Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Working for the RAF - shins  (Read 907 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Working for the RAF - shins
« on: December 09, 2012, 03:19:10 pm »

Hey guys.

I'm interested in joining the RAF and would like to work in their ICT/intelligence corps does anyone know if it's possible to get a job in computer security within this sector and where I can then possibly advance to ? I am getting a degree in computer security and I start this year, I just like to know things in advance.

On this subject in already a TA soldier under training and decided to go blue the only thing which is currently holding me back is my horribly weak shins, I did 2 2 mile tabs with weight on my back and it destroyed my legs and I could not walk right for a while. Any tips on shin streangthing ?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Working for the RAF - shins
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 04:29:42 pm »

do deadlifts to strengthen your hamstrings, im not too sure about UK but i know Electronics MOS is considered the same as a college education here in america.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 04:31:28 pm »

If you're looking for a job with the good ol' RAf then you went want to visit a recruitment centre.
http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/applicationzone/visitacareersoffice.cfm

Shin-wise? Drink lots of milk. What exercise do you do to strengthen your skins already?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 05:03:28 pm »

Yeah I have talked with the recrutment center already somewhat but I love to far away from them and I work every day to be able to go into have a chat. They also won't even give me the time of the day because I'm doing a 3 year degree and they say not to bother them untill I'm close to finishing.

But I can do a Officer selection board ages before I go in right?

And I'm not sure if they would tell me anything about doing computer security in the RAF just wanting to know I could go into that area.

And hmm currently I'm about to start tabbing on running machines in my local gym, I am starting off with no weight and doing a 3 mile tab, after a month I will go up to 10kg weight in my Bergen then make my way upto 40kg and increasing the distance respectively. Is there any sort of weight training I could be doing for shins as well ?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 05:10:50 pm »

I belive they released one member just a few months back, and of course the third generation has never been imprisoned at all - though they weren't exactly active either. With the recent unpleasantness that goes by the name of NSU I'm sure some left-wing terrorism would be good for the country.

Or did you maybe mean that other RAF? :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 08:25:36 pm »

It's pretty common for the connective tissue of shins to lag behind when conditioning your legs for running or marching, especially in the first month or so. And as the muscles strengthen and aerobic fitness improves with training greater loads are put on the shins which often leads to shin splints after 2-4 weeks. Just be aware that you'll often feel stronger and fitter during the first month but there's increasing risk of injury if you're still feeling soreness in your shins. And shin splints or stress fractures can take months to heal, in which case you get start the process all over again.