Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58124 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #570 on: June 09, 2013, 12:45:17 pm »

Ian Banks has died today. I am here to recommend his last book the quarry, releasing on 20th June. It is a book about the last weeks in the life of a 40 year old diagnosed with cancer, mostly written before he was diagnosed with "no inkling" of the fact. Thank you Ian.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 12, 2013, 10:29:24 pm »

Gormenghast. Complete. Amazing. Just...amazing. Every detail in this book felt as though of significant purpose. Every action of seemingly immense consequence. I don't know if there's much I can say. It's beautiful. Just read this series, you will be doing yourself a favour.

Spoiler: 4/40 (click to show/hide)

While I wait for my next book to show up in the library, I'll be continuing Paul Lockhart's Measurement, but I don't expect to really finish that any time soon. I'm currently fighting with similarity and characteristics of polygons, and getting nowhere especially quickly.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 13, 2013, 03:21:16 am »

Finished book #11, Dracula. I'm 99%sure I already posted that here, but apparently not o.O

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 13, 2013, 12:31:31 pm »

Started reading Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrel. Awesome and hilarious so far :D.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 14, 2013, 06:44:43 am »

Well, I'm a little bit behind my schedule. Just finished book #2 : Rome I - Imperium by Robert Harris. This one was a re-read, because I borrowed the second part from a library and wanted to refresh my memory. Still as good as I remember it being.

The series a (two parts have been published, third is planned) fake biography of Cicero, a roman senator during the times of fall of Roman Republic (that is it becoming a dictatorship, the Roman Empire), written from the perspective of his slave scribe Tiro, who is in friendly terms with his owner (who often even asks his advice on political matters) and who really did write biography of his former owner after his death, but it was lost during the fall of Roman Empire. The book is mostly based on history with some made up stuff. All the major events and character are historical though.

Spoiler: Books read - 2/52 (click to show/hide)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: June 18, 2013, 04:00:48 pm »

Just finished Brandon Sanderson's new book, The Rithmatist, and I must say that it was excellent. So far this is the first book of his that I've read (with the exceptions of the Wheel of time books he co-authored) and I must say that his style is magnificent. I highly look forward to such time as when the sequel to The Rithmatist comes out.

Spoiler: Books Finished 25/52 (click to show/hide)
Total Pages: 11,011
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: June 18, 2013, 04:02:37 pm »

Also started Around the world in 80 days. I have read it twice before but I could only remember the ending, so there it has to be read again :D

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: June 20, 2013, 12:15:58 pm »

Finished the second book on Rome series mentioned in my previous post.

Spoiler: Books read - 3/52 (click to show/hide)

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: June 20, 2013, 02:57:28 pm »

Finally got the book I've been waiting for from the library...in foresight I probably could've read one of my books while I waited. Ah well, I learned some mathematics instead.

I've been thinking that maybe some books less than 500 pages would be nice, right? 600 page book, ahoy!
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: June 21, 2013, 06:35:05 pm »

Finished Around the world in 80 days. It was an okay book. Nothing special but nothing bad either. 3 out of 5.

Also started reading The fault in our stars.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: June 21, 2013, 08:50:19 pm »

And book 26 goes down! World War Z, by Max Brooks, was certainly an interesting tale. The narrative format really reminded me of some of Kurt Vonnegut's books. All in all it was a fairly nice read, though it doesn't classify in my personal favorite books list.

Spoiler: Books Finished 26/52 (click to show/hide)
Total Pages: 11,353
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 22, 2013, 12:41:40 am »

I forgot to read for months.

Just finished two books, though. The first being General William Sherman's Memoirs, the second, Team of Rivals. The book about lincoln. Reading the two at the same time was interesting, as there were at least a couple occasions where Goodwin used the memoirs as a source. One occasion in particular I noticed because the quote she used was written like it was a direct quote from a conversation, while in his memoirs, it's not. Sherman was writing a brief summary of what he meant when he and Lincoln spoke, several decades after the fact.

Nothing profound, it was just fun to notice the connections between a general history and one of the primary sources.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: June 22, 2013, 02:50:04 pm »

Finished The Fault In Our Stars.

Fuck. That was a good book. Many tears were shed ;_;

5/5

Damn you, John Green. Damn you.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: June 22, 2013, 02:54:42 pm »

I'm caught in a short story trap right now. Only two full books since my last update;
Spoiler: 27 down (click to show/hide)
Finishing the last Seanan McGuire short stories now and will be moving onto that anthology I bought the other day. I'm still giving away one copy of that one by the way.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 02:56:32 pm by palsch »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 23, 2013, 11:59:08 am »

Finished book #14: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel, by Susanna Clark.

Awesome book. The plot and the end aren't that good, but most of the book is about, well.. the setting and characters instead of the plot. It's kinda like Harry Potter where you have seven books about an awesome school, which keep having a really lame ending and 'plot'.

5/5.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 50