Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Games you like but cannot play for beans!  (Read 10048 times)

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Games you like but cannot play for beans!
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 06:08:17 pm »

Eador always makes me think there is something I am not doing...
This something might be save scumming or barring that, using legitimate "travel back in time" option.

Dungeon Crawl is this kind of game for me. Looking at good players' talk in ##crawl  IRC channel makes me want to play this but I never seem to get far enough to see any of the neat branches or to get acquainted with any of the gods you don't start with.

Also, anything competetive and not turn-based. Also, chess.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 06:17:30 pm by Jiharo »
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 06:13:36 pm »

The RTS Achron.
Like, most RTS games I can put up a competent fight with my opponent (and usually lose, but you know, it's not like I was floundering around or anything, they're just good), but in Achron I always get buggered over by the time travel mechanics. I either neglect them and get overwhelmed by attacks that I didn't even know were happening, and sort of weren't because of how timewaves work; or I spent so much time diddling around with the timeline that my forces were terrible and I expanded to the whole of 1 resource area, while the player opponent was cruising with an army covering half the map and control spanning the entire timeline. I always feel so overwhelmed so quickly.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 06:16:04 pm »

Children of the Nile, it's a godlike city builder where you control ancient Egypt.  I always hit big troubles when population gets too high and they want to worship.  Being the Egyptian Pantheon, they want to worship 20 different gods, each of which has their own temple as big as 6 houses, and must be within walking distance of the working class houses.

Aside from that, I really love the ideas.  You can collect resources from local quarries or trade, and I love stockpiling lots of fresh white limestone, or seeing my workers pull a massive basalt statue towards the temple.  Really gives an idea of "expensive, large, valuable commodity".
Oh, that seems exactly like Pharaoh (with also an annoying sum of things needed to get higher houses). I had a really great time with this game (and installed it again a few weeks ago).

On topic, there isn't much. Either I find a game interesting, and I'll try to play it until I at least understand correctly (or more), either it bores me rather quickly, and then I don't play it.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 06:19:44 pm »

Real life. I am musically retarded and yet am trying to learn the guitar; I am a biological weed and go to the gym; I'm lazy and am doing a pharmacy degree. :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 06:22:58 pm »

Drawing anything.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 06:33:29 pm »

I really love playing RTS games in singleplayer, but I am so bad at them. Micro-managing units is simply beyond my capacity it seems. I can get through them given enough retries but it kinda reduces the feeling of accomplishment at times. Regardless, I still enjoy it- Total Annihilation remains one of my all time favorite games to play (including Kingdoms, it's different but just as good if you ask me)

I'm also terrible at arcade style fighting games, but I really enjoy their character designs and backstory. I've got the reflexes to dominate in games like Smash Bros. but if you have memorize combos etc I might as well just be mashing buttons. Which is actually what I end up doing anyway sometimes.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 07:36:49 pm »

Hearts of Iron 3, it's really fun and in depth but I just CAN'T play it!  I'm too impatient probably, and I always pick USA so I don't get to do anything for literally half of the game.  Except invade Mexico or Canada or something.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 07:47:13 pm »

Sim City. All of them.

Any RTS in online mode. I swear, it's like every game I play is against stereotypical Koreans.

Hearts of Iron and the related EU series. They look like they'd be something I would enjoy, but then I start and utterly fail to do anything but flail about until death.

Dwarf Fortress I'm in a middle ground with. I can usually get a nice, safe fortress carved out, but then I get bored. If I try to do something interesting, I fail before getting anything done.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 08:30:22 pm »

I'm decent at most fighting games I've played (such as the Blazblue games, Guilty Gear X2, and Dead or Alive 4), but I suck when it comes to Street Fighter.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 08:52:23 pm »

Would games that cost more than I can afford count?

Technically, they would be games I like but can't afford because they cost more than beans.  That counts, right?  ;D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 08:53:24 pm »

Would games that cost more than I can afford count?

Technically, they would be games I like but can't afford because they cost more than beans.  That counts, right?  ;D

Honestly I suspected people would bog this down with games that can be put on high difficulty... I thought I'd hear something like "I like Xcom but I cannot beat it on Classic Ironman"

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 09:00:42 pm »

Starfarer

Love everything about the game so far, except my complete incompetence. Bought it a year ago and barely played a few hours, a few agonizing hours filled with failure and pain.

AI War

Still haven't given up on that one, but I still can't figure out how not shoot myself in the foot. That's the funny thing about this one, you don't fail simply because of incompetence (at low difficulty settings anyway)... doing too well can also lead to your inevitable defeat.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 09:19:40 pm »

Team Fortress 2.
I've invested countless hours in it, but I can't aim at all. Rather typical, but there's a reason I don't play Sniper.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 12:13:50 am »

Civilization III, Touhou, Starcraft and Final Fantasy III all come to mind.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 12:19:11 am »

League of Legends, X-Com: Enemy Unknown, Team Fortress 2,
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7