Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: SPACE HULK - BATTLE BROTHERS, ASSEMBLE! "MOAR HULK" The Emperor Cried!  (Read 15980 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: SPACE HULK - BATTLE BROTHERS, ASSEMBLE!
« Reply #150 on: August 19, 2013, 01:43:59 pm »

Sounds like it's tips time! 

1.  Move fast at the start.  Often there's a critical point on the map that will make the game impossible or almost impossible if the genestealers can mass on it.  In Suicide Mission it's the entrance to the final corridor and the doorway to the left of that intersection.

2.  Blips can't enter a square a muhreen can see, and genestealers can't be revealed by the GS player on a square a muhreen can see (So a 3GS blip will only be a two, or a one if it's in a really bad spot).  Even putting a guy to just stare down a corridor with spawn points at the end can have a chilling effect on genestealers in that spot.

3.  Use move and fire to destroy doors.  Doors are 100% of the time a greater asset to the stealers than to the marines.

4.  Count the squares!  Blips can't move and reveal in the same turn, so if you count the squares (remember to take turning into account) and a stealer can't get to you, consider whether you really want to spend two AP overwatching this turn.  Also remember that you can reveal a stealer one square closer than the actual blip.  I've lost muhreens miscounting because of that.

5.  A flamer kills on 2+.  That means it's possible, but rare, to not kill a stealer.  Always try to place flamer templates so a surviving stealer will have to go through at least one more square of fire.  It really fucking sucks to lose a mission because a stealer just walked out of your flamer template and killed you.

Any other tips people can think of?
Shoes...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 19, 2013, 01:47:04 pm »

When making plans involving a Marine on overwatch, always assume that he'll be killed and have a backup plan accordingly. Sometimes you can't really do anything in that case, but it's a good habit to get into.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 19, 2013, 02:13:35 pm »

5.  A flamer kills on 2+.  That means it's possible, but rare, to not kill a stealer.  Always try to place flamer templates so a surviving stealer will have to go through at least one more square of fire.  It really fucking sucks to lose a mission because a stealer just walked out of your flamer template and killed you.
Haven't bought the game yet, but this was a nightmare in the board game. Didn't help that you could only flame sections at a time even if said section was only a single tile. I'd imagine flamers work more like 2nd edition or the old computer game?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 19, 2013, 02:16:05 pm »

I know partly what my mistake was, I had a Terminator overwatching the first corridor from the spawn. Had it all locked down, and when the Stealer's quit spawning, I moved him.

Well, the AI is smart enough that it exploited that decision, so I ended up making my rear vulnerable right at the time they were most needed to provide cover for my flamer.

Plus that series of intersections prior to the objective room just sucks. Without a full compliment of terminators covering every entrance, it's a race to get in there before you get surrounded and cut down.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 19, 2013, 08:03:55 pm »

Oh, another tip I remember from somewhere.

4 shots is the magic number for overwatch.  If the closest stealer has to take at least four shots to reach you, you're probably safe.  Any closer than that and it starts getting risky.

This is kind of an obvious one but I see people failing it quite a bit:  You're a spess murhen.  Don't lose your life, sell it hard.  You probably could have gotten away with leaving that terminator you mentioned at the first corridor the entire game.  Since he's not spending any AP aside from overwatch he won't have to worry about jamming and since they gotta go through him nothing's gonna hit you from behind faster than you can prepare a defense.

EDIT:  Point being, don't be afraid to leave a muhreen behind or sacrifice him if his death will put you closer to the goal.  A lot of the missions are suicide missions with no need to keep anyone alive except to complete the objective.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:06:27 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 19, 2013, 08:15:49 pm »

You probably could have gotten away with leaving that terminator you mentioned at the first corridor the entire game.

Yeah, that was my thinking going in. Then they stopped coming and I was like "Well, one more Storm Bolter at the front can't hurt...." Stupid.

Point being, don't be afraid to leave a muhreen behind or sacrifice him if his death will put you closer to the goal.  A lot of the missions are suicide missions with no need to keep anyone alive except to complete the objective.

The Emperor doesn't demand your life, only your death!
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 03, 2013, 09:28:42 am »

So uhm....I guess there's another Space Hulk coming out.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/03/incredible-space-hulk-deathwing-teased/

This one will be a FPS, apparently. No relation to this game. I'll thread it up once there's more known.

You know what they say, when it rains, it SPACE HULKS!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 03, 2013, 09:41:27 am »

A Space Hulk FPS?

...I can see this going either extremely poorly, or extremely well. If they make a generic FPS like the most recent Aliens game, it will fail. Hard.
If, on the other hand, they make the character move like a Terminator (slow and stompy) and the genestealers actually deadly in close combat (rapid death for you, instead of scratch damage)...it could work.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 03, 2013, 09:50:23 am »

Also, it'd be a shame if they left out the entire squad thing.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 03, 2013, 11:16:43 am »

A Space Hulk FPS?

...I can see this going either extremely poorly, or extremely well. If they make a generic FPS like the most recent Aliens game, it will fail. Hard.
If, on the other hand, they make the character move like a Terminator (slow and stompy) and the genestealers actually deadly in close combat (rapid death for you, instead of scratch damage)...it could work.

What about a 4-player co-op game like Left 4 Dead?
Also often called Boowells.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: SPACE HULK - BATTLE BROTHERS, ASSEMBLE! "MOAR HULK" The Emperor Cried!
« Reply #160 on: September 03, 2013, 11:44:14 am »

This could be the successor to SW: Republic Commando I've been looking for.
I hope.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 03, 2013, 11:58:47 am »

Yeah. A lone terminator should be pretty much doomed. It's the squad working together, sometimes sacrificing their lives for the mission, that makes victory possible.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 03, 2013, 12:00:58 pm »

Yeah. A lone terminator should be pretty much doomed. It's the squad working together, sometimes sacrificing their lives for the mission, that makes victory possible.

Which is pretty much the opposite of every 40k shooter made to-date.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: SPACE HULK - BATTLE BROTHERS, ASSEMBLE! "MOAR HULK" The Emperor Cried!
« Reply #163 on: September 03, 2013, 12:44:32 pm »

I hope it will be some squad based FPS mixed with tactical elements like those Swat3/Rainbow Six/Rogue Spear of old, could be very good for a FPS adaptation of Space Hulk, but i unfortunately doubt it will be the case.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]