Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58190 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #390 on: February 06, 2013, 03:39:24 pm »

10/100
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 07, 2013, 12:15:02 am »

A Memory of Light
Robert Jordan
6/2/13

It's nice to finally have an ending, and damn me if it didn't manage to exceed my expectations.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 07, 2013, 12:25:34 am »

Book 10 is finished. The Redemption of Althalus, by David and Leigh Eddings. A personal favorite of mine involving a thief, a bit of magic, goddesses, and a lot of trickery that I haven't read for quite a while comes in at 792 pages.

Spoiler: Books Finished (click to show/hide)
Total Pages: 4906
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 07, 2013, 07:54:31 pm »

And double post from me, but book 11 is finished as well now. I finally managed to get my hands on a copy of both Ghost Story and Cold Days by Jim Butcher yesterday and finished the first one earlier today. Ghost Story comes in at 598 pages, brining my total up to 5504 pages.

Total Pages: 5504

Being as a Triple-post would be pushing things a little far, I'm just going to append my next post onto the end of this one.

Book 12 is done. Cold Days, the sequel to my previous book and the latest in the Dresden Files series, comes in at 515 pages and one heck of a good story. I wasn't able to put it down from when I started several hours ago, and it's been an amazing ride.

Total Pages: 6019
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 01:06:13 am by i2amroy »
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 10, 2013, 02:40:38 am »

Spoiler: 6/52 completed (click to show/hide)

Animal Liberation is just...

157 pages. 157 pages of showing you how we treat animals is disgusting. After reading this book the only real reason I could have for supporting this abuse is sheer laziness. And I'm not that damn hypocritical.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 10, 2013, 12:13:59 pm »

Spoiler: 7/52 (click to show/hide)

A truly horribly written book that fails to be interesting and constantly throws into your face the opinion, that communists rule and the western world is a demon. It has different subplots that jump all over the place and the characters don't feel alive. It can get confusing during concentrated scenes and most of the actions done by the characters feel like they have absolutely no consequences, that they are there just to fluff up to book.

To summarize it, the book feels like empty communism propaganda.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 10, 2013, 03:35:25 pm »

Errrr . . . I'm not actually sure that I remember what all I've read so far this year.

I think that I'm at elevenish or so. I shoulda been writing them down as I went, I spose.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 10, 2013, 07:17:14 pm »

Finished The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King.
This series is shaping up to be pretty amazing. I'll have to check out the third book.

Spoiler: List of books (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 11, 2013, 01:10:50 pm »

Animal Liberation is just...

157 pages. 157 pages of showing you how we treat animals is disgusting. After reading this book the only real reason I could have for supporting this abuse is sheer laziness. And I'm not that damn hypocritical.
Keep in mind that:
1)That book was written in 1975. A lot has changed in what farmers are allowed/not allowed to do since then, and the general public has been made much more aware about the bad things and therefore they have been lessened immensely.
2)Just because some places have factory farms and whatnot doesn't mean the majority, or even many of them do. For example a while back there was that whole "horrible things in milk from hormone treated cows" thing, yet if you notice basically all the milk you see in the store says "from non-BST treated cows". Sure you can tell horror stories about the 1%, but that doesn't mean the other 99% is bad.
3)This is just me, but humans are designed to be omnivores. Look at out teeth, our diet requirements, and several other factors and it is a fairly obvious fact. As such some creature is going to have to die, so in my mind the point then becomes ensuring that the creature that you are eating lived and died as painlessly as possible becomes paramount. After all right now the methods we use on a lot of our meat is still less painful then the animals being say, mauled and killed by a mountain lion. Perspective of the whole thing instead of just the what the one viewpoint tells you is important, regardless of if you are reading news, propaganda, or anything really.

Sorry for that tangent, but I know exactly how hard it can be to handle a vegetarian diet that is healthy and includes everything a body needs, especially when you are also cooking for other people who are non-vegetarian, so I just wanted to try to save your parents from some work. :P

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 11, 2013, 02:39:35 pm »

Pretty much that. Granted, some horrific things still go on (factory farming), but if I re-read The Jungle I wouldn't take it as an accurate description of current conditions for the animals or workers. As for the issue of humans being omnivores, I'm fine eating meat so long as a) it didn't come from an animal which could be reasonably construed to be of near-human intelligence and b) it wasn't subjected to unnecessary pain. Non-sentient animals are still moral patients, ya know? You don't have to be a self-aware intelligence to feel pain.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 12, 2013, 02:43:45 am »

Spoiler: Digressions Ho! (click to show/hide)

Anyway...

Spoiler: 7/52 completed (click to show/hide)
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 12, 2013, 06:33:54 am »

There is a higher chance that you have chemicals in your vegetables than you do in your meat. You also need a resource of fat and protein. Also it seems that you live in USA, that means that the land you are living on was taken by force from it's native inhabitants. If the moral rightness of your food disturbs you, then the blood washed land that you call your own should disturb you even more as you are living on land that you call your own only because colonizers had more military might. A lot of buffalo were also needlessly killed by Americans in order to starve out the Indians.

As you can see, you can't mix morality into everything.

EDIT: The clothes you are wearing are also most likely made by sweatshop workers making nearly no money at all.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:35:35 am by vagel7 »
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 12, 2013, 12:00:52 pm »

New thread for this?

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 12, 2013, 12:14:18 pm »

New thread for this?

I agree that this should go to a new thread if we are to continue on this.

Well, you could actually move out of the country as soon as you can. Also you are not the one torturing animals, the workers there are. Which means that if by your standards you are free from what your ancestors did to native Americans, you are also free of the torturing animals part.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 12, 2013, 01:54:40 pm »

I agree that this should go to a new thread if we are to continue on this.

Debate club, ABSCOND
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 50