- 0 (0%)
Pythagoras (Recovery ship)
- 0 (0%)
Julius (transforming drone)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 13, 2012, 01:24:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31

Author Topic: You are a spaceship designer  (Read 24687 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: You are a spaceship designer
« Reply #195 on: December 12, 2012, 01:09:33 am »

We can't do everything at the same time, we'll stack up penalties like mad.

I vote for the Valhalla and the Oculus. (Also, why use a railgun instead of a laser, which is our speciality )

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 12, 2012, 03:28:03 am »

We can't do everything at the same time, we'll stack up penalties like mad.

I vote for the Valhalla and the Oculus. (Also, why use a railgun instead of a laser, which is our speciality )
We aren't even doing any kind of detailed design. But at least we would have some rough numbers in order to present to the authorities.

In addition, only fools would do all designing before even building a working prototype.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 12, 2012, 03:46:12 am »

do you think that making a prototype doesn't need designing?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 12, 2012, 04:11:42 am »

do you think that making a prototype doesn't need designing?
Point is we should do this spirally. Do a bit of design, let yards produce a prototype and evaluate, and continue to work on the design after feedback.

So essentially we are at a "do a bit of design" stage for those preliminary designs, and wait for some kind of feedback to gauge our priorities.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 12, 2012, 04:27:38 am »

You'll get one month turns, I am not going to fast-forward months, you'll get progress reports after each turn. But I am not gonna make partial turns, either. Main reason why I am gonna to penalize your for having  more than two projects because I don't want to write more than two such reports every turn At least not before I get used for that game

Also, prototype = finished ship
If you got permission to build one (should be trivial for a drone,  not so for corvette) upgrading it = starting a new project. Modernization\upgrading will be easier in most cases, but still it's a new project
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 12, 2012, 04:39:40 am »

Well, from the looks of it there is at least a consensus for designing the oculus(my vote as well), and I'll trow my hat into the ring for the railgun drone as well
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 12, 2012, 04:47:28 am »

You'll get one month turns, I am not going to fast-forward months, you'll get progress reports after each turn. But I am not gonna make partial turns, either. Main reason why I am gonna to penalize your for having  more than two projects because I don't want to write more than two such reports every turn At least not before I get used for that game

If you got permission to build one (should be trivial for a drone,  not so for corvette) upgrading it = starting a new project. Modernization\upgrading will be easier in most cases, but still it's a new project
Point is we can eat the penalty. We just need numbers to present to the navy so we know what we should concentrate on.

The 1st no-no for lean startups is designing a product too far before knowing what the customers want.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 12, 2012, 05:18:57 am »

PTW.

Also, is there place for one more?
Durrr..

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 12, 2012, 05:33:11 am »

It's a suggestion game, so places aren't limited

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 12, 2012, 06:56:03 am »

Do i need to provide a name or something?
Durrr..

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 12, 2012, 07:11:15 am »

Point is we can eat the penalty. We just need numbers to present to the navy so we know what we should concentrate on.

The 1st no-no for lean startups is designing a product too far before knowing what the customers want.
No we can't. We really don't want all out projects to come out worse. Besides, we know what the ministery needs. They need security and orbit to ground transport. At this point , they have nothing and they will accept prety much everything.

Hence why I propose we design a short term project: The oculus and a long term project, like the Valkyrie. The oculus will give us a view of the pirate problem, and the Valkyrie is going to be succcesfull. Besides, the GM has ruled on this  issue already.

Do i need to provide a name or something?
Nope

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 12, 2012, 07:17:53 am »

After reading around a bit, i've come to conclude that the drones  are the best things we can design right now. The reasons are...

Drones are...

-Universal: meaning you can fit a lot of things on a drone
-Unmanned: Can perform dangerous tasks which people won't have to.
-Quite cheap: Depends on design of course but are cheap compared to ships
-Solid sales: Drones generally benefit all, be it military,mining,science or civil based. So need for it can raise quickly, IF we make good designs. More need for designs = more profit!

Durrr..

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 12, 2012, 07:33:51 am »

I vote for the Oculus and the Valkyrie. I will soon provide a visual for the Oculus (perhaps 5 to 6 hours from now) as I perceive it.
If you want me to make other ship visuals, ask nicely  :D
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 12, 2012, 07:37:17 am »

Ukrainian, we're not making half a dozen finished designs in a month. We're making half a dozen quick designs so we can guess the final parameters of each ship, so we can ask which to actually design. If making the rolls is a lot of work for you, or whatever, just assume we create a virtual prototype with specs which can be reached on-budget and let us know what the government wants us to make.

No we can't. We really don't want all out projects to come out worse. Besides, we know what the ministery needs. They need security and orbit to ground transport. At this point , they have nothing and they will accept prety much everything.
Again, not finished designs, quick overviews.

Railgun drone:
1. Why railgun, it's not our speciality
       -80% Plastic ammunition means that railgun shots will be five times less powerfull than normal, metal counterparts
       -Ammunition is persistant. Together with drones(mass production) this can form a serious problem for shipping
       -Ammunition means that the drones will need to be ressuplieable.
       -In a universe where drones have their own designation and ship class, Point Defense will be calibrated to account for them.
Why railgun? It's cheaper than laser.
80% of a special polymer which is meant to be able to poke through spaceships. GM would have told us if there was a problem like that. Especially since I submitted the design, with that detail, twice.
Space is big.
What makes them non-resuppliable?
Assumptions, assumptions. Assuming that there's enough combat drones for that statement to make sense, assuming such a thing would really be point defense, assuming that the hit on performance with missiles and/or increased cost would be worth it, assuming the pirates have this faux point defense...besides, I highly doubt that, with all the drones being suggested, the GM would have just left out that there's effective point defense against small targets far away and trying to avoid you (which, aside from size, is the exact opposite of a missile, which is trying to hit you and generally close at some point).

Lux Laser ship
       -Lasers are energy hungry. Don't know how well that mixes with batteries. I assume not good. Besides, we're good with reactors, should use them.
You don't like railguns, you don't like lasers...what are we supposed to give the armed ships, radios that tell the enemies bad jokes?
Missiles are bad, they'll get hit hard with point defense, which is, you know, calibrated to missiles.
Non-railguns have all the issues of railguns and then some.
Other weapons probably don't exist for space combat.

I vote for the Oculus and the Valkyrie. I will soon provide a visual for the Oculus (perhaps 5 to 6 hours from now) as I perceive it.
If you want me to make other ship visuals, ask nicely  :D
I'd like to see the Hiram-I.

Incidentally, I vote for the "ask what we should make" option.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 12, 2012, 07:56:50 am »

Well since you folks seem to be stuck at a weapon choice expect laser/rails. Can't we use one of these?

-Heated Plasma
-Ion cannons
-Live ammunition (Good 'ol bullets)

About the missiles... We keep thinking about the big lumbersome kind, which hits hard. We could make a missile which splits into lesser missiles, It reduces he effective damage of point defense because it has more targets to destroy. But we sacrifice destruction power for it though, on the other side. Hitting something is better than nothing right?
Durrr..
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 31