Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58194 times)

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #360 on: January 30, 2013, 04:28:12 am »

I finished another book (only three read so far ! I am getting behind on my schedule !). Ondine, by the same guy. I had a fourth book of  him that I wanted to read, but I'll probably just put it aside and read something else instead. Like ancient greek tragedies, perhaps.

Spoiler: the list (click to show/hide)

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 30, 2013, 08:22:00 am »

Finished HERO OF THE IMPERIUM. A fine compendium. Next up, I'm going to try to read DEFENDER OF THE IMPERIUM (also featuring Ciaphas Cain) and Withur We. Withur We actually has a free pdf version, so I'll be reading through it with my laptop.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 30, 2013, 10:08:48 am »

I finished Just One Look from Harlan Coben. Pretty nice book overall, just what I like in my books: a bit of action, not too much romantic stuff, a good plot and a tadbit of surrealism. Next up is another one from Harlan Coben, after that I'll probably try to get my hands on a discworld book. The first one I guess?

E: My local library is my only source for these books, and they seem to have ONLY Witches Abroad. Yay for my local library, the tiny book store that sells only well-known and recent books and the lack of any second-hand book stores!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 10:11:05 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 30, 2013, 02:45:58 pm »

Not been reading much over the last few weeks. A couple of fics, some half-finished books. Thinking of starting the Wheel of Time series.

Spoiler:  14/100 (click to show/hide)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #364 on: January 30, 2013, 02:57:25 pm »

Spoiler: That's 8 down now. (click to show/hide)

Neverwhere is my favorite book of all time. I lost count of how many times I've read it. 8? 9? Something like that. First time was in high school, maybe 12 years ago. The way I feel about this book is how English literature professors seem to feel about Shakespeare. Every word and phrase is finely crafted. Passages get stuck in my head and pop out to say hello at the oddest times. And the world he creates makes sense in a way reality never has. Just like my dreams, where the universe is created around my own perception.

I hadn't read the book in a few years. Lent it to a friend 2 years ago, who read half of it then told me he wasn't impressed (a sentiment I still can't comprehend) and he'd finish it "soon." A week ago I told him if he wasn't going to finish it then he should just give it back because I missed it and I wanted to read it again. I don't even really need to read it at this point - I have much of it memorized verbatim - but I wanted to anyway. I held it in my hands, careful about the cover which is coming off the spine of the book (need to glue that back on someday, "perfect binding" nonsense), and got pins and needles over my whole body. I felt high. I had my book back.

I took my time with it this time. Took me 3 whole days to read it.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 30, 2013, 03:33:39 pm »

Finished Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. It's pretty great! I really like Philip K. Dick's very light and flowing style of writing, I get lost in thought very easily. And, as always, great characterization and a surreal plot. I recommend it.

Spoiler: List of books (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 30, 2013, 04:58:38 pm »

Just finished The Dunwhich Horror, definitely my favourite of the six short stories I have read so far.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 30, 2013, 07:44:39 pm »

Not been reading much over the last few weeks. A couple of fics, some half-finished books. Thinking of starting the Wheel of Time series.
If you do, I (and everyone else) recommend skipping book ten. The first three are good, the next six are given varying opinions, the tenth is, well, quite frankly terrible, the eleventh is in the same boat as 4-9, and the Sanderson ones are good.

Though really, this post is just an excuse (however valid) to post this: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1IF16DWWMC0CU/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0812571339&nodeID=283155&store=books

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #368 on: January 30, 2013, 07:51:40 pm »

Finished Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. It's pretty great! I really like Philip K. Dick's very light and flowing style of writing, I get lost in thought very easily. And, as always, great characterization and a surreal plot. I recommend it.
I find your reasoning very specious. How much Dick have you read, because I find the idea you've read a lot rather... specious. :p

Seriously though, he uses that word like six times in that book. I dunno, I've read more than a dozen of his books and there are only a couple I enjoyed less than Flow My Tears. In fact, I actually love Dowland too, so I'm not really sure what went on there. I found his ideas somewhat harder to follow than his other books, Taverner somewhat less sympathetic than his other protagonists (maybe even less than Asher from The Divine Invasion?), and his writing more repetitive. The Taverner might just be because of his being a rich and famous actor as well as a super special Six, because Dick's protagonists tended to all be the same. I've just never understood why that receives so much praise when the inventive and energetic Now Wait for Last Year hardly ever gets mentioned.

That reminds me that I still need to read Ubik and The Man in the High Castle though. There's really no excuse for not having read those when I've read Our Friends from Frolix 8...
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 30, 2013, 08:19:44 pm »

Continuing my trend of spending personal leisure time reading for fun rather than education...

For the Emperor
Sandy Mitchell
30/1/13

It's Cain, what else needs to be said?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 30, 2013, 09:06:49 pm »

I find your reasoning very specious. How much Dick have you read, because I find the idea you've read a lot rather... specious. :p
Well, I never said that I read much Dick, did I :p
So far only Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and The Man in the High Castle, but I really liked Dick's style so I decided to pick up some more this year, starting with Flow my Tears.

[...]the inventive and energetic Now Wait for Last Year hardly ever gets mentioned[...]
And there is the next one! Thanks!
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 30, 2013, 09:48:08 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All were pretty good, though I can see a lot of things that most consider bad writing nowadays in Conan. Still it was good and violent and all that jazz.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 30, 2013, 10:05:11 pm »

Spoiler: 5/52 completed (click to show/hide)
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 31, 2013, 07:37:12 am »

How is Dune? I half read it at one point, but i think it could bear my interest. Also, i thought you might be interested in hearing about the long war, the sequel to the the long earth. It will be out in June.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 31, 2013, 09:17:09 am »

If you do, I (and everyone else) recommend skipping book ten. The first three are good, the next six are given varying opinions, the tenth is, well, quite frankly terrible, the eleventh is in the same boat as 4-9, and the Sanderson ones are good.

Though really, this post is just an excuse (however valid) to post this: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1IF16DWWMC0CU/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0812571339&nodeID=283155&store=books

Ugh, I hate seasonal rot. :( Funny review.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 50