Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26

Author Topic: Topia Online Kickstarter is live!!!  (Read 24078 times)

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Topia Online Kickstarter is live!!!
« on: December 10, 2012, 06:22:55 pm »

Thats right, folks! After a lot of design work and community feedback, our Kickstarter fundraiser is ready!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1784263141/topia-online

Come and check out our dev video, and learn why we redefine the sandbox MMORPG!

- Permadeath
- Extensive crafting and world design
- Player scripted spells/traps/interface content
- An infinitely sized world, scaling to the player population!
- Full monster play! Players make up the entire monster population! Wolves, elementals, floaty eyes, !!DWARVES!! and other insane things!
- A world which is shaped by YOU! No dev created quests, NPCs, dungeons, or any "canned" content. YOU decide what happens in the game world!

We have and will continue to strive for a "true" sandbox MMORPG. Where you can do anything, be anything, and build anything. Where there are consequences to your actions, and the players tell the story. No artificial systems to hold you down. No static content to consume and get bored of. You are the game.

Also, come check out our site at www.topiaonline.com !

Click on the "Sandbox" section of the main page to sample actual game content! You can even render your -OWN CUSTOM GAME WORLDS- in a forum post! With the technology we're using, anything is possible. So sign-up for the forums, threaten some developers with silk socks, and take part in what could be the most unique MMO to date.

End rant. ^.^

Also, thanks to the boss community, we have an IRC channel up!

Network: irc.quakenet.org
Channel: #topiaonline

Come and discuss!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 09:27:20 pm by Kruniac »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Topia Online Kickstarter is live!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 06:28:28 pm »

Hee hee, naked sword fights!

Good luck!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 06:34:29 pm »

Hee hee, naked sword fights!

Good luck!

Everyone right now is in the nood, yes. But they prefer it that way. We however, intend to put some clothes on them ASAP. :)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 06:38:06 pm »

Excuse me if this was stated in your Kickstarter, but what is your teams previous experience? I noticed on your website that it said the team was composed of professionals from various industries. I'm just curious if they've done any work we could see for ourselves.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 06:40:11 pm »

Well let me see how far down the list of features I can get until I groan and sigh

- Permadeath

*Groan*

Well that was fast

*Sigh*

Ohh and lovely they created a Obsessive player killing scenario too with monsters purchasing better monsters to kill people continuosly.

This is clearly not a game for me. Oh well, maybe the next one. Enjoy everyone!

Permadeath grants the community the power to remove unwanted players

Uhhhh... I know I dislike pernadeath and this game isn't for me... but does anything raise anyones alarm bells?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 06:42:03 pm by Neonivek »

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 07:04:21 pm »

Excuse me if this was stated in your Kickstarter, but what is your teams previous experience? I noticed on your website that it said the team was composed of professionals from various industries. I'm just curious if they've done any work we could see for ourselves.

Personally, I'm a web developer. I work with ASP.NET MVC framework and develop web applications. I'm also the lead designer behind Topia Online. You can check out the forums and talk to our art team to check out their portfolios, if you'd like.

Ohh and lovely they created a Obsessive player killing scenario too with monsters purchasing better monsters to kill people continuosly.

No. The -option- to kill other players is there. As are consequences. This will be a game driven by the community, and as such, community laws and justice will be the counter balance to rampant murderers. Also, we have mechanics in place to prevent new players from rampantly slaughtering others as they have nothing to lose. We've thought about the balance aspect of it very carefully.

Also, "monsters" purchasing "better monsters" isn't what we're striving toward. Because there are NO NPCs in the game world, the playerbase will make up the entire world's ecology. The behaviors of these monsters will be entirely up to the playerbase. If the Minotaurs want to hang out with the Slimes or whatever, that isn't for us to tell YOU how to play.

There will be violence. There will be characters lost. It happens.

As I said, feel free to come by the forums and ask questions, or see some Sandbox examples of what you can do in Topia. We care about the opinion of those who "don't like the game" as well as fans, as we have to work even harder to make the game fun for you! :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 07:06:52 pm »

No. The -option- to kill other players is there. As are consequences. This will be a game driven by the community, and as such, community laws and justice will be the counter balance to rampant murderers. Also, we have mechanics in place to prevent new players from rampantly slaughtering others as they have nothing to lose. We've thought about the balance aspect of it very carefully.

Yes but you see there is a resource balance. If you kill someone they have no resources and you have all your resources. If you kill enough you are unstoppable.

Unless of course you give the community arbitrary powers.

As I said, feel free to come by the forums and ask questions, or see some Sandbox examples of what you can do in Topia. We care about the opinion of those who "don't like the game" as well as fans, as we have to work even harder to make the game fun for you!

Are you insane!?! No one would want me... The Bay12forums barely want me. I am the most negative destructive person who still remains on this forum.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 07:09:09 pm »

Yes but you see there is a resource balance. If you kill someone they have no resources and you have all your resources. If you kill enough you are unstoppable.

Unless of course you give the community arbitrary powers.

As I said, feel free to come by the forums and ask questions, or see some Sandbox examples of what you can do in Topia. We care about the opinion of those who "don't like the game" as well as fans, as we have to work even harder to make the game fun for you!

Are you insane!?! No one would want me... The Bay12forums barely want me. I am the most negative destructive person who still remains on this forum.

That's not entirely accurate. Most gamers are programmed by the constraints of "modern" MMORPGs and when they hear "permadeath" or what have you, they immediately take a normal MMORPG experience and apply those standards. That isn't the case here.

True, you could take someone else's things. But without some place to put those things, they will decay. You do not become "stronger" by killing others. It's simply a tool to remove an obstacle. One with (potentially) fatal consequences.

*Edit* And yes, we want you. We value your opinions. We wouldn't have a game without the gaming community. And yes, I'm insane. It's been said.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:11:14 pm by Kruniac »

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 07:18:32 pm »

Sounds interesting.
When killing other player, is it just few strikes and dead or said player has some chance to survive with healing?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 07:22:15 pm »

Reading closer, this "Monster Play" actually sounds pretty interesting.  Are monster goals/rewards different than human goals/rewards?  Is there likely to be a problem of not enough monsters in the game to fight, because not enough people are playing as them?
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 07:24:56 pm »

Reading closer, this "Monster Play" actually sounds pretty interesting.  Are monster goals/rewards different than human goals/rewards?  Is there likely to be a problem of not enough monsters in the game to fight, because not enough people are playing as them?

You read "Death rarely happens"... what do you think?

Topia seems like one of those "balance over time" games.

Though it could be worse it could be like DayZ where the community had balance until it became popular making the game devolve into total backstabbing murder.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:31:47 pm by Neonivek »

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 08:09:33 pm »

Sounds interesting.
When killing other player, is it just few strikes and dead or said player has some chance to survive with healing?

We will be implementing a fully functional "non-lethal" combat system, in addition to a system which resolved more around WHAT you do, rather than "beat down HP until you win".

So a battle with another entity might take a while, if we're both parrying and defending well, or I might break my opponent's leg, knock them down, mount them, and stab them with a short blade. It'll be about a player's "actions" rather than "stats".

That having been said, a player could escape from combat with injuries. Both parties could, as a matter of fact.

The monster goals are whatever the monster's goals are. :) It's not up to us how you guys play the non-human population.

Playing as a monster in this game will be as simple as executing a script on that monster, and letting him operate by himself. Or you could opt to control them directly. The scripting system in this game will be extremely accessible to players, and will be relied upon to take care of your characters (human or otherwise) while you are offline.

You read "Death rarely happens"... what do you think?

Topia seems like one of those "balance over time" games.

Though it could be worse it could be like DayZ where the community had balance until it became popular making the game devolve into total backstabbing murder.

I'm not sure what you're meaning when you say "Death rarely happens". People will die. Monsters, humans, anything. It will just happen. As for total chaos and anarchy, please keep this in mind -

This will NOT be a game where a "veteran" player has "stats" or "skills" or "levels" that allow them to completely crush lesser people. If a player wants to attempt to end another player's life, they accept the consequence that the same can happen to them. Likewise, there will be various systems in play to provide a -multitude- of options for player interaction other than combat.

The game will not become "kill person, take stuff, lulz". There simply isn't an advantage in that, and many disadvantages. Again, this game will not be akin to most MMORPGs modern gamers have played. We wanted to go beyond "the formula" and create a truly living world, where you can focus more on the community than the "end game".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 08:12:23 pm »

What concequences? There are only concequences when there are people to enact them. Five co-ordinated people can defeat 500 unco-ordinated ones.

It is what I call the "Law of Concentration".

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 08:17:47 pm »

What concequences? There are only concequences when there are people to enact them. Five co-ordinated people can defeat 500 unco-ordinated ones.

It is what I call the "Law of Concentration".

Firstly, if the community is so fractured that they are scattered barbarians living alone, and five organized bandits (or whatever) decide to take what they want, then the authority WOULD BE those five organized people. However, we feel fairly confident that won't happen.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 08:21:33 pm »

A group of people cannot fight against those five organised players because they lack the ability to enact any influence upon them because of the difference in priorities.

Hense the Law of Concentration
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26