Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58123 times)

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #135 on: December 27, 2012, 12:30:40 am »

Reading The Unincorporated Future right now. I sure wouldn't have known it from the first book, but by this point the authors have managed to outdo Battle Royale in terms of main character death.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 27, 2012, 11:14:10 pm »

I am signing up for this. See how quickly I drop out. 52 books is my goal, though I doubt I'll meet it.
Starting with The Lord of the Rings, in three parts. The Singularity is Near is also on the list, as are the Malazan books.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 28, 2012, 11:47:00 am »

I'm gonna do this mostly unplanned, and while I'm at it, I will do more than just read them. I'll graph them.

Like this: http://xkcd.com/657/large/

I plan on doing it for every book I read. Let's see how it goes.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 28, 2012, 12:12:43 pm »

Finished off Clive Barker's The Hell-bound Heart a couple of weeks ago. It's the inspiration for the Hellraiser series. Good little yarn, rather different focus than the series.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2012, 03:53:10 pm »

I'm gonna do this mostly unplanned, and while I'm at it, I will do more than just read them. I'll graph them.

I'm working on that for a Song of Ice and Fire... Best way to do it is to read through the book and note every time a character being at a location at a specific time occurs. Then go back over your parsed list.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 29, 2012, 12:38:31 pm »

I claim this here for my booklist, when I get it together.

1)  Surrender, Appeasing Islam, Sacrificing Freedom :Bruce Bawer
    *Before somebody gets all omg u hateful monsterz on me, I figure I'd best get an opposing viewpoint on it, and its supposed to be written by a sensible man.  A gay man, which apparently makes him appreciate equality, according to reviews.

Spoiler: Review, Half Read (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: read the rest (click to show/hide)

2) Dune :Frank Herbert
   *Never read the original, believe it or not.  Figure the whole bloody series is too long, but thw original. . .

Spoiler: Review (click to show/hide)

3) The Portable Plato. . .
   * Cuz a more in-depth refresher makes me happy!  I enjoy the simplicity of the 'portable' series anywho.  I don't suppose somebody has a recommendation for this?

Cross off Plato :(

3) What Money Can't Buy : Michael Sandel
A book about the ethics of the market and America's [the west in general] new fervor for it.  Read one chapter already, and it appears to be liberal.  Appears he is dissatisfied with the idea that the affluent (never said rich as of yet, been avoiding that word) can simply purchause what others cannot, amoung other things.

4)  Leverage : Karl denninger
   A fun little book by Karl Denninger, a.k.a.  the 'founder of the Tea Party'.  I believe he discusses the issue with our economy and its leveraging system.  Did you know we [our top companies] make most of our money off of interest and levies?

5) The Decline of the West :Oswald Spengler
  *I happen to be a fan of German philosophy.  Some of the best and worst of human nature has come out through the works of the Germans  I am excited to read this book and learn of an author I previously only experienced when others mentioned him.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 01:54:03 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 29, 2012, 01:12:32 pm »

omg u hateful monsterz! >:[

I'm working on that for a Song of Ice and Fire... Best way to do it is to read through the book and note every time a character being at a location at a specific time occurs. Then go back over your parsed list.

I'd be very interested in that graph if you ever finish it :D

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 29, 2012, 01:25:40 pm »

Must remember to save some of the ol' Christmas money to buy books. There tends to be a lot of good deals on used books on Amazon straight after the holidays, what with people returning them etc.

I should get a kindle... but you don't get that smell of paper. Hmm..

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 29, 2012, 01:36:46 pm »

Hunt down used book stores, find your local thrift shops. When you include shipping, it's really hard for online purchased books to beat local deals.

I've found places that'd give out paperbacks for a quarter, which were just... I had to restrain myself, y'know? Sometimes. Other times I just bought the place out of books I'd read in one go. I've came away from book hunts with twenty, thirty books before... and spent less than twenty bucks in the process. It's wunnerful *teary eyes*

Though yeah, finding something you'd actually be willing to read in the mess those places tend to be can be difficult. But the hunt is half the fun!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 29, 2012, 02:18:16 pm »

Sure, I'll do this.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #145 on: December 29, 2012, 02:30:13 pm »

I should get a kindle... but you don't get that smell of paper. Hmm..
But you can email books to yourself.

Like get this, you can be just sitting at your computer, then see a book you like and be emailing it to like mynamehere@kindle.com and suddenly BAM! book be on yo' kindle all up in dis shit.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 30, 2012, 01:41:55 am »

Tell you what, it's a shame children's books don't count. I oughta get special credit for reading my daughter bedtime stories every night.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 30, 2012, 12:31:10 pm »

Read her Lovecraft?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 30, 2012, 12:47:20 pm »

But you can email books to yourself.

Like get this, you can be just sitting at your computer, then see a book you like and be emailing it to like mynamehere@kindle.com and suddenly BAM! book be on yo' kindle all up in dis shit.

Wild.  :o

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 30, 2012, 10:29:58 pm »

What the hell, I'll jump in on this. My current reading list is deep (a few series I've been meaning to try but never started before), so hopefully this will help clear that backlog.

My current fiction list, taken from my floor and Calibre library;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There are a few others I can think of that still need acquiring, plus a handful of non-fiction that I can't be bothered to list yet.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 50