Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26

Author Topic: Topia Online Kickstarter is live!!!  (Read 24096 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Re: Topia Online Kickstarter is live!!!
« Reply #285 on: January 08, 2013, 08:47:46 am »

Just preordered this from the main website, it really reminds me of heaven and hearth :p but I really like what his could turn out to be.

My plan is to become a legendary blacksmith and make amazing weapons for everyone 
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 08, 2013, 09:21:36 am »

Just pledged. I'm surprised that they're still going through with the project despite the kickstarter setback. Shows they got gumption and they believe in their project, which makes me believe.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 08, 2013, 10:06:27 am »

yeah and they've said before that the stretch goals will get done eventually, as long as they can afford to keep working on the project.  So it's not like because they didn't get X amount of dollars that they will just refuse to finish the game.
Nom nom nom

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 08, 2013, 03:09:29 pm »

anyone know when beta starts ?

also this post by one of the devs made me respect them a lot :

Hey folks. I'm Garrott (Kruniac to the mortals) , Game Designer for Topia Online.

I'd like to welcome all of you new forum users, and start off with a lame speech.

Ahem.

We've put a lot of thought into Topia Online. Countless hours and countless sore throats have gone into discussing what makes a game "awesome". Going back over the classics of MMO gaming - Ultima Online, Asheron's Call, Everquest - one thing is constant: There are good games, and terrible games. There are badass ideas, and implementations which kill a game. When a portion of an MMO's population feels isolated, or gets the shaft due to "patch day", that can send an otherwise boss game into a tailspin from which it can't recover.

All of us here have experienced this firsthand and we decided to do something different. Instead of QQing about how terribad most modern MMOs are, or how typical they are, or how <foo> they are, we decided to create our own.

There are -many- great "indie" games out there. Games which push the limits of our imaginations, our wits, and our sanity. My personal taste leans toward "Survival Simulation" games. The Unreal World, !!Dwarf Fortress!!, Neo Scavenger, and a plethora of other titles which might not be known across the world, but have a dedicated fanbase because they are simply -awesome- games. MMOs like Ultima Online, where the community itself dictates policy and interaction, broke ground for what a "video game" meant to an online community.

As amazing as these games are, one thing I've always found lacking is the ability to DO things. Sure, you can build a fortress. But without other people to admire it (or break it), the glass is only half full. Jagged Alliance taught me the basics of logicstics, !!DF!! the need to feed a community, scores of games showed how fun it can be to build something, Ultima Online taught the predator/prey relationship in an online community, and the list goes on and on.

Taking into account the massive amount of gaming experience we have, we thought to ourselves -

"...Wouldn't it be cool if you could do <this>?"
"Why can't you do <this>? You should be able to!"
"I really wish I could do <this>"

Eventually, after centuries of complaining about features, or lack thereof, and everything in between, we made the decision to take things to another level. We started putting together the best ideas we've had for an MMO/Sandbox/Awesomesauce game, and brought them to life. This isn't simply another game - this is the Sandbox MMO redefined. The creative decisions of grizzled RPG veterans, brought together with the goal of making a dream a reality.

That's exactly what Topia Online is. Our brainchild. Months upon months of creative discussion, brainstorming, what works, what doesn't, what would be lame, what would be so awesomesauce that your nose bleeds profusely and you start shrieking, and what the redefined "formula" is for a "good" MMO. We aren't by any means finished these discussions. We are constantly having such depraved conversations that if you ever were to hear them, you would throw yourself in magma.

PermaDeath. Being captured by creatures. (Including spiders. You do the math.) Hiring henchmen. Terraforming. World building. Items having "histories". A game where -everything- you as a player does has an impact on the game world. Everything is tracked. Everything is noted. The world adjusts accordingly to what YOU people do.

This is not a game where you'll farm mobs for uber lootz. This is not a game where you'll log on only to wait seven hours until a raid boss spawns. This is a game where excessive slaughter can lead to a rise in necromantic forces, where slimes, wolves, and even dragons are controlled by YOU, where diseases run rampant, where The Darkness constantly looms on the horizon, threatening to engulf YOUR civilizations, and/or drag you (literally) kicking and screaming to consume the very essence of your being.

Where the Recently Deceased can be viewed on the web site, including rather amusing videos of how they died. Where conflict is recorded with colorful terms such as "wars, massacres, slaughters, skirmishes, etc". Where raiding your fellow man's supply lines for resources, food, and to inflict punitive damages can be just as important as controlling an empire.

Maybe you want to lay claim to a forest. Maybe you want to protect the trees, like some kind of elf druid hippy thing. Maybe the land appreciates that.

Or maybe you want to pursue the forgotten arts of Necromancy. Maybe you rob graves for parts. Maybe you spread disease intentionally or unintentionally, causing an epidemic that has the entire population looking to put your head upon a pike.

We fully intend to present to our community a myriad of possibilities. We will go above and beyond "Kill creature. Get lootz. Level up. Trololol." We will give you guys a living, breathing world to build or destroy at your whim. Where every decision you make matters, where social interaction is just as important as what kind of a sword you have, where every creature in the world is controlled by YOU, and where the only rules in place are what you folks decide there are.

Also, chopping down trees. You can chop down trees.

Overall, we intend to be forever vigilant in making sure that features are added, user accessibility is constantly reviewed, and the game is simply as awesome as we can possibly make it. So get those beta sign-ups in, be on the look out for dev updates informing you of the latest features, and get active in the forums.

If any of you have any questions for me, fire away. I'll try to answer everything as best as I can, and who knows? Your question might just provoke another grueling 6 hour dev discussion, and could very well shape the future of this project.

Welcome to Topia Online.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 08, 2013, 04:26:43 pm »

<sniff> Beautiful.

joshrmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 08, 2013, 10:40:13 pm »

Topia Online is going strong, regardless of the Kickstarter.  Check out our brand new section, 'The Observer':
http://www.topiaonline.com/observer/index

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 09, 2013, 03:06:48 am »

nice nice looks really good, also i calculated that if everyone only bought the base game at $25 you would still have $6575 which is still quite a reasonable number.

Anyway do we ( as in bay12 ) have a guild set up yet ?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 09, 2013, 08:26:52 am »

Permadeath, possibility to do anything, player-shaped world, player-made abilities, player-controlled creatures, access on all platforms, future graphics improvement, some magic prevention of the typical permadeath, unrestricted PvP and scripting pitfalls... Sounds too much like a typical dream project rather than anything solid. Now, if it had a free beta, I would have looked at it and decided whether I want to buy, but I see no way I'm going to pledge to the current bunch of unrealistic promises.

Please make the beta free, that's what I'm saying. ;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 09:26:10 am by Dariush »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 09, 2013, 08:47:19 am »

It might be a good idea to let people know that the beta is not currently running. I pre-ordered because all information on the site led me to believe that I would have access to the beta that was running. The stats in particular were misleading. I am patient, but other gamers might be a bit upset at the experience.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 09, 2013, 09:26:34 am »

Does anyone know how combat works in this game? I don't think I've seen that question answered yet :(

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 09, 2013, 02:51:21 pm »

Hand to hand combat takes place "out of the world" in  kind of semi-automated side-on fighter way. You have some standing orders for strategies (movesets, tactics), and either you or a script can swap them while the computer fights... I think.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 09, 2013, 04:33:39 pm »

We've put a lot of thought into Topia Online. Countless hours and countless sore throats have gone into discussing what makes a game "awesome"

But not enough in SHOWING why it is awsome. The Topia team's unprofessionalism was what hurt the funding the most in my oppinion. Often picking screens because it seemed awsome to the team but not to anyone else (Cubeslime man... dear goodness, that screen alone would convince me not to fund this)

It needed both more people who were dedicated to showing why the game was awsome in a more general sense as well as better screenshots and writing on why Topia is awsome on its own kickstarter.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 09, 2013, 04:36:51 pm »

I'd imagine that will clear up once people start reporting on beta.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 09, 2013, 05:33:00 pm »

I'd imagine that will clear up once people start reporting on beta.

Hopefully

It certainly deserves attention

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 09, 2013, 05:46:45 pm »

Neon out of interest have you preordered ?

Also guys they do show off some of the engine and give you a demo of the game for free. If you go on their main site and then sandbox you can mess about with some of the stuff they are trying to implement. This service is currently down till the 12th due to updates to the sandbox
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26