Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Income of every US neighborhood is (an interactive map). What's your 'hood like?  (Read 1973 times)

magic_gambit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I found this via a post in PoH's Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread. It's an interactive map that shows you how wealthy or poor your every community in America is.

I think Detonate's post says it better than I do:

http://www.richblockspoorblocks.com/

This is pretty interesting. You put in the city and state and the site will show you a map that shows the average household income of the area, compared to the state average. You can click each area to get an exact figure.

Here's Detroit

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Charlotte, NC

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My personal fav is San Fran. You can see the, uh... segregation (is that the right word) by income in the metro area:

What's everyone else's neighborhoods/cities like?

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I live in a college town, so the income displayed is much lower than the would be expected or shown due to many people living off either student loans or their parents.

It's also interesting how in some cities how the gentrified areas show high incomes right next to the other areas that haven't experienced that (see: Above, my Minneapolis-St. Paul map in the other thread, even Detroit).

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Pretty bland, apparently.

magic_gambit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I live in a college town, so the income displayed is much lower than the would be expected
Hmm, though I wonder if that really would be what to expect.

I mean, it makes sense to me that a college kid lives on less than $15-20k/year.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile

Is this only for America? If there's a UK version, gimme.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Heh. Have a gander at north florida :P

Showed nothing I wasn't expecting, though. Rural poverty agogo~
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile

Yeah, I also live in a college town so the area around the university is yellow. While immediately outside of that general area is green.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile

My hometown is completely dark red, and the county as a whole is close to that. Seattle and the I5 corridor are mainly green. How about that.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

My neighborhood in my home city is mid-range, right along the border between the part of town that's full of mansions and one of the many parts full of rows of shotgun houses. My uni's town is highly amusing; it's quartered by a pair of highways and is yellow/green in the three quarters that don't have dorms, while the one that does is deep red.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile

I live in one of the ghettos of a college town in California known for partying and artistic endeavors. It's all dark red, but then again my income is fifty percent below the poverty line. At least I get $12 a month extra starting next year.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My neighborhood is green. I can't distinguish between the various shades of green on the map, but I know it's green. So, good. Them suburbs.
On another note I do not live where I thought I do. I was off by several miles.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since you so thoughtfully provided the detroit area map, I didn't even have to look for the neighborhood I grew up in. It's yellow, which seems about right. Lower-middle class first ring suburbs, hey.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

I find it kind of funny that my entire city is light yellow/green with the exception of the college itself, which is a very dark shade of red. :P Basically the rule there appears to be that the farther away from the college you get the better your income is.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

All of Boone is dark red. That's what you get when you're a small college town.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

magic_gambit

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Miami and Detroit look really similar
Pages: [1] 2