Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to bypass college blocking Peer to Peer connections?  (Read 19666 times)

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
How to bypass college blocking Peer to Peer connections?
« on: December 09, 2012, 08:21:17 am »

Before people rag on me about piracy, I don't pirate. It leaves a sickly feeling in my stomach when I pirate. Mostly theres just certain types of files I can only get via using torrents, or files or old, old games so obscure and I owned so long ago that I can't find them anywhere. Basically, what do? I attempted using Hotspot Shield on an old laptop and tried downloading the torrent-of-the-day from piratebay, which is when my hamachi started 'probing' and my connection slightly died for a moment. The torrent got stuck on downloading metadata and never progressed. I'd keep trying but the school records these attempted connections and its a two-strike policy, ending in termination of your account being allowed to access school networks, and I might have a strike from this little test.

Any ideas? Last year I got it to work fine via a VPN to an actual server cluster that a family member owned, but that cluster has been shut down and sold off since, so I'm guessing either I'm missing a step or this program isn't doing its thing right.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: How to bypass college blocking Peer to Peer connections?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 08:28:10 am »

Mayby you can ask a friend to torrent it somewhere else and send it to you on a USB?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 08:36:42 am »

Tor browser.

There was also a chinese program that allowed the same, but was found to datamine. Still, if you dont browse anything that should be secure, and do it from linux to prevent viral infections, you might get away with it.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 08:38:33 am »

Tor browser.

There was also a chinese program that allowed the same, but was found to datamine. Still, if you dont browse anything that should be secure, and do it from linux to prevent viral infections, you might get away with it.
Tor browser.. how does this work? Laptop has a separate debian partition already, so I'm good there.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 08:41:20 am »

You dont need linux for that. Just download tor browser.
http://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

Might need to make that https, if your college censor is very anal

Edit: sorry misread. Tor browser wont help you with this. Thought it was straight college web censorship

I jumped the gun, sorry
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 08:46:13 am »

You dont need linux for that. Just download tor browser.
http://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

Might need to make that https, if your college censor is very anal

Edit: sorry misread. Tor browser wont help you with this. Thought it was straight college web censorship

I jumped the gun, sorry

Nah, they don't censor websites. I can go pretty much anywhere I desire, only peer to peer, IE connecting to a tracker service or something, is considered bad. Which is why I need either some form of free seedbox or a way to reliably encrypt my traffic. Either that or see what I can download at mcdonalds and tim hortons

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 12:27:20 pm »

If you p2p over the tor network, you're a dick.

It uses tons bandwidth that could be better used by dissidents living under oppressive governments.

Just pay a few bucks a month for a good vpn.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 12:33:59 pm »

also ipv4 to ipv6 tunnels worked a bit ago, and were cheaper than vpn.

it still makes you a primary target on packet inspection on both ends, so if you scope is obscure old games you should jump first on gog or ebay  :P

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 12:35:16 pm »

I wish I knew how to do this so I could play LoL and steam games at school.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 12:39:38 pm »

I used freecap for that but it was a long time ago. the idea is a proxy that capture all winsocks call and route them trough a proxy.

you still have to find a working proxy, but it allows for non proxable application to work

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 12:51:26 pm »

I used freecap for that but it was a long time ago. the idea is a proxy that capture all winsocks call and route them trough a proxy.

you still have to find a working proxy, but it allows for non proxable application to work
that is a bitch to work through and causes alot of lag, you are better off with a vpn, give me a week im trying to build my own vpn here at home, if it works i might share it around

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 01:04:54 pm »

yeah it is not any good for multiplayer, just downloads.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 05:17:15 pm »

IE connecting
Have you tried Firefox/Chrome/Opera?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 07:23:07 pm »

that is a bitch to work through and causes alot of lag, you are better off with a vpn, give me a week im trying to build my own vpn here at home, if it works i might share it around
As nice as that is of you, I would not advise it.  There's a very good chance you could be liable for any traffic you allow through it.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 07:27:54 pm »

As nice as that is of you, I would not advise it.  There's a very good chance you could be liable for any traffic you allow through it.
true and all but im utilizing OpenVPN which requires me to give you credentials file, so my trust is utmost high. plus the cousin that went to law school went very deep into electronic laws so meh.
Pages: [1] 2