Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26

Author Topic: Topia Online Kickstarter is live!!!  (Read 24142 times)

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Topia Online Kickstarter is live!!!
« Reply #195 on: December 15, 2012, 06:27:01 pm »

Here's a screenshot of the 'mini script marketplace' in the test sandbox, featuring the new 'powers' system.

http://i.imgur.com/Uawcq.png

brb, making an attack spell that teleports items into someone's organs.

... and then turns them into a wolf.

Teleporting a wolf into a wolf into a wolf... wolfception Oo

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 15, 2012, 07:03:30 pm »

I've been thinking about the monster control system, and here's what I noticed: If you can script monsters however you want, and since you can have a "main" human character on the same account at the same time, what's stopping you from, say, using the monsters as essentially free hirelings for that human, or making them not fight back when attacked by that human so that that human can easily get whatever drops the monster gives (drops where mentioned at some point, ingredients fo advanced crafting or something)
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 15, 2012, 07:12:45 pm »

Well I guess influence'll be account-bound so in the end you'd be leeching off your own influence.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 15, 2012, 07:42:20 pm »

But I think they said most monsters dont have influence and dont need any...
<@Akroma> eh

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 15, 2012, 07:53:30 pm »

I've been thinking about the monster control system, and here's what I noticed: If you can script monsters however you want, and since you can have a "main" human character on the same account at the same time, what's stopping you from, say, using the monsters as essentially free hirelings for that human, or making them not fight back when attacked by that human so that that human can easily get whatever drops the monster gives (drops where mentioned at some point, ingredients fo advanced crafting or something)

From what I gather, absolutely nothing.  However, many monsters can't easily co-exist easily, considering they need people to eat in order to multiply/not starve.  Wolves I can see easily being "Domesticated", but you have to make sure other players don't kill your pets for their loot, since they would have to hunt animals (Like deer and the like) for food. 

Spiders I know need to lay eggs inside of someone to multiply, and undead need to kill someone to multiply (Zombies may need to eat people as well).  This means that having them domesticated in a town might be... messy, and would require wasting a lot of influence on hirelings.  Will probably still happen, but it would cost a lot and may be easier just to go into the wilderness and hunt "wild" ones.  Of course, a group of "Wild" ones would probably have a player that culls them for resources, but they wouldn't rely on the player for resources.

It should be interesting.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 15, 2012, 07:59:56 pm »

Okay, I just read a bit more into the forums, and apparently you dont permanently unlock monsters once you have enough points for them, instead you "buy" the monster for one lifetime, and when it dies you have to pay for it again. Meaning that you can't farm monsters for free as I originally thought (save for the tier 1 ones possibly, but those probably dont give anything worthwhile)
<@Akroma> eh

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 15, 2012, 08:29:14 pm »

Okay, I just read a bit more into the forums, and apparently you dont permanently unlock monsters once you have enough points for them, instead you "buy" the monster for one lifetime, and when it dies you have to pay for it again. Meaning that you can't farm monsters for free as I originally thought (save for the tier 1 ones possibly, but those probably dont give anything worthwhile)

Yeah, you have to play as a monster to get monster points, in order to buy one.  However, keep in mind that monsters can multiply without using monster points, they just require certain resources, so you can still farm them, it's just not easy (Depending on what they need).
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 15, 2012, 09:09:31 pm »

As long as resources are needed to farm them, I consider that a part of gameplay, instead of a possible exploit if you could just create monsters for free then kill them (without them fighting back because you scripted them to not fight) for free loot.
<@Akroma> eh

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 16, 2012, 12:45:03 am »

Most monsters won't be able to tell who is who. A slime might only understand "food, not food". A wolf might only see "Human". That's important from a scripting aspect. Your slime population, in order to not fight back, would have to basically be helpless. Also, with an automated combat system, a creature will do -something- to an attacker.

As long as resources are needed to farm them, I consider that a part of gameplay, instead of a possible exploit if you could just create monsters for free then kill them (without them fighting back because you scripted them to not fight) for free loot.

Basic monsters will be free. Anything beyond that will require monster points. It'll be pretty interesting to see the value of any items produced from those creatures, as farming them would require going up against another player's monster population.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 16, 2012, 01:43:00 am »

About the whole Obelisk system I've been reading about on the forum:

It's mentioned that new obelisks light up (and thus expand the land) when more players join the game world, at what rate does that happen? How dense/sparse will human/monster population be spread?

Also, it's mentioned that obelisks also turn off if there are too little people active in the world, making the area inaccessible again. Does it turn off if, say, there is one person still active in that obelisk's range, but everyone else there is inactive? Because it would seem silly to force a person to abandon his home and land whenever population in his area drops for some reason.
<@Akroma> eh

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 16, 2012, 02:48:37 am »

Now that I learned that my pure negativity even irrational negativity towards a game actually makes it more popular on this forum. I don't feel so bad for what I did earlier.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 16, 2012, 05:55:34 am »

About the whole Obelisk system I've been reading about on the forum:

It's mentioned that new obelisks light up (and thus expand the land) when more players join the game world, at what rate does that happen? How dense/sparse will human/monster population be spread?

Also, it's mentioned that obelisks also turn off if there are too little people active in the world, making the area inaccessible again. Does it turn off if, say, there is one person still active in that obelisk's range, but everyone else there is inactive? Because it would seem silly to force a person to abandon his home and land whenever population in his area drops for some reason.

We don't have a set threshold for this. The system is in place to avoid the problems of other sandbox MMOs that have MASSIVE game worlds, but not a massive playerbase.

Ideally, humans will have enough room to grow, but still see each other on a regular basis. Certain monsters (and dwarves) will begin underground, so that will thin out density topside a bit. Again, it's something that will have to be balanced. We don't want players smashed against each other, but at no point should the game seem devoid of entities. That's just not fun.

If activity is taking place in an area on a regular basis, it's safe to assume the area will not vanish. Likewise, it wouldn't vanish or fade if someone lived there, unless something terrible happens.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 16, 2012, 04:12:43 pm »

Now that I learned that my pure negativity even irrational negativity towards a game actually makes it more popular on this forum. I don't feel so bad for what I did earlier.

You are the perfect straw man.

In all seriousness, you brought up good points that many people were probably thinking on some level.  Having them addressed by the Devs definitely helped. 

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 16, 2012, 04:48:05 pm »

I couldn't resist anymore and just figured out how to pay on Amazon Payments to support this kickstarter. Hopefully it gets funded.
<@Akroma> eh

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 16, 2012, 05:35:22 pm »

I think he means the evil things desirious of your tasty inside meats pretending -- possibly badly -- to be human.

This. Also consider dopplegangers, and the Fun you can cause.

I tended to use Mimics. If you were creative enough you could put them anywhere.

Hmm... Sabre-toothed "Hat Mimic"?

"Oh, loot!"
DECAPITATION!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 26