- 0 (0%)
Pythagoras (Recovery ship)
- 0 (0%)
Julius (transforming drone)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 13, 2012, 01:24:40 pm

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31

Author Topic: You are a spaceship designer  (Read 24689 times)

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a spaceship designer
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2012, 12:39:51 pm »

Upgrade our laboratory and try to hire some experienced staff to train the rest of the workforce.

Find out if any old damaged ships or ship wrecks have been left on the planet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2012, 12:52:43 pm »

But how would we defend it?

We need some ships to protect it first or they'll blow it out of the sky before it can be fully deployed and brought on line.
Heavily armed defensive spacestation, remember? (The Haven should be able to protect our artiller ships)

But yeah, try to find out if there are any old/damaged / civilian ships that we could repurpose.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2012, 01:09:36 pm »

Elaborate on the pirate problem. Do they know anything about their bases and ship capacity?
(This is probably pretty vital as to what we should build.)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 01:12:33 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2012, 01:17:03 pm »

Added info about the pirates to the 3rd post
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2012, 01:20:13 pm »

Yup, hidden in asteroids. Orbital lasers won't be very usefull against these.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2012, 01:25:23 pm »

Yup, hidden in asteroids. Orbital lasers won't be very usefull against these.
They appear to have dug in bases, so yeah, that would prove problematic. We could still use the lasers as support, but I don't think this'll be very viable. We could install a network of probes (Maybe even with their own mirrors) and then use these lasers to secure a trader corridor, though. Having a small; if immobile drone with the firepower of a frigate size laser is nice.

Scratching that idea then. Anyway, it seems that aerocapable ships will be the first thing to be build, considering the special challenges with the terrain.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2012, 01:37:52 pm »

So what about required staff? Currently I got only ebbor's suggestion to ask for computer\targeting\sensors guys
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2012, 01:40:40 pm »

Mechanics and training staff.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2012, 01:41:12 pm »

I support a programmer.

Also, a mathematician. So we can find out when we have enough power to blow up their asteroids.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2012, 01:47:14 pm »

You are head of R&D department, it's not your job to care about workforce

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2012, 01:52:18 pm »

But if the work force messes everything up we don't get paid.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2012, 01:53:42 pm »

You are head of R&D department, it's not your job to care about workforce
Translation: Workforce is an anonymous gray entity that doesn't mess stuff up, unless we make overcomplicated plans.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2012, 02:31:53 pm »

sounds like a neat game.  :D

What I think we should do is to crank out Millenium Falcon-like corvettes by the dozen, and to sell them to experienced civilian captains for a reasonable price.
Having multi-purpose corvettes around, doing day-to-day jobs with minimal risks (being fast enough to outrun what they can't bring down with their limited weaponry) would increase our income and the global speed of upgrades, I think.
Making ships in large, standardized series will also minimize the lack of experienced workforce after a while.

DESIGN: Corvette.
-Role: getting things around, especially from ground to space and vice-versa, but also around the planet and around the system.
-Super fast.
-Easy to patch.
-Redundant systems to keep it going. If only to get back to the repair station safely.
-Limited weaponry (two laser turrets)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2012, 02:49:44 pm »

Each corvette takes a month to build. Not really an option.

My plan is to start with a simple air to ground cargoliner. There are 2 options, either a hardy,heavily armoured shuttle that burns through the dusty athmosphere, or a modified low speed automated space plane that makes a very gentle and very slow decent. At the ground, you fold it up and launch it back up by the dozen.

Then we he have the economic margin for some larger projects.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2012, 02:51:21 pm »

But first we need to vote for a team.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31