Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58132 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2012, 06:54:22 pm »

those.  my apologies.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2012, 06:59:55 pm »

Checked the book, it consists of Inferno, Purgatorio, and Paradiso.
Wait, wouldn't that count as three books? :D

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2012, 08:21:38 pm »

You could count it as three books. It's more of a poem in three parts.
(For English) I recommend the translation by John Ciardi, if you can get it. In the original, all three lines of each stanza rhymed; Ciardi gets the first and last to rhyme. He includes fairly frequent explanations of the translation of some originally ambiguous phrases, as well as explaining all historical references. A thoroughly enjoyable read in my opinion, though I only got near the end of Inferno. Also, it has a few map-like charts that make it a bit easier to follow along.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2012, 12:51:10 am »

I think I achieved this for 2012 by accident....
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2012, 04:57:08 am »

The Divine Comedy is 3 separate books: Inferno, Purgatorio, Paradiso. I myself liked Inferno the most content wise, but Purgatorio was more lyrical while Paradiso was very moral. I have the Oxford one and it comes with a very large section of notes and a biography of Dante.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2012, 04:58:08 am »

I'm totally in. Will update later with a list.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2012, 05:26:04 am »

Why 1954? That leaves out so many great authors, like Burroughs, Murakami, McCarthy, Joy Williams, Ron Rash, Eco. The list goes on.

Anyway, I always thought the idea of a canon was more for academic use than anything real or substantial. It can be a good rough guide, but it's inevitably missing a lot of worthwhile stuff, depending on your tastes.
1954 was chosen because in my country that's the year before which everything is public domain. There's plenty of great modern works of literature too (and I've read many of them) but I think for this challenge I'll have a crack through the top 500 list on Project Gutenburg. It also means if I finish early I can work towards more.

I got my first two books for the first two weeks; Homer's the Iliad and the Odyssey. Technically they're both collections of books so I don't know how feasible or in general how that'll work. Worth a shot though.
Do it. I dare you. But by Zeus, you'd better finish the Iliad's Catalogue of Ships or you can't count it.
Catalogue of Ships

I read the Iliad years ago. I reread it a few months ago. Still some of the best insults and gore of all time. It would make an awesome movie if you're stoned (Achilles vs. the river Xanthus? Primo trip material right there folks [I do not count Troy, it was a butchery of the story]). But the Catalogue of Ships will reduce you to tears. Even Homer himself prays to the muses for strength before he starts it. Boring doesn't begin to describe this part.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 05:27:48 am by Jimmy »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #127 on: December 21, 2012, 07:13:11 pm »

I got my first two books for the first two weeks; Homer's the Iliad and the Odyssey. Technically they're both collections of books so I don't know how feasible or in general how that'll work. Worth a shot though.
Do it. I dare you. But by Zeus, you'd better finish the Iliad's Catalogue of Ships or you can't count it.
Catalogue of Ships

I read the Iliad years ago. I reread it a few months ago. Still some of the best insults and gore of all time. It would make an awesome movie if you're stoned (Achilles vs. the river Xanthus? Primo trip material right there folks [I do not count Troy, it was a butchery of the story]). But the Catalogue of Ships will reduce you to tears. Even Homer himself prays to the muses for strength before he starts it. Boring doesn't begin to describe this part.
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 22, 2012, 06:59:54 am »

Alright, I want to try this. I won't be able to read a book every week, that much is sure, but i can probably read 1 or two books a month. This means anywhere between 12 24, probably around 20. My plan is to read books that i hear everybody say good things about, but that i haven't read myself because I'm 13.

Any suggestions? I tought of these books so far:
1. The hobbit
2. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
3. Discworld novels (?)

I'll probably fill this up with some other books, like a few steampunk books i found and that looked moderately intresting, some detective thrillers (Harlan Coben, most likely), etc.

My main problem is really that everything that i want to read in the local library always seems to be gone, and we have only a few book stores, none of wich are second-hand. (Aka, i can only get new books from them.)

E: But i just read that Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is about... 10 books? And that some of them overlap? So yeah, i need some advice.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 07:02:11 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 22, 2012, 09:43:13 am »

Miauw, if you want to read some actual Flemish literature, I can suggest Cheese (Kaas). Very small and an actually fun to read book. Will save you some time a few years from now as well ;)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 09:46:40 am by Dutchling »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 22, 2012, 09:52:54 am »

Sure, i'll check it out.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #131 on: December 22, 2012, 03:24:23 pm »

1954 was chosen because in my country that's the year before which everything is public domain.
What country do you live in? Because that sounds like a paradise.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 22, 2012, 04:38:08 pm »

Miauw, I would suggest the James Bond books. They are very entertaining books and quick reads. They are also well written, they aren't filled as much action as the movies are, if that's what you're expecting.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 22, 2012, 05:10:39 pm »

Any suggestions?
Try to find out which of your favorite movies are based on novels. In my experience, books are usually more enjoyable than their spin-off movies.

E: But i just read that Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is about... 10 books? And that some of them overlap? So yeah, i need some advice.
It's a trilogy, but it contains five books. The first three are great, the fourth and fifth a little worse, but still enjoyable. After Douglas Adams' death, one more book was written by Eion Colfer and released as part of the series, but I didn't read it.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2012, 05:20:47 pm »

And Another Thing... is pretty good, though admittedly I'm an Eoin Colfer fanboy. I hated Mostly Harmless, and I thought AAT was the ending the series actually deserved.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 50