Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58128 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #555 on: May 21, 2013, 11:53:17 am »

Just going to toss my hat into the "Don't read any Dune novels except the original" pool. I was able to tolerate the prequel trilogy because they were set so long ago within the verse that they were effectively an independent series, and thus not total shit. Messiah and Children were both cast aside.

Geez, I really haven't been keeping up with this. Let's see, rough date estimates here:

The Elfstones of Shannara
Terry Brooks
28/4/13

Same problems as the first: the writing is somewhat uninvolved and feels like a write-up of a campaign more than a novel.

The Taming of the Shrew
Shakespeare
4/5/13

Thankfully someone got word to me that "shrew" was, in that time, a much more gender-neutral term. That makes the whole affair more interesting, certainly.

Dauntless
Allora Gale
9/5/13

Reread it to catch up with new chapters. Of which it now has 94. ~650,000 words of well-written For Want of a Nail Code Geass AU. My goodness, I love this fic. The characterizations are good, there is some quality worldbuilding, there are OCs which have significant roles while fitting perfectly into the cast and world, and the author manages to put the plot together in a way which retains the same themes as canon while events falling out in a drastically different way. It's difficult to overstate how much I enjoy this.

An Entry With a Bang
Various authors
985 pages
17/5/13

It's a round-robin crossover fic that drops Earth and a perfect 100ly sphere of space around it into the Periphery of the Battletech verse. Not just any Earth, though, it's the Earth of the Clancyverse. Being a round-robin fic, some of the authors are decidedly better than others. One or two I skip over entirely, either because of the poor technical quality or their style. Some of it is mediocre. Some of it is golden. I went into it with minimal knowledge of Clancy's work and only a slight bit of knowledge about Battletech and I had no trouble with it.

The Excalibur Alternative
David Weber
20/5/13

It's cheesy, it's Weber, but I still read it. The premise is amusing and the execution is competent, but it is, of course, very light reading. I'm tempted to dig into something meatier to follow, but with unpredictable, sleep-depriving work scheduling, I'm not sure I'll have the energy.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #556 on: May 22, 2013, 12:13:23 pm »

Science of Discworld? That does not sound like real science :P

edit: I think (once I have some more monnies) I will start on the Dawkins book you suggested and the Hawking ones.

I have the second Science of Discworld book. I've tried to read it on about five different occasions and could never get very far. The chapters alternate between a Discworld story and some interesting philosophical science bits. The science parts are interesting, but compared to the easy, fun reading of Discworld, they were so dense and difficult to read that I just got bored and tossed it aside.

My favorite science books were always the ones written by Isaac Asimov. I can't remember any specific ones, but there's loads of them. I used to borrow them from my physics teacher in high school. They are enlightening, informative, thought-provoking, often funny, and easy to read even if you're not an expert in the field.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: May 22, 2013, 02:11:00 pm »

Finished my twelfth book, "L'Or" (the gold) by Blaise Cendrars. It's about Sutter and the californian gold rush. It wasn't a very interesting read ; it's plain, neither good nor bad. It had a strange organisation, full of little paragraphs, and I finished it fast.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 25, 2013, 10:00:17 am »

A Call to Arms
Alan Dean Foster
25/5/13

I have to say, it was a challenge finding a copy that wasn't half-destroyed by time and misuse.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 25, 2013, 01:34:08 pm »

So I started reading a random Stephen King novel I had lying around (my brother gave me  bunch of them a while ago).

Butthuggers ;_;
Do not want

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 26, 2013, 07:41:04 am »

I finished Black Out, which is an originally german book about hackers that take down the electricity network. I bought it with the anticipation of being able to be annoyed over ridiculous hacker things that can't actually happen, but holy shit I was very pleasantly surprised. This guy did his research EXTREMELY well. Overall a really nice book.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 27, 2013, 09:07:31 pm »

Spoiler: 20/52 completed (click to show/hide)

Finished The Monkey Wrench Gang and I reread Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

I really need to read faster.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 29, 2013, 06:51:24 am »

Spoiler: 16/52 (click to show/hide)

Currently reading "You only live twice" by Ian Fleming. I am 5 books behind, gotta catch up.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 29, 2013, 05:30:59 pm »

Finished reading book #10, Dreamcatcher by Stephen King.

/spoilers/

I really liked the beginning, story was intense as fuck, especially compared to Lovecraft. About halfway through it got really lame and as generic as it gets. The ending was absolutely unnecessary (we gotta save the world!) and was more a distraction than something interesting/thrilling. I give it a 3 out of 5. Would recommend it if you're bored and don't have any better books.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 29, 2013, 10:33:03 pm »

I got four books for my birthday, all of which are supposed to be good, so I'll actually get around to reading something!

No, I haven't finished Mrs. Dalloway. I was 2/3 - 3/4 finished when I graduated, having to return it to the school library. My reading ability greatly diminishes during school breaks, so I haven't even tried picking it back up. Maybe after these four. It is a good book. Poor Septimus :(

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #565 on: May 31, 2013, 12:15:05 pm »

Spoiler: 1-21 (click to show/hide)

#22: Dune by Frank Herbert. Not much to say that hasn't already been said. It's a classic for a reason and even rather inspirational at times. I know many people aren't fans of the rest of the series, but I'm going to go ahead and re-read Messiah next. It's been ages since I've read these books and I've missed them!

Total Pages: 6598

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 01, 2013, 12:19:09 am »

And my Terry Pratchett binge finally comes to an end as I run out of books from him to read. Mort comes in at 243 pages and covered most of my 5 hour ride to the Grand Canyon campground. I must say it ranks as one of my most enjoyable Discworld novels so far, and the usage of SMALL CAPS as the characters changed was very interesting.

Spoiler: Books Finished 24/52 (click to show/hide)
Total Pages: 10,641
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #567 on: June 05, 2013, 02:51:21 pm »

Spoiler: 1 through 22 (click to show/hide)

#23: Dune Messiah. Though it's not as great as the first book, I still enjoyed it and don't find it the disappointment that others seem to. Reading Children of Dune next, gonna see how far into the series I can get without losing interest. I've got 8 Dune books on the shelf.

Pages: 6877

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 09, 2013, 09:10:42 am »

Bleh, I am dragging behind...still digging my way through Gormenghast, but there is no way for me to read it quickly without losing most of the detail. It might also help to read something less than 500 pages. And spend less time blowing up rockets in space and more time reading.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: June 09, 2013, 11:23:53 am »

Yeah... I'm halfway through something like five books, and having a hard time bringing myself to finish any of them.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 50