Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Games you like but cannot play for beans!  (Read 10046 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Games you like but cannot play for beans!
« on: December 10, 2012, 05:10:27 pm »

So I bought this game off of gog called Eador - Genesis and so far I like it, it is a bit too rush, everything is going well and I really enjoyed the tutorial.

At least that is until I started the campaign and noticed something very peculiar... I couldn't play the game if my life depended on it! I struggle to beat the easiest levels on the easiest difficulties and I swear there is a trick to it. I once lost to nobody!

I feel uttarly incompetent at a game that actually somewhat interests me and that I actually want to play.

So that brings me to this. What games do you like but you cannot play for the life of you? Where you are so inept at playing that you can only dream of even reaching the midpoint and yet you cannot stop playing.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Games you like but cannot play for beans!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 05:12:11 pm »

Honestly, if I'm not at least passably good at a game I can't enjoy it.
Shoes...

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 05:17:09 pm »

Super Meat Boy. I just CANNOT get past the tofu zombie clone boy boss thingy, but I enjoy the game a lot.

Dwarf Fortress is always too convoluted and complicated for me to get into.

I enjoy Liberal Crime Squad quite a bit and know exactly what I'm doing, but I can never seem to get very far.

I love Cthulhu Saves the World so much, but can't beat the sword boss. I probably just need the help of a guide.

Edit: Dungeons of Dredmor, or pretty much any roguelike expect Spelunky - which I actually beat once.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 05:20:45 pm by Mongol13524 »
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 05:19:49 pm »

Battle for Wesnoth. I used to be pretty good at it, but I've since slid into failure. I keep playing, but savescum has become my chief recourse. Same for Frozen Synapse, I just can't stop failing. I've got a complete list of Sega Megadrive games on my computer tht never get played, because somehow I suck too hard at them. How have I actually gotten worse at those games, despite adding years of experience to my belt?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 05:22:08 pm »

Children of the Nile, it's a godlike city builder where you control ancient Egypt.  I always hit big troubles when population gets too high and they want to worship.  Being the Egyptian Pantheon, they want to worship 20 different gods, each of which has their own temple as big as 6 houses, and must be within walking distance of the working class houses.

Aside from that, I really love the ideas.  You can collect resources from local quarries or trade, and I love stockpiling lots of fresh white limestone, or seeing my workers pull a massive basalt statue towards the temple.  Really gives an idea of "expensive, large, valuable commodity".

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 05:22:54 pm »

Battle for Wesnoth. I used to be pretty good at it, but I've since slid into failure. I keep playing, but savescum has become my chief recourse. Same for Frozen Synapse, I just can't stop failing. I've got a complete list of Sega Megadrive games on my computer tht never get played, because somehow I suck too hard at them. How have I actually gotten worse at those games, despite adding years of experience to my belt?
I forgot about Frozen Synapse. I love it, but can't get very far into the campaign. I need to try again, maybe I've become smarter.
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 05:24:14 pm »

for *hard* gaming, I used to enjoy the R-type series (arcade space combat shooter series, very hard). I still play R-type Final on my PS2 every once in a while (and still haven't beaten it)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 05:24:33 pm »

Seems to be my case too.  I suck at RTS's and bullet-hell games, and I don't particularly like playing them either.  Pretty much anything where I need to keep track of lots of things and react in real time I'm no good at.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 05:25:27 pm »

One of the side effects of my disability is my motor responsiveness is, in some areas, lacking. Unfortunately, one of these areas is my arms and hands. I have played many First Person Manslaughterers, Masochistic Platform Jumpers and Japanese Bullet Evaders. Most of the time I enjoy them, but I have never been able to progress in my skill playing them. Anything that requires a certain level of timing is right out.

This is why love TBS and RPG games like Disgaea, Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem and such.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 05:28:46 pm »

1) Blazblue I can't do my combos vs a real person
2) Most RTS that can go online people too strong
3) Touhou I've only beat 9 and on easy....
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 05:38:22 pm »

Seems to be my case too.  I suck at RTS's and bullet-hell games, and I don't particularly like playing them either.  Pretty much anything where I need to keep track of lots of things and react in real time I'm no good at.

I'm trying to change that! I'm starting to feel that's actually a pretty important topic. I'm starting to get used to games where I can just burn through without REALLY having to use. Semi-intelligent but relatively obvious strategies are usually enough. If they're not, I tend to get frustrated and quit. Of course, this holds mostly for strategy games.

But is that really the best way to approach games? If the new XCOM showed me anything, it was that losing CAN be fun, and it can be fun to struggle. I'd actually argue that it should be fun and that we should embrace it. It makes us re-think, re-evaluate, re-strategise. These are all things which are important. We should consider it a challenge rather than a failure. Facing challenges is part of life, and a very valuable skill...

I have huge difficulty in doing this still, but I am getting better. I take a deep breath, pause the game (if possible) and really rethink all cause-effect relationships that might be affecting what I'm doing. I concede territory to regroup... that kind of stuff!

For the less strategic and more dexterity-based games I sort of feel everyone has some natural limitations, but that by making a conscious effort to improve you can actually go pretty far. The same think I did before actually still happens, but more at the micro level... trying to understand exactly where you are failing and why, and where you need to press what key. I dunno. Less experience here :)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 05:47:26 pm »

I don't think its necessarily losing that puts me off(although maybe it contributes).  I died probably thousands of times in Super Meat Boy, and I still enjoyed that.   I had a hell of a time trying to figure out some spacechem solutions and it was still fun.

Its more of me knowing that I'm never actually going to get much better at something.  If I have no talent at all at something, its probably not going to be much fun for me.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 05:47:40 pm »

Games that just outright beat you down are impossible to get into. Eador always makes me think there is something I am not doing... in fact I suspect the game is incredibly easy and I just don't know it.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 05:50:04 pm »

Starcraft II is a fantastic game to watch and observe, but fuck every playing it. Especially with the professional gaming mentality of "If a mechanic is made easier then pros won't be as far away from casuals skill wise", which makes the game simply insufferable to play.

Never gonna not watch the games though.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 05:52:19 pm »

Starcraft II as well. Both the attitude a lot of the players have and the sort of obsessive effort required to get very good are turnoffs for me, but I love messing about in the high bronze/low silver rankings for 4v4.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7