Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 50

Author Topic: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013  (Read 58186 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Bay12 - 52 books challenge 2013
« Reply #375 on: January 31, 2013, 02:57:58 pm »

I picked up The Rise of David Levinsky and a double from 1969, ancient as far as I'm concerned, especially since it's scifi.  The introduction to the first book, actually a collection of short storiesn talks about how the writer started out like many introverted and overintellectual teens, reading and loving scifi, then moving on to capital-L Literature, before returning disillusioned to scifi.  It's interesting because it fits me to a tee, and his book happens to be the first in my return.

The story itself is very good, and completely different from what I expected.  Given the medium, and the name, "Final War," I was expecting pulp military action and got a surreal, dreamy, often absurd story in the vein of Apocalypse Now or The Hurt Locker.  The story repeats, without much attention to strict chronology, three perspectives on the same story, of a company of soldiers fighting back and forth over a stretch of land.  While the basic story is the same, details are markedly different beyond what could be attributed to perspective, which helps to give it a hazy dreamlike feel.

Not counting it yet, though, I'll add it to my list when I finish the collection of stories.  Just putting down my thought about this old story nobody's heard of.
Shoes...

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 31, 2013, 05:54:48 pm »

Spoiler: 5/52 (click to show/hide)

Next up is a dual project, The Prince by Machiavelli and a book from the "Berti päevikud" series. The series is a fun collection of books about the life of a comedic teenager.

I must add, I definitely enjoy Tolstoi's style and will pick up another one of his books as soon as I can.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 31, 2013, 09:41:46 pm »

Spoiler:  So far: (click to show/hide)

The Way of Shadows was a reread which I enjoyed at least as much the second time around as the first, with a nice gritty, dark tone to it, and Ghostmaker was an excellent read, with great action and characterization in my opinion.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 31, 2013, 09:53:38 pm »

Caves of Ice
Sandy Mitchell
31/1/13

This is what happens when I have free time. Also, huzzah for palindrome dates!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 01, 2013, 11:54:32 am »

Spoiler: 3/52 (click to show/hide)

The collection of stories is pretty hit or miss.  For one, it's old as hell for science fiction; like I mentioned it was published in 1969 and some of the stories were written way before then.  Final War is probably the best, and there are a few other gems.  Some of them are referential, or parodies of magazines that I've never read, or just so old they're weird. 

EDIT:  Tried to read the other half of the double, a pulp novel called Treasure of Tau Ceti.  Can't do it.  It's so pulpy the pulp has pulp, and not in a good way.  It's bad, is what I'm trying to say; it reads like fanfiction.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 06:38:12 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 02, 2013, 02:16:20 am »

And book 7 is done. Rhapsody: Child of Blood comes in at 656 pages and is a fairly good book, plus it's been so long since I read it that I'm seeing all sorts of things I don't remember from the previous reading.

Spoiler: Books Finished (click to show/hide)
Total Pages: 3388
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 02, 2013, 02:30:24 pm »

Spoiler: 6/52 (click to show/hide)

I just love these books. They are these anecdotal stories of the life of an average teenage boy in Sweden. The stories come with all of the difficulties that a teenage boy experiences.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #382 on: February 03, 2013, 10:27:36 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
10 finished. I think I'll manage 52 in the year at this rate, unless I run out of books.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 03, 2013, 07:35:22 pm »

Book 8 falls. An Artificial Night comes in at 354 pages. It's an October Daye novel, which I believe somebody else in the thread said they were planning on reading, and so far the series has been better then I originally expected it to be. I guess I'm just a sucker for the investigative human+magic PI novels.

Total Pages: 3742
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #384 on: February 03, 2013, 09:04:11 pm »

It turns out my novel for the week was only 35,000 words. I'm going to count it though because although the story itself was shy, the book came with two introductions of at least 5000 words each, and because it's a bit late for me to read something else.

-- Week of Jan. 27th

The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole [7/10]
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 03, 2013, 10:45:30 pm »

I'd like to report finishing book number 9, having just been reading since my last post here. Late Eclipses, the sequel to my previous book is finished and comes in at 372 pages. Not bad for three and a half hours eh?

Total Pages: 4114

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 05, 2013, 05:23:00 am »

2/26

Kinda seems slow, but I'm switching several books simultaneously :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 05, 2013, 07:30:05 am »

Book 8 falls. An Artificial Night comes in at 354 pages. It's an October Daye novel, which I believe somebody else in the thread said they were planning on reading, and so far the series has been better then I originally expected it to be. I guess I'm just a sucker for the investigative human+magic PI novels.
Yeah, I read this series a couple of weeks back at about one a day. Not my genre at all, but I really enjoyed them. Then again, I already knew I liked the author and had heard a lot of good things about them.

Stalled a bit this last week. Really enjoying Blue Remembered Earth but just not finding as much time for books since I reinstalled Planetside 2.

Updated complete reading list;

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 06, 2013, 01:01:05 pm »

Finished another one, Belfast Confetti, by Ciaran Carson.

I read most of it while sick, so I don't really know what exactly I have read. I left it with a general impression of violence, miscomprehension and lack of communication, the author clearly talks about Belfast and the Troubles I guess. It looks like a good book. I should read it once more, when I can concentrate better.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 06, 2013, 02:06:17 pm »

3/52

Gardens of the moon by Steven Erikson

I really need to start reading some shorter books if I want to be able to finish this challenge

* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 50