrosive material isn't really weak. They're just basic. Personally, I'd love to see a slime (or especially spider) holocaust. That's just me. XD

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2012, 11:03:27 pm »

Do monster have different looks like say when you make a slime you got green, yellow black, etc or that just for the humans and dwarfs? Well if you have it at all.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2012, 11:04:12 pm »

I still see people try to make basic scripts for slimes and keep a farm of them. Then it eats everyone because everyone thought it was weak.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2012, 11:33:35 pm »

No one said slimes were "weak" per se. I mean, an amorphous blob of corrosive material isn't really weak. They're just basic. Personally, I'd love to see a slime (or especially spider) holocaust. That's just me. XD
Yes.  That is my goal, to bring up an army of spiders.  Mwa ha ha.  Ha ha.  Ha ha. Ha ha ha.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26