- 0 (0%)
Pythagoras (Recovery ship)
- 0 (0%)
Julius (transforming drone)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 13, 2012, 01:24:40 pm

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31

Author Topic: You are a spaceship designer  (Read 24642 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: You are a spaceship designer
« Reply #150 on: December 11, 2012, 03:34:46 pm »

Ice is generally not considered an efficient energy carrier.

Also, why a cargo vehicle. If there's one thing that isn't a problem in this system, then it's transtellar cargotransport. Except for the pirates of cores.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 11, 2012, 03:37:35 pm »

because if we can have a pod of cargo we can have a pod of drones, or of missiles, or other useful war like things. besides, this means more money for us to be given to make better things.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 11, 2012, 03:41:47 pm »

We're not going to make money of cargo runs, especially when there's more lucrative things.

Besides, we don't decide what gets produced, the governement does. This seems to be more of at thing for the ministery of transport rather than the Navy. (technically , we do work for him, but there's no point in trying to fix something that isn't broke. Especially since we're standing in an infrastructural ruin.)

Then again, go ahead if we have nothing better to do. Do think that maybe a small drone with combat abilities might be better.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2012, 03:49:06 pm »

but as it can be used for both then they are more likely to get it.
Highly Opinionated Fool

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2012, 04:00:26 pm »

Something that attempts to do everything will fail at everything.

But sure go ahead if it doesn't interfere with anything. Why would we want to waste resources.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 11, 2012, 04:00:47 pm »

Personally, I would like to see implementation of the sensor drones and a ground to space ship to transport goods from ground to space. Both are in need.
After that, focussing on securing the trade routes would be a long term goals. Simply because a: it's needed, therefore, people will buy. b: good trade means good economy which means more money which, eventually, comes back to us. As an addition, good economy could bring the possibility of improving Haven, or even a brand new station.

Ofcourse, prospect of war would change our priorities, but those are the ones I see thus far. The sensor drones will give us some of the scope of the pirate problem aswell, and whether we should utterly prioritise in military/police vessels.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 11, 2012, 04:01:47 pm »

It is designed to do nothing, but to be made to do something.
and it will be able to carry the drones.
Highly Opinionated Fool

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 11, 2012, 04:03:18 pm »

Everything can carry the drones. They are designed to be universal. We don't need a dedicated drone carrier, because everywhere we can use them, we already posses the capability to deploy them.

Also, I think the GM Said no about modular stuff.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 11, 2012, 04:05:04 pm »

wont be dedicated. but it could carry a lot of them, more than most of them. then when they are not needed it can carry something else, like troops or gear or just about anything else.
Highly Opinionated Fool

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 11, 2012, 04:12:13 pm »

As can every other cargo ship in the universe.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 11, 2012, 04:13:51 pm »

If we coated the drones with a reflective substance, it should fuck up nearby sensors.
But yeah... I agree with Ebbor here, no need to make a cargo ship.  We don't need it.  Remember, we aren't the only ship-designer in the universe.  Other ships exist besides the ones we use.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 11, 2012, 04:15:43 pm »

If we coated the drones with a reflective substance, it should fuck up nearby sensors.
But yeah... I agree with Ebbor here, no need to make a cargo ship.  We don't need it.  Remember, we aren't the only ship-designer in the universe.  Other ships exist besides the ones we use.
Sadly, those'll be mostly our own. Besides, it'll make them rather easy to target. Reflective stuff tends to stand out from the surroundings. Going low might be a better idea, then we just need to equip things with flares to drown out our own signals.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 11, 2012, 04:18:59 pm »

its a ship. that can carry cargo. or it can carry artillery pieces. or it can carry troops. its just a basic hull that we can attach things to. or can carry cargo so we sell it so we can fund our research.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 11, 2012, 04:45:12 pm »

the drones can be deployed by the merchants that buy the drones off the government. That's assuming the government has NO SHIPS AT ALL! So even worst case scenario, the drones will be deployed.

It might be smart LATER to have some form of transport, but right now, it's low on priorities.

I actually thought of an idea. Perhaps we make 2 different types of drones, both in a month. Sensor and the other a combat drone. We can then see what sells best, which would give us an idea of what the consumer thinks is best in tackling the pirate threat, and give us a direction.
Later on, we could see if they prefer quality, but few ships, or cheap but many variants, and so forth. Granted, this would normally be done by sales and marketing, but since we don't have this info, I'm assuming we're just RnD without SnM support.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 11, 2012, 04:45:51 pm »

Everybody knows that there's such a thing as point defenses, right?
Typically designed for missiles, which don't take evasive action or stay far away from the ship because, you know, that would invalidate their point.

btw what kind of software are you using?
I'd also like to know.

...Amazingly, I have nothing else to comment on.

I suggest that we work on a couple cheap drones for now. Possibly a sensors drone and a combat drone. I'll resubmit the Hiram-I.
Name: Hiram-I Railgun Defensive Drone (HIRDD)
Desired Volume: Drone (~5 meters in diameter)
Team: ? At this point, I don't care. Maybe Brian and Mark?
Estimated Time: 1.5 Months?
General Description: A roughly spherical drone, with main engines on one end, auxiliary rockets to the sides, and a turret to the "front" end of the drone. This turret holds a single railgun, firing at the lazy speed of 150 rounds per minute. These rounds are 85% plastic darts which are designed, in both polymer and form, to pierce ship hulls. The whole drone is designed economically, so it can be made in large swarms. While a few are hardly a threat to an armed ship, due to their frailty and the fairy primitive AI, in large numbers they can be impressive. A hundred or so Hiram-I's can probably fill a smallish ship with holes until it loses atmosphere before the larger ship can make a notable dent in their numbers. Against well-armored ships, they're not so good, but the AI's tendency to stay as far away from other ships as they can while still being able to hit their target means that only actual weapons work against them--most point-defense lasers don't have the accuracy to hit them, even if forced to try.
Priorities: Cash Cost 2, Agility 1, Time to Make 1, Durability (neglected) 1

(What's IC Cost?)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 31