Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: SPACE HULK - BATTLE BROTHERS, ASSEMBLE! "MOAR HULK" The Emperor Cried!  (Read 16000 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: SPACE HULK (HULK SPACE, SULK HPACE)
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2012, 03:58:19 pm »

Everything about 40k seems to eventually fall back on this. (or this more rarely)
MAAAAAAAATTT WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARDDDDDDD

Oh god, I can't stop. It's TVTropes bad.

I had no idea about most of this controversy. I stopped really paying attention to 40k official releases about 4th ed., mostly because I got tired of the money grubbing-ness. I've stuck to nothing but mostly 2nd ed. canon and 40k novels. It's telling they don't let Ward most of if any of those. (Although he edits some short story compilations.)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 04:00:31 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2012, 05:05:51 pm »

Everything about 40k seems to eventually fall back on this. (or this more rarely)
MAAAAAAAATTT WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARDDDDDDD

Oh god, I can't stop. It's TVTropes bad.
Of course it is, the first link is in fact tvtropes. :P
The rest, yeaaaaaah.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2012, 06:26:21 pm »

Back on topic, what would people like to see from a new space hulk game? Better graphic obviously, but would people like a strict translation from the board-game? An update from the PC or PS version? Something completely different? A horrible re-imagining of it into an fps?

Just wondering......... People will probably hate me for saying this, but some of the new X-coms mechanics would probably work quite well if the we're tweaked, but mainly from the genestealers (or other race's) perspective. Space marine terminators are their own heavy cover.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 06:43:15 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2012, 06:31:01 pm »

I think the binary nature of the game is what made it what it is. Very tight tolerances for success and failure. I suppose you could do stuff like give Stealers and Terminators actual wounds, variable damage ect....but the game was designed with a very tight balance in mind. Extending it into a more XCOM-like game would be kinda cool...but it would ultimately make a completely different game.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2012, 06:42:48 pm »

I'm normally hesitant to be all NO I HATE WHEN YOU CHANGE ANYTHING, but Space Hulk should not be changed at all.
Shoes...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2012, 06:45:47 pm »

I'm normally hesitant to be all NO I HATE WHEN YOU CHANGE ANYTHING, but Space Hulk should not be changed at all.
I mostly agree, but I'm sure there is something I wouldn't mind to see changed.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2012, 06:58:53 pm »

But you know they're going to, so what would you like to see?

More scenarios and more races would be great. Not only mission types (rather than the collect, flame, or move here types, although from memory there were timed missions and body-count missions) but also locations as well. SH would work just as well in fortresses, large buildings, Squat tunnels (even fortress-trains), lots of places really. It'd change up the scenery nicely, and give it a different feel for different missions.

It'd be fun being a boarding party in a BFG battle, and you could have multi-ending scenarios for how well you did (not all objectives are necessary, but taking out a carrier's engines could bring in a story-blurb that some frigates managed to do a strafing attack on a section of the ship, removing half their termies from the next mission).

Enemy types add replayability, and could be fit into the system fairly easily. Different weapons, different tactics for using them, all add to playtime and enjoyment.

Mutliplayer, with people able to control teams or even single troops. The same on the other side, except spawn points could be the controlling factor.

An option to either turn-base it, freeze-time it (ala pc version) or even fps it would all be fun. Turn-based is the main play mode, but freeze-time would make an interesting multiplayer competition mode. The fps mode would just be an additional mode made for fun, not the actual game. Think of it as a mini-game, unbalanced, just for a laugh.

There's plenty of other things they could do with it, but all those ideas listed would make it great. Actually, just a boardgame translation for pc+mobile+console would work too, but there's no reason to keep it just as that.

Ooo, another idea. How did I not think of this before? If it's kept tile based, then why not a random mission generator? Easy enough to make some fairly pretty modular tiles, ehances replayability, and would make multiplayer a hell of a lot more fun. None of this "I know the map" bs. Map generator, map linker for campaigns, map editor, and nice forum/site for saved maps from players all would add a donk-load to the "I'll buy this" value of the game.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:11:31 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2012, 09:49:15 pm »

Lots of zero-day DLC in the form of maps, missions, endings, weapons, factions, etc.  That way I can have the pleasure of continuously paying for the game, instead of just buying it once.

Seriously though, time pressure and fragility is what defined the first game.  I'd like it to maintain the same "limited pause" function for the treminators, and to ensure that they reliably die in melee.  If more detail is added to damage, weapons, movement, environmental hazards, great.  Just keep the time pressure and suspense.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2013, 02:05:16 pm »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/01/space-hulk-preview/

Big 'ol Q&A with one of the developers from Full Control about the game.

Highlights:

-PC is lead platform, but the game will cross-platform.
-The game will be turn-based, as opposed to the EA Space Hulk game which was real-time.
-They emphasize that the game will present like XCOM. Isometric view, with the area in view revealed while the rest of the map appears as a green, radarish overlay. You'll be able to see some details and movement. So compared to the table top game, it will offer some slight tactical differences. You might see stealer movement in areas you can't fully see, but you'll be seeing it as a radar return rather than seeing the actual stealers moving around.
-Flamer will have a modified template to provide more realistic coverage of the areas it hits. So, for example, in a 1 tile-wide corridor, a flamer would fill up more of the corridor, whereas in a room it would have the standard template.
-Command points might function a little differently. Like you may not be able to spend command points to invalidate Stealer movement points.
-Glam-cam, ala XCOM.
-MP will be asynchronous. They're still debating whether or not they're going to do synchronous.
-They're still debating whether to allow mid-mission saves, a redo button, or any of those kinds of things.
-Co-op will take the form of each player controlling a 5-man Terminator squad.
-Release: Sometime late 2013.

Lastly, enjoy some HD WRATH OF TEH EMPRAH!
Spoiler: It's Huge (click to show/hide)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2013, 02:12:43 pm »

Hmm...sounding pretty good. Very interested to see how this all shakes out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2013, 02:13:58 pm »

I'm pretty positive about this. Hopefully we'll get some in-game footage before long.

Oh, and thanks for the new wallpaper :D
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2013, 05:20:46 pm »

I thought the game would be crap, but looking on that info and screenshots, it looks good
Make love not war

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
Re: SPACE HULK
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2013, 11:03:31 pm »

SPACE

HULK

WHICH GOD

SHOULD I BE THANKING
Tzeench, probably. He's behind everything. Even himself.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: SPACE HULK
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2013, 11:05:46 pm »

SPACE

HULK

WHICH GOD

SHOULD I BE THANKING
Tzeench, probably. He's behind everything. Even himself.
Or Slaanesh. I mean, I know he/she didn't have anything to do with it. But he/she appreciates the credit regardless.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11