Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58116 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #585 on: June 24, 2013, 03:26:07 pm »

And the first book of my great re-read finishes. The Eye of the World, by Robert Jordan is the first book in the Wheel of Time series, and the first of the many that I need to reread before I read the final one.

Spoiler: Books Finished 27/52 (click to show/hide)
Total Pages: 12,135

Two more books in my reread also go down, The Great Hunt and The Dragon Reborn, books 2 and 3 of the Wheel of Time series are now finished.

Spoiler: Books Finished 29/52 (click to show/hide)
Total Pages: 13,489
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 12:23:18 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 01, 2013, 02:18:00 pm »

I finished The Forest of Hands and Teeth a bit ago. Its reading was entirely validated by the line "I was already dead." If not for that, I would have questioned its worth. An easy read, at any rate.

Finished Looking for Alaska today. Read over half of it immediately after waking up. Threw it across the room when I finished it.

Spoiler: 9 (click to show/hide)

I feel like I'm forgetting books, but I - of course - don't recall doing so.
9 is miserably behind schedule, but better than I expected.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #587 on: July 03, 2013, 06:58:58 am »

Spoiler: 1 through 23 (click to show/hide)

24: Children of Dune (Frank Herbert)

I know it's not generally the most popular Dune book, but I have to say I think I liked this one even more than the first book. Probably something to do with identifying with the characters (the twins) more than I identified with Paul in the first one. A few parts near the end seemed a bit sudden and rushed (after most of the book was fairly slow-moving) but I'm satisfied with the ending. I vaguely remember what happens next, in God Emperor of Dune, and I'm actually looking forward to reading it.

In fact, I'm curious why most people only like the first book. For sure the much later books lost something and became quite repetitive, but I don't think that's the case in Children. I suppose some people might not like how the story becomes more fantastic with time - more mystical, I suppose. But these new elements are all given what seem to me to be realistic "scientific" explanations in the context of the story, so it doesn't bother me.

Total pages read: 7285

By the way, how many weeks in are we? I feel like I'm falling behind... Reading Children of Dune took forever because it was the last few weeks of the school year and it was really stressful and hectic. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up the pace now.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 07, 2013, 03:30:15 am »

Spoiler: 23/52 completed (click to show/hide)
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 07, 2013, 06:43:55 am »

Look To Windward
Iain M Banks
369 words
Hrk

:v

I need to read some of those book, to keep up with the rest of you again :P

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 07, 2013, 07:02:03 pm »

Spoiler: 25/52 (click to show/hide)

If you're wondering why I read 215k words of something terrible, it's because I started it late at night and didn't realize how much I hated it until I was about 8 chapters from the end, and then I decided that I might as well finish and get another entry up in here.

Anyway, I should have some more here soon.  I've really fallen behind.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 12:06:35 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 08, 2013, 09:28:55 am »

Started reading Heart of Darkness. I kinda want to catch up on books this holiday, which means I need to read 2.75 books a week for the next seven weeks :v

At least I'll get my creditcard soon so I can order books from Amazon.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 09, 2013, 05:48:00 am »

Finished Heart of Darkness. book #15.

I thought the Darkness was going to be the horrors of colonialism in the Kongo, but it ended up being the soul of a single man. It was still a very good book, just not what I expected it to be.

5/5

edit: I have to wait a while to get some more books I really want to read, so I'll have to do with whatever my mom has for now :/. Started reading The Red Room, by Nicci French.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 05:59:35 am by Dutchling »

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 10, 2013, 07:15:30 pm »

That certainly did not need to take three weeks. Finished Joe Abercrombie's The Heroes, and I think I'll have to check out some of his other writing sometimes. Really good work, depicting medieval-type warfare in a fantasy world. Basically, there are no heroes in war, and victory brings very little to either side. Unless you're a wizard.

Oh, and I have a new favourite character now. Pretty sure some anime accidentally dropped him into the novel without realizing it.

Spoiler: 5/40 (click to show/hide)

On to...I dunno. I suppose I never did finish the Warriors series...
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #594 on: July 11, 2013, 09:47:43 am »

Spoiler: 1 through 24 (click to show/hide)

Book 25: God Emperor of Dune
I really don't understand why people don't like the later books in the Dune series. This one might be my favorite.

Overall I rate this book very highly.

Total pages: 7708

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #595 on: July 14, 2013, 05:17:32 am »

Spoiler: 1 through 25 (click to show/hide)

Book 26: Little Brother (Cory Doctorow)

I got this book as part of the Humble Ebook Bundle (still going on). I don't have an e-reading device so I  had to read it on the computer, but that turned out not to be a big problem because I flew through it pretty quickly.

I don't want to spoil this one. I do recommend it, particularly to anyone interested in the current state of American government, security, and freedom. It's set in the near future where privacy is going out of style and some teenagers just want to take back their country. Some parts of it were painful for me to read because they rang so true, but I enjoyed reading it anyway. I think the Humble Bundle is worth getting just for this book. (We'll see how the others hold up once I get around to them.)

It's definitely a quick read. At this rate I might catch back up and manage the 52 books after all...

Total pages read: 8090

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 14, 2013, 02:39:00 pm »

I read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Nihilism: The Space Adventure.
It was worth reading, but I wasn't crazy about it.

Spoiler: 10 (click to show/hide)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 15, 2013, 11:07:10 am »

Stopped reading Five Weeks in a Balloon, as it felt like reading the little brother of Around the World in Eighty Days. This would be a good thing if I were still twelve years old, but I'm not and I realized reading Jules Verne is a chore rather than something I actually enjoy doing :/.

Finished book #16, The Red Room (unless the translator changed the title). It was okayish. Lame main character, stupid plot, but a very enjoyably way of writing. 3/5

Started reading The Lord of the Rings, which seems to consist of six book, not three. This makes catching up in books a lot easier :P

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 15, 2013, 12:02:36 pm »

I don't know how many I have anymore. Either way, I finished the color of magic and I can't wait to get my hands on another discworld book. First English book too.

I've started Lord of the Rings, which will probably take me a while.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 15, 2013, 02:03:02 pm »

Technically, The Lord of the Rings is one book that's usually broken up.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 50