- 0 (0%)
Pythagoras (Recovery ship)
- 0 (0%)
Julius (transforming drone)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 13, 2012, 01:24:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31

Author Topic: You are a spaceship designer  (Read 24623 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: You are a spaceship designer
« Reply #270 on: December 13, 2012, 04:08:09 pm »

still. get math man on it.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 13, 2012, 06:12:14 pm »

The Hiram was so close...

Sad. Wish I had remembered the laser specialty whilst designing it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 13, 2012, 06:14:42 pm »

next round man.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 13, 2012, 06:16:53 pm »

Duh.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 14, 2012, 04:47:54 am »

Do we really have a choice? just pour every single man into these 2 projects using its natural pace.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 14, 2012, 06:58:02 am »

Draft of sensor drone. If anyone reckons they can improve it, then suggest away. :P

Name: Sensor Grid Drone

Desired volume: Light Drone (as small as possible without compromising equipment quality)

Project Team: Brian O'Donald, Mark Volkov, Anton Jones

Estimated time on designing: 1 Month.

General description: Small sensor drones whose purpose is to act as an early-warning for merchant ships. Placed in numbers, their ai inter-link with each other to provide a bigger picture. Drones will be programmed to recognise ships based on their codes they transmit, with unregistered or unknown ones show up as hostile.
They have an outer layer of ceramics to protect the plastic layer inside. The drones are equipped with solar panels for power, as they're expected to go on a long time without outside help. Armour is non-existent barring basic hull to protect the equipment from space debris. They rely on their tiny size and black paint to evade unwanted attention. They are deployed by practically any ship, and feature a simple propulsion system to slowly get into more dangerous areas if needed.

Priorities:
Sensors - 2
AI - 2
Neglect armour - 1

Keep thinking I've missed something out in the description... oh well. Also, if you can think of a better name... name it :3
Here's my transport ship's idea. It's a dedicated cargo shuttle. Modified it because most transport will be up, not down.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's what I'll base my rolls on. We got some discussion on Oculus, so if anyone want to update it, do it now
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 14, 2012, 07:10:30 am »

Here are pictures:

This one is canon.
Spoiler: Oculus sentry (click to show/hide)

As I made it before the Valhalla's suggestion, this one isn't exactly the Valhalla (it has only two engines for example), but I think it can roughly describe it (until its creator say otherwise, I shall then make something fitting his idea a little more.)
Spoiler: exterior (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: interior (click to show/hide)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 14, 2012, 07:26:54 am »

No, seriously, how did you make those?
Sig

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 14, 2012, 07:28:27 am »

He said it before, but its a game called Blockade Runner

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 14, 2012, 07:30:38 am »

Ship's fine. Probably a bit to squareish, but it's fine.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 14, 2012, 07:43:02 am »

He said it before, but its a game called Blockade Runner
Oh, missed that.

Sorry.
Sig

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 14, 2012, 07:51:09 am »

Everybody knows that there's such a thing as point defenses, right?
Typically designed for missiles, which don't take evasive action or stay far away from the ship because, you know, that would invalidate their point.

btw what kind of software are you using?
I'd also like to know.

...Amazingly, I have nothing else to comment on.

I suggest that we work on a couple cheap drones for now. Possibly a sensors drone and a combat drone. I'll resubmit the Hiram-I.
Name: Hiram-I Railgun Defensive Drone (HIRDD)
Desired Volume: Drone (~5 meters in diameter)
Team: ? At this point, I don't care. Maybe Brian and Mark?
Estimated Time: 1.5 Months?
General Description: A roughly spherical drone, with main engines on one end, auxiliary rockets to the sides, and a turret to the "front" end of the drone. This turret holds a single railgun, firing at the lazy speed of 150 rounds per minute. These rounds are 85% plastic darts which are designed, in both polymer and form, to pierce ship hulls. The whole drone is designed economically, so it can be made in large swarms. While a few are hardly a threat to an armed ship, due to their frailty and the fairy primitive AI, in large numbers they can be impressive. A hundred or so Hiram-I's can probably fill a smallish ship with holes until it loses atmosphere before the larger ship can make a notable dent in their numbers. Against well-armored ships, they're not so good, but the AI's tendency to stay as far away from other ships as they can while still being able to hit their target means that only actual weapons work against them--most point-defense lasers don't have the accuracy to hit them, even if forced to try.
Priorities: Cash Cost 2, Agility 1, Time to Make 1, Durability (neglected) 1

(What's IC Cost?)
This is Hiram.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 14, 2012, 07:57:12 am »

Yeah we know. Don't need if for now. Maybe next turn.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 14, 2012, 10:02:31 am »

Name
Pythagoras
Desired volume
8000 m³
Team
Brian O'Donald
Anton Jones
Mark Volkov
General description of the idea
Dedicated salvage vessel equipped to defend legal salvage operations and, if need be, escape with any accumulated salvage. Its armament should consist of the capacity to carry and swiftly deploy up to 8 large drones. This would grant it the option of carrying sensory drones to maintain a complete field of view to detect hazardous environmental factors prior to contact. It should also grant it the capacity to effectively engage most light vessels capable of pursuing it with minimum risk to the crew and cargo. It would also grant it the ability to leave the drones to destroy any particularly sensitive property that the owners wish to prevent being recovered by other agencies.
 It should possess the capacity to recover an intact fighter class craft. A forward-mounted, space-accessible cargo compartment of approximately 1200 m³ capacity would be appropriate.
 Salvaged vessels may possess hazardous environments so the ability to gain access at any point is required. Additionally a salvaged vessel may become unstable, so rapid egress is vital. To this end the vessel requires a rear-mounted docking port with external breaching equipment and some measure of armouring.
As salvage tends to exist in hazardous environments, the vessel should be capable of rapid acceleration and early detection of potential hazards.
Priorities
2-Speed
1-drone/fighter launching and recovery
1-boarding apparatus
1-neglect AI

{The following is written on one of those handy sticky-notes that come with a self-immolation tab for rapid disposal.}
Given that the pirates represent a significant potential client pool it seems foolish not to cater to their needs.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 14, 2012, 10:12:41 am »

We're not a freelance designer remember. We're hired by the local governement, which quite probably won't be selling to pirates. (Though maybe, it's an army just sitting on you front door).

Really, most large production facilities around here are either governement owned, or pirate owned, and something says to me that the pirates are not going to pay royalities.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31