Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58098 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #645 on: August 27, 2013, 03:00:20 am »

Spoiler: 28/52 completed (click to show/hide)
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: August 28, 2013, 12:17:04 pm »

Finished Wasp.  It's relatively short, but quite fun - the premise is that a single person dropped behind enemy lines can cause a huge reaction, enough to divert an entire war effort (hence the title - the main character is the metaphorical wasp that causes a car crash).  Surprisingly relevant despite being written in 1957.

Spoiler: 3/52 (click to show/hide)

Starting book 4 today: The Rapture of the Nerds, by Cory Doctorow and Charles Stross.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: August 29, 2013, 08:43:23 pm »

Spoiler: 41/52 (click to show/hide)

JESUS CHRIST THESE BOOKS ARE TERRIBLE

Only eleven to go.  Maybe I'll start working on having selection criteria that are better than "it's on my shelf and I haven't read it."

Kind of want to start Wuthering Heights?  Maybe that and Meridian will be the books for this weekend.  Meridian is one of those things where I don't want to set it down, but I don't want to pick it up either because I'm scared that bad things will happen.

This has been really fun for me, actually, and pushed me to read a lot more than I have in years.  Or rather, to pay more attention to things like that I accidentally read an 850-page Harry Potter fanfic in my spare time on the train and before bed.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 30, 2013, 08:12:36 am »

Spoiler: 21/52 (click to show/hide)
    Finished book #21, To Kill a Mockingbird. This book is awesome, 'nuff said. 5/5.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #649 on: August 30, 2013, 07:40:46 pm »

There is something really weird about reading the Vampire Hunter D light novels and Gravity's Rainbow simultaneously. They sometimes start blurring together and I sometimes forget that D is supposed to be hunting vampires, not rockets.
    This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
      • View Profile
    « Reply #650 on: August 31, 2013, 03:04:18 am »

Two more books go down, Winter's Heart, book nine in the Wheel of Time series, and a standalone historical fiction/fantasy (a weird combination I know) book called Under Heaven; leaving me with only 2 books left!

Spoiler: Books Finished 50/52 (click to show/hide)
    Total Pages: 21,931
    Quote from: PTTG
    It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
    Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #651 on: August 31, 2013, 03:41:55 am »

Where do you guys find the time to read so much? I haven't even had a that much time to myself this summer and I'm a student!
    That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #652 on: August 31, 2013, 04:01:09 am »

A lot of it I attribute to a combination of my very fast reading speed (somewhere in the area of 400 words per minute) and my tendency to just sit down and read an entire book in one go. For example I read my latest book, Winter's Heart starting at about noon today and finishing it somewhere around 10:30 pm, some 659 pages of about 400 words each.
    It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
    Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #653 on: August 31, 2013, 11:14:24 am »

For genre fiction, I read 100 pages an hour.  College-level/literature--a page a minute or so.

When I was in college, I counted some of my coursework; then I had a job with 4 hours on public transportation each and every day, which I passed either sleeping or reading; now I'm unemployed (waiting for a job to start) and keeping myself distracted.  Honestly, I read way more than I put down here, but it's mostly, like. . . fluff or erotica, or stuff that I finish a lot of and then give up on in favor of throwing it at the wall, so I don't feel comfortable counting it.  I'm trying not to measure how much I read so much as how much I commit.
    "The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
    • inveterate shitposter
      • View Profile
    « Reply #654 on: August 31, 2013, 11:51:55 am »

I've blown a lot of the summer with similar things as Vector, that I don't think are worth mentioning here, but which easily account for for ~4 million words. It's mostly a matter of having spare time and enjoying filling it with words, IMO.

Aurora on small monitors:
    1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
    2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
    3. Run Resize Enable

Vector

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #655 on: September 03, 2013, 08:52:28 pm »

Spoiler: 43/52 (click to show/hide)

Alice Walker is boss, but Meridian wasn't nearly as striking as The Color Purple.  A good, gripping read, and something I wish I could spend more time with, but I feel like I need to move on to read more Black authors before I'll be able to really understand what Meridian was doing.

On to Wuthering Heights for now.  After that I'll pick between A Cure for the Blues, To the Lighthouse, and Beloved.
    « Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 01:13:58 am by Vector »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #656 on: September 05, 2013, 01:12:06 am »

Two more books finished, which (I think) makes me the first person to complete the 52 book challenge! (And also to a nice round number of 22,800 pages!) I'm not dropping out completely though, and I've set myself a new goal of 75 books before January 1, we'll see if I can make it or not. ;D

Total Pages: 22,800

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
      • View Profile
      • Aira Plays Games
    « Reply #657 on: September 05, 2013, 03:48:17 pm »

Spoiler: 1 through 33 (click to show/hide)

Book 34: The Princess Bride - William Goldman

Naturally I grew up watching the film, over and over again. Reading this book, it was like reading the film, but with all kinds of fun extra backstory stuff. It's absolutely brilliant and everyone should read it. Now, I'm going to spoiler this part for those who haven't read the book, because this part was so well done that I don't want anyone to be robbed of the chance to experience it the way I did (read on if you want to hear an embarrassing story about me):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now to go re-watch the film again, because I haven't seen it for at least a year and that's just too long.

Also, check out this total page count: 11011

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
    • Ridin' with Biden
      • View Profile
    « Reply #658 on: September 06, 2013, 12:23:49 pm »

Spoiler: 21/52 (click to show/hide)
      Finished book #22, The Fellowship of the Rings.
      I am slightly disappointed. I kinda expected me to like it better than the film, but I don't. I still think it's a great book though. 5/5
      I also have no idea how to gr rid of these list thingies at the end of this post :v[/list][/list]

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
        • View Profile
      « Reply #659 on: September 06, 2013, 04:28:05 pm »

I also have no idea how to gr rid of these list thingies at the end of this post :v
      Remove the [list] tag prior to your [spoiler] tag and then just delete them.
      Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 50