Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58175 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #405 on: February 13, 2013, 05:05:12 am »

Just got back from 4 days in Switzerland. I spent many hours hiking and sledding and getting way more exercise than ever, and the rest of the time sitting quietly and reading books borrowed from the friend I was reading. My list has nearly doubled in length. I'm up to 15 now.

And the new ones, with thoughts on each:

Now I have a pile of old books I haven't touched in 4 years, retrieved from my friend's place in Switzerland, and I'm looking forward to remembering all the stories I'd forgotten about. I should be well-supplied for a while.

Total pages so far: 4307

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 15, 2013, 05:01:09 am »

I wanted to read nothing but theater for this challenge, but that only lasted three books. Bleh. I have a pile of other books on my desk, and I've been reading that instead.

I finished a book about Gustave Doré's paintings. I knew him for his illustrations (he did a lot of them, the most notable being the ones he did for Dante's Inferno) and I've never been able to see what paintings he did until now. He's very good. The book itself has been written by a collection of art historians, and was probably edited for an exposition or something. It was a bit repetitive some times, but it gave a clear outline of his life and his works.

So that's five books. Forty eight to go !

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit : whoops, I forgot one book in the list. I should note them on a paper somewhere.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 12:20:07 pm by Ancre »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 15, 2013, 11:16:47 am »

I'm an idiot. I'm a college kid with a shortage of time and a stack of massive books I wanted to read. I've made no progress in over a month and such volumes as the Critique of Pure Reason are staring at me with their hundreds and hundreds of pages.

On the bright side, all those books will be interesting some day.

You're not the only one :P

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #408 on: February 17, 2013, 04:10:07 pm »

Looks like people are slowing down. I just finished re-reading Haruki Murakami's Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. When I finished Neverwhere in high school and wrote an essay on it for my English class, my teacher presented me with this book as a gift (for having read the most books out of all the students in the class), saying she was sure I would appreciate it. She was right. I've since read quite a few Murakami books, but not all of them yet. I'll have to find copies of some of his other novels soon. His surreal scenes and narratives feel very familiar. They make sense to me in a way the real world does not.

Spoiler: Up to 16 (click to show/hide)

Total Pages: 4707

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 17, 2013, 04:55:48 pm »

I suppose this is enough to count as a novella all together or something. A Midsummer Night's Dream, Romeo and Juliet, As You Like It, and Twelfth Night. All re-reads, of course, but I decided to go through a trio of comedies and a comedy pretending to be a tragedy to break things up.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #410 on: February 17, 2013, 07:51:13 pm »

I'm working on LOTR 2: Two Towers Boogaloo. When I'm done with that and Return of the King, I'm going to enjoy the much crunchier WWZ. Then maybe something else light and whatever else sounds good, then I'm going to start working on The Stand.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 18, 2013, 10:55:09 am »

Finished Blue Remembered Earth a few days ago. That's fifteen so far. I swear I'll start posting some more in depth thoughts. Revised list, including the ones currently on my phone to be read next (underlined means partway through).

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 18, 2013, 06:36:24 pm »

Spoiler: 8/52 completed (click to show/hide)
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 18, 2013, 10:59:22 pm »

I lost track of my reading, then I spent ages stuck on a book that I didn't really like. But I finished it

The book was a biography of Lucy Stone, fittingly titled "Lucy Stone: Speaking Out for Equality". I have a lot of residual interest in pre-war abolitionists, suffragists, etc, from a time when I wanted to get a history degree in that area, and I've been looking for a book on Stone for a while. And this one wasn't bad, it was just... frustrating.

There's a danger in biographies that the writer will end up sympathizing too much with their subject, and I think that happened here. The reasons behind the big split in the suffrage movement that happened after the civil war are kind of glossed over, and the fact that Stanton and Anthony might have had some legitimate criticism for Stone's approach to things isn't treated very well. Susan B. Anthony is practically written as a villain. It does focus on the outright racism that helped cause the split, though, which is something more books need to mention.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 19, 2013, 08:26:44 am »

Spoiler: 9/52 (click to show/hide)

I'm definitely going to be reading more of Pratchett. Mort was an excellently written comical fantasy. His style is something that i myself haven't encountered before.

EDIT:Also finished The Prince
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:07:57 pm by vagel7 »
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 21, 2013, 01:16:35 am »

Finished The Eye of the Heron by Ursula Le Guin. Very quick to read, but good, even when some of the ideas in it have fallen out of fashion.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 21, 2013, 03:35:17 am »

Been a while since I have updated so here is the updated list for me

* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 21, 2013, 10:59:49 am »

8/52
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 22, 2013, 02:49:22 pm »

Spoiler: 4/52 (click to show/hide)

Ringworld, A Moveable Feast, and Sula are all mostly done and just waiting for me to get off my ass and finish them.  I think I'll finish A Moveable Feast right now, actually.
Shoes...

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 22, 2013, 06:22:02 pm »

Finished Withur We. Cool story.

5/52
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 50