- 0 (0%)
Pythagoras (Recovery ship)
- 0 (0%)
Julius (transforming drone)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 13, 2012, 01:24:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31

Author Topic: You are a spaceship designer  (Read 24653 times)

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a spaceship designer
« Reply #135 on: December 11, 2012, 12:42:56 pm »

Laser fence and laser artillery are too inefficient, the best option is to equip MIRVs on to the droids that have a low EM and heat signature(probably need more info on the type of sensors these pirates have and if they have any shielding). That will also have a passive some type of passive sensors, in order to detect enemy ships.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 12:45:31 pm by jaass »

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 11, 2012, 12:47:28 pm »

Uhm, we can do multiple things at once. Multitasking is a thing.

Oh cool. But that sounds quite weird. Will it take twice as long then or what? While multitasking is a thing, people are generally quite bad at it.  :P

I'd have thought we'd need a point in AI, so that it can function on it's own.

Also, PTW.

I am quite sure that we can have a AI without prioritise it. Just like we can have some kind of movement ability. It just wont be the AI that stands apart from other sensor drones.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 11, 2012, 12:51:39 pm »

Laser fence and laser artillery are too inefficient, the best option is to equip MIRVs on to the droids that have a low EM and heat signature(probably need more info on the type of sensors these pirates have and if they have any shielding). That will also have a passive some type of passive sensors, in order to detect enemy ships.
Not planning to use a fence. Just a laser redirection system, allowing us to build what is effectively a network of defense sattelites for the cost of a single sattelite and some redirectors. The system can be overwhelmed, but it should have enough redundancy to survive the loss of a few hits. Even if we lose an entire branch, we should be capable of recalibrating the next part of the cycle to accept the laser within a few minutes, or hours at worst.

Note: an MIRV is a orbit to ground warhead. Also it's not going to work. A basic pointdefense just zaps the missiles out of the sky. Also, reloading costs, and it can't react fast enough. Besides, a dedicated pirate assault can quite probably punch through it's limitied ammunition.

GM note says that we can assign people to 2 projects at the same time without problems.

Spoiler: GM (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 12:53:29 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 11, 2012, 12:56:40 pm »

Ahh. Missed that part.

I vote for Sensor Grid Drone/Oculus MI/Sensor drone MI with stealth as a priority instead of AI. And for the VAT.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 11, 2012, 01:29:20 pm »

Quote from: 10ebbor10
[spoiler=GM
Mass makes a much better way to gauge ships than size. Especially for spaceships. A cargo ship will be far larger than a military ship, but cost much less. At the same time there's also no real limit on ship size. Large ships can be made in parts and put together in space[/spoiler]

Volume is much better for my system of rolls. I should make civilian equivalent of sizes, because it's indeed a slightly different story. Calling civilian ship frigate, cruiser or battleship is just silly. Feel free to suggest lists. I am bad in civilian names

As for module based construction
1) I want to avoid this because I don't want people start to designing modules. It's an old realism vs playability thing
2) You can't do many things in space as good as you do inside. But you should view max size as not hard limit, but limit until you get some penalties for making ships that space-yard not suited for.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 11, 2012, 01:44:53 pm »

That said some kind of standardization is good. At least, we want parts and ammo sharing between different ship makes.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 11, 2012, 02:08:07 pm »

AI is a priority for several reasons.
1: Good ai will be harder to hack.
2: Ai that work together should allow for humans looking at it overall to see where we've been losing drones in certain areas and draw maps.
3: Good ai means we can repurpose the drones, maybe as limited scouts, in the future.

However, priorities set as 1 for ai and 1 for stealth could work.

Also, +1 for Oculus M1 :)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 11, 2012, 02:10:18 pm »

If we're using a thightbeam laser connection, the entire system is unhackable unless they manage to fly directly between probes, something that we will always see coming.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 11, 2012, 02:12:23 pm »

+1 for the Oculus M1
+1 for the Laser Drones.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 11, 2012, 02:14:32 pm »

If we're limiting ourselves to 2 projects, I propose we assign everybody to everything, at least for the moment.

Evil Marahadja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 11, 2012, 02:28:19 pm »

The station don't have the materials necessary to build lasers at a reasonable prise. So to build laser drone at this stage would be pointless.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 11, 2012, 02:32:27 pm »

At the moment, the current sensor drones are not configured to reflect the lasers. Someone can take my draft and edit it to include that.

Also, I mean hacking as in, hacking into the sensor drone to get the codes it will recognise as 'friendly', which would allow pirates to enter in without the merchants knowing that ship is actually hostile. I actually predict this will happen at SOME point, certainly if and when the pirates capture an actual merchant ship, but it's a short term solution that can be expanded upon later. Heck, if the ai's good, it could probably adapt as time goes on.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 11, 2012, 03:04:30 pm »

Cork. cork is verry heat resistant. it was both used on ICBMs and manned space missions.

lets have someone look at the stone.
and im going to work on a ship design.
Here it is!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 05:31:37 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 11, 2012, 03:27:02 pm »

Sadly, desert planet doesn't spell well for the avaibility of what is essentially tree bark.

Also, a cargo ship with ion engines and solar sails. Not going to happen. Not for freights that will need to arrive within a few years, anyway. Besides, solar sails are bloody large, forcing these ships to move away from other ship in order to avoid collisions. Secondly, they are easily damaged.

At the moment, the current sensor drones are not configured to reflect the lasers. Someone can take my draft and edit it to include that.

Also, I mean hacking as in, hacking into the sensor drone to get the codes it will recognise as 'friendly', which would allow pirates to enter in without the merchants knowing that ship is actually hostile. I actually predict this will happen at SOME point, certainly if and when the pirates capture an actual merchant ship, but it's a short term solution that can be expanded upon later. Heck, if the ai's good, it could probably adapt as time goes on.

Yeah, using thightbeam communications they can't acces the codes, unless they acces the system. Which would require physical acces to one of the drones, or acces to the thighbeam link. The second can be avoided by automatically cutting the links once a ship gets to near, the later is pretty obvious. Besides, thanks to the thightbeams secure and large datatransmitting, we can easily backup the data. In fact, we can even do all our processing at home if need be. Though that would result in significant delays.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 11, 2012, 03:30:44 pm »

fine. no ion ones. ice ones? where ice is vaporized with lasers and the vapor provides the thrust.
what kind of pulpulsion do we have, besides chemical, ion and solar sails?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31