Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58145 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #540 on: May 16, 2013, 10:11:47 am »

I've picked up The Reality Dysfunction twice and haven't gotten through the first half yet. It's dense. Undoubtedly a good book, but not everyone may enjoy it.

Great trilogy. There's a lot of supernatural horror in that sci-fi, though I think the Primes (Commonwealth Saga) are a scarier antagonist. The whole concept of MorningLightMountain and their species is amazing. Heck, even the fantasy sections of the void trilogy were good. Hamilton is great and genre-bending and fantastic worldbuilding, too. Just a shame his endings always seem to be pulled from the ass deus-ex-machina-type deals. :( Now I gotta read Pandora's Star again...

Spoiler:  24/100 (click to show/hide)

Starting to think I was a little ambitious with a 100-book goal. Got no patience for reading books on a screen these days... it has to be paper. But I don't have most of the series I wanted to read in ye olde book form.  :-\
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 04:19:00 pm by Caz »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 17, 2013, 03:11:01 pm »

Finished book #8: Dune. Awesome world, great story, shitty ending.

A good book :D. Will definitely read some more books in the series later.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 17, 2013, 04:37:28 pm »

Will definitely read some more books in the series later.
Many people recommend you do not do this.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #543 on: May 18, 2013, 02:27:25 am »

I liked everything through God-Emperor of Dune, though I have mixed feelings beyond that point. I also have a couple of books written by his son, but after the first few chapters I just sort of lost interest, there was nothing holding my attention. They become more and more like textbooks on politics. I felt like I needed to read them with a notebook at hand just to keep track of what was going on.

I'm currently re-reading the series as well, though I haven't decided where I'll stop this time. I might give the later books another chance.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 18, 2013, 06:33:04 am »

Finally going to update this;
Spoiler: 25 Down (click to show/hide)
The latest are the Richard Morgan, John Scalzi and Tamora Pierce books. And that's a weird mix.

The author's note for The Steel Remains, the first of the A Land Fit For Heroes series;
“If you had to – really had to – kill someone, which way would you rather they made you do it? With a pistol, or with an axe?

Exactly. So welcome to the brutal world of Ringil Angeleyes, scarred hero of Gallows Gap and death-wish-furious, semi-retired warrior aristocrat. I’ve been talking a good fight about fantasy noir for a while – now I’m putting my money where my mouth is. The Steel Remains is a grubby, blood-spattered trawl through exactly how unpleasant it might be to actually have to live in the average fantasy universe. Can you do noir in a fantasy landscape? You can certainly try…”
Oh, he also made two of the three POV characters gay, just to make it a little less pleasant for them.

The Human Division was Scalzi's attempt at serialised fiction, with all 13 (self contained short story) episodes making it onto the NYT bestseller list. I read it once all thirteen were out as a single novel and it worked great that way, with only a couple stories feeling even slightly disconnected. Helped that it's set in the Old Man's War universe which I've already spent lots of time in. It's been *ahem* renewed for a second season and I might just have to read along this time. Anyone interested should start with OMW though.

Tamora Pierce is children's fantasy far, far cleaner (but in no sense sanitised) than Morgan. The quartet I just read is the third set in Tortall, after the Song of the Lioness and the Immortals series, both of which I read last year. Each quartet follows a single girl growing up. The first follows Alanna, a powerful magic using noble, as she becomes a knight by posing as a boy, then her first adventures as the only female knight. The second follows Daine, a wild mage who has a strong connection to wild animals. This series follows Kel, daughter of diplomats to this universe's Japan expy, as she is determined to become the first openly female page/squire/knight. To a degree it's a repeat of the first quartet, only done about ten times better, IMO.

You do need to have read all eight previous books for certain parts of this series to make sense as the characters and stories carry almost directly over (the first book is set in the immediate aftermath of the Immortals series), which is a bit of a shame because these books are far stronger. She credits this to JK Rowling who made her publisher recognise children might manage another hundred pages in their fantasy stories, giving her the room to stretch. I'd hugely recommend these to anyone looking for female fronted fantasy or for fantasy books for younger relatives. In general they are quick and fun reads.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 06:38:32 am by palsch »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 21, 2013, 02:46:43 am »

Finished book #9: The Selfish Gene, by Richard Dawkins. Only ten books behind schedule now...

I give it a 5/5. It was a very interesting book, and I'll definitely read some more of him. Probably either The Extended Phenotype or The God Delusion, as those seem to be his other most well-known books. I think I'll also read some more science books in general. Might as well get Darwin's On the origin of species. Kinda a must-have as a biologist :P

But yeah, great book. Would definitelty recommend it. Do get the latest edition you can get your hands on though, as he later added some chapters and a lot of footnotes.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 02:51:25 am by Dutchling »

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 21, 2013, 05:24:00 am »

Personal opinion warning;

Of his early evolution books, the best is easily The Blind Watchmaker. It's targeted pretty squarely at critics of The Selfish Gene and evolution in general and makes one of the strongest cases for (gene centric) evolutionary theory that exists. That said, if you have read any one of his pre-90's books you don't really need to cover the rest.

Outside that I would strongly recommend The Ancestor's Tale and Unweaving the Rainbow over his other work. The Ancestor's Tale is pretty comprehensive and written in an interesting fashion; working backwards from humans through each evolutionary division towards the last ultimate common ancestor while covering an important topic in evolutionary theory at each division. Unweaving the Rainbow is the major work he produced as the professor for public understanding of science and is his only real general science book. Probably not for everyone, but likely a better attempt at convincing people than The God Delusion.

I should get back to reviewing pop-science books.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 21, 2013, 06:42:45 am »

Any other pop-science books you would recommend? I have read Pale Blue Dot (and loved it) but that's about it.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 21, 2013, 07:45:41 am »

Wow that's a dangerous question. I'm just editing slightly a list I made over three years ago here. Spoilered for length;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Note that these are mixed between heavy and detailed science and fluffy, fun texts that maybe have less accuracy or detail. I could probably do more specific recommendations and reviews for anything people are particularly interested in. I do have a pretty heavy physics/maths bias as well and haven't included any of the obvious biologists.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 21, 2013, 07:54:31 am »

Science of Discworld? That does not sound like real science :P

edit: I think (once I have some more monnies) I will start on the Dawkins book you suggested and the Hawking ones.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:56:21 am by Dutchling »

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 21, 2013, 08:08:07 am »

Those books are what got me into popular science in the first place, and I remember them being really, really good.
Spoiler: Concept (click to show/hide)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 21, 2013, 08:11:33 am »

Ah, that actually sounds very interesting. I was expecting something like Dune's "science" bits.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 21, 2013, 10:10:59 am »

edit: I think (once I have some more monnies) I will start on the Dawkins book you suggested and the Hawking ones.
Didn't see this before.

The Hawkings books need a caution note;

On the Shoulders of Giants is actually a collection of classic physics texts that Hawking just wrote introductions for. Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo, Newton, Einstein. It's a nice way to follow the progression of thought through time, but frankly some of the texts are hard to read even if you know the ideas being discussed. Galileo is a joy to read, Newton absolute torture. If Hawking had included notes throughout the texts or some other value it would be worth it, but as it is it probably isn't worth spending money on. I'm pretty sure you could dig up all the texts (other than, maybe, the specific Einstein papers) online for free without Hawking's brief notes.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 21, 2013, 11:03:50 am »

Well, it's mainly A Brief History of Time I'm interested in as I've heard that's good.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 21, 2013, 11:36:57 am »

Feh, Newton writes like a mathematician.  If you're willing to put in a little time reading him, you'll find that he's hilarious :3
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 50