Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Yetis: Shall we mod the savefile to make yetis trainable?

No. This game is supposed to be (mostly) vanilla.
- 1 (14.3%)
No. We need them for the militia's live training.
- 0 (0%)
Yes. We could trade them for a nice profit.
- 0 (0%)
Yes. We shall crush our enimies with war yetis!
- 6 (85.7%)
♪ It's a small world after all...  ♪
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 36

Author Topic: [Self-Explanatory Title] Amberjewel, The Glacial Succession Fortress [/Title]  (Read 87703 times)

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile

Matoro, epic update!

Don't forget that the fortress is somehow connected to caverns now.

There should be some steel leggings, too. =)

Yeah, I noticed. I planned to seal off the caverns since we really don't need anything from them. Also I saw the leggings, but I won't use them since greaves are always better than leggings.

Nice to know you like my updates. More will come tomorrow.

EDIT: Okay, I'll melt them down too. There's too much things to haul and too few haulers...

Njals

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also I saw the leggings, but I won't use them since greaves are always better than leggings.
Nope. Mail protect from metal bolts, while plate does not. !!science!! That's why I preferred leggings.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also I saw the leggings, but I won't use them since greaves are always better than leggings.
Nope. Mail protect from metal bolts, while plate does not. !!science!! That's why I preferred leggings.

Somehow I had an idea that greaves would have better coverage or something... I had misunderstood the [ARMORLEVEL]-tag. But doesen't plate protect better against slashing? I don't really remember. Good that you cleared that. In that case we'll need some more leggings.

I have planned to rearrange military to 5 melee squads of 3 dwarves for maximize the amount spent sparring. Crossbowdwarves will be in squads of five (three squads of them as a whole). Squads will have homogenous weaponry and they will be constantly active and in training.

Njals

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Somehow I had an idea that greaves would have better coverage or something... I had misunderstood the [ARMORLEVEL]-tag. But doesen't plate protect better against slashing? I don't really remember. Good that you cleared that. In that case we'll need some more leggings.

I have planned to rearrange military to 5 melee squads of 3 dwarves for maximize the amount spent sparring. Crossbowdwarves will be in squads of five (three squads of them as a whole). Squads will have homogenous weaponry and they will be constantly active and in training.
Yeah, ranged weapons are somewhat bugged in current version. Plate protect better against slashing indeed, but IMHO ranged weapons are the main threat (master bowmen can just pwn you). I usually go with plate + mail shirt + leggings (+ helm and limbs). Also as much leather cloaks as you can find.

Or you can have some fullplate squads against beasts and non-archers, but also some mail protected squads to deal with archers.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 03:12:04 pm by Njals »

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also I planned to paint the pyramid's inside with goblin blood, so I started to build dropping chambers for our prisoners.
If I may make a suggestion.

Dropping chambers will prove effective at painting the floors with blood.  But not the walls. For the walls, you are going to want to propel a prisoner so fast against the side that they do something akin to exploding on impact.

Conveniently, inside the pyramid, we have a partially constructed impulsed roller coasted.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And I do believe that it is a couple more impulse ramps and one dwarven autoshotgun attachment away from becoming a much more effective spraypainting tool than simply dropping goblins onto the snow.

Update: On second thought, I don't know if it is possible or how to get a live, uncaged non dwarf creature into riding a minecar.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 12:11:35 pm by edgefigaro »

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

looks like some good updates.  Also, I love to see "we have tons of food, I'm disbanding the military and reforming it with farmers and melting all the crap weapons."

Someone dorf me.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay. The great communist reform has begun. First, nearly all of the dwarves got their profession changed. Now there is only haulers, builders and some special guys like mechanics and doctors. I ordered the farms not to grow any crops. We have ~9000 units of food and ~2000 units of drink. For about 70 dwarves. We have two animal trainers, two doctors, two smiths and everyone else is either mason or just hauler. I disabled all stone-, wood-, food-, and item hauling, because we really don't need them. We don't have to producre anything.

I rearranged military to small homogenous squads. Their barracks and shooting ranges are in those great ice halls. The uniforms (I made new uniforms for them) don't have weapons assigned beyond the fifth position, so remember to assign more weapons if you make squads larger.

Spoiler: Nice, more minotaurs! (click to show/hide)
So this came. It would be awesome to capture him and put to the labyrinth. Unfortunately the goblins killed him.

Spoiler: Also, an FB (click to show/hide)
I started to seal off the caverns. Instead of continuing the previous overseer's walling project, I just floored some stairs and cut off large parts of empty corridors and things. I was very lucky, since I got final floor built just before that FB arrived nearby - it was really like six tiles away from the stairs. Ah, sometimes dwarves don't fail completely!

So our Chief Medical Dwarf, Njals, built a tunnel tube door. Why does everyone want wood for thei artifacts. Like they don't know that we're living in a Armok-forsaken glacier.

Matoro, the captain of the guard and the overseer, had her dining room finished. Those wooden tables might be even more luxurous than the golden ones. You know, because we're living in a Armok-forsaken glacier.

Some humans come to trade. I made them to take our garbage near the depot. They took it and left. Trader profit was someting like 45k dorfbucks.

Spoiler: Some gobbo shirt (click to show/hide)
... woah, that goblin civilization has a plump helmets as its symbol. So this is the reason why do they keep attacking! They want our plump helmets, since they can't grow them by themselves!

Nearly every single iron mail shirt and helm has a symbol of gobbo civ in it. This may break some of the Geneva conventions...

And, speaking of them, the executions of the prisoners are not going well. Since we have few dwarves and incredible amount of hauling, I didn't dump their weapons. I dropped some into the yeti/cat -room. Yetis suck. They are idiots. They made that one goblin elite wrestler. Military killed those goblins. Also, I used the siegers as a live archery targets and engraved some fortifications at the room with those hovering stones.

Then I made some "open goblin cages in the middle of training session" -executions. They weren't effective. Neither was my giant clothing dumping campaign or animal butchering operation. Keets are hatching faster than we can butcher them. So the anwer is...

So far I've atom smashed 33 animals. We have about 70 animals left, most of them ordered for butchering (except war animals and yetis). This makes me remember one fort where I atom smashed children. I learned about tantrum spirals in that same fort.

Spoiler: Dumping problems (click to show/hide)

I wondered why no one was dumping stuff into my atom smasher, so I decided to follow one dumper. I found some stupid chute. I think it was used for dumping seeds for farms or something. Well, that chute wass full of everything. I deleted that grbage dump and smashing begun.

Also, it's hilarious to pasture animals on a lowered drawbridge and then pull the lever... Animals fly everywhere.

Spoiler: Humans are nice folk (click to show/hide)
Why do we have two human diplomats here? I didn't care much about them, we don't have any need for trade agreement. Other one came and said something about ending the war. What war? Do we have a war with humans? Hell, I'm probably the best overseer ever. I don't even know with whom we are at war. And speaking of war, siege arrived. So those diplomats weren't able to leave. That siege also killed a dwarf caravan. One speardwarf-merchant charged in a martial trance into a goblin marksman squad. He was killed. But hey, he kept fighting with at least six arrows in his body. That's a lot better than Sean Bean ever.

Another merchat hammerdwarf bashed the brains of two trolls into the snow and made whole troll squad retreat from the map. Then he was shot down.

Oh, some marksdwarf hammered that berserk-diplomat till death.

Spoiler: ... (click to show/hide)
And now begins the part which was so large scandal that I had to resing from the overseer's position.

I ordered goblins to be dropped from my apartments. It was a drop of 7 z-levels.

And it was the most chaotic and embarassing execution ever. Hardly any of the goblins were even harmed. I still don't understand how that was even possible.

Also, those falling mechanisms nearly killed half of my military. And then there was a goblin elite lasher.

Oh, and then there was a fcking minecart. Which had killed two dwarves already.

Half of the military had to go into the hospital because of this execution. Some goblins even escaped to the ice halls and caused massive job cancellation spam.

Spoiler: Dwarven stubbornity (click to show/hide)

And then this happened. A goblin hammerman versus a marksdwarf Kikrost Matchcobalt. One speargoblin had severd his hand. And then that hammerman attacked. They were far way from the other dwarves (most of the military was hunting down that speargoblin). I was sure that the goblin would kill that marksdwarf.

Kikrost disagreed with me and proceeded with bashing that goblin with his crossbow eventually becoming a hammerdwarf. Goblin tried to flee. Enraged Kikrost ran after him and fell him into the icy floor. They wrestled. Neither of them was able to kill the other one. The tie was broken by a swordsdwarf, who came and killed a goblin.

Also... at the final day of my reign, there was a depressed human diplomat who tried to kill himself by jumping off the cliff. In the room of the MAGICAL HOVERING STONES. He fell into the hospital and broke many bones. Sadly he didn't died.

So situation now: We have something like 60 dwarves (casualties came from minecart accidents and failed execution) and many in the hospital. Military is sparring and armed with adamantine. There is a siege waiting outside. We have a plenty of everything. I have pastured the most of our animals to the atom smasher, but it takes a time until dwarves have pastured everyone there. We have many cool cave crocodiles. Maybe we could start a taming/breeding program?

We're drowning into the prisoners. Maybe someone could make a magma drowner and bring every singe prisoner there? I'm pretty sure that those ~160 stupid useless units (the animals and the prisoners) are on of the main banes of the FPS. It was now 66 when I arrived to the spring.

SAVEGAME HERE. WHO WANTS TO BE THE NEXT SUCKER TO RULE THIS HELLHOLE? ANY VOLUNTEERS?

Someone dorf me.

The next overseer will, I noticed this after I had already uploaded the save...

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So the communist revolution in a frozen wasteland didn't work out exactly as planned?  where have I heard that before?  Sorry Matoro, but you've suddenly inspired me to do this in-character.... and it may not bode well for the fortress.   :P

"Fellow dwarfs, my predecessor Matoro has been a Stalin, oppressing all, inducing famine with his misguided agricultural reforms, and stifling the will of the noble worker by reducing him to peasantry, just as the wretched Tsars had done!  His obsessions with military control, executions, and diplomatic bumbling have led to the immediate loss of life, and through ignoring the threats of monsters beneath our feet, have jeopardized our very future!  I, Leon Slothsky, will restore the worker's paradise through a return to true Dorfish Marxism.  As the Great Drunken Visionary once said 'From each according to his ability, to each three plump helmets and a barrel of booze!' "

[OOC:  Who wants to be my new captain of the guard?  I'll need to quickly install a pro-Slothsky power structure while the failures of the last overseer are fresh in the worker's minds.  Then I can marginalize subversive elements (note to self, build gulag) and institute the promised reforms.]

Edited for grammar.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 12:42:18 pm by slothen »
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Fellow dwarfs, my predecessor Matoro has been a Stalin, oppressing all, inducing famine with his misguided agricultural reforms, and stifling the will of the noble worker by reducing him to peasantry, just as the wretched Tsars had done!  His obsessions with military control, executions, and diplomatic bumbling have led both to the immediate loss of life, and through ignoring the threats of monsters beneath our feet, have jeopardized our very future!"

I'll take that as a compliment.

Also, this is awesome. Amberjewel won't be remembered from the war yetis (they suck) or the microcline flutes (they are history), It will be remembered as a shining example of Dorfish Marxism.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

[OOC:  Who wants to be my new captain of the guard?  I'll need to quickly install a pro-Slothsky power structure while the failures of the last overseer are fresh in the worker's minds.  Then I can marginalize subversive elements (note to self, build gulag) and institute the promised reforms.]
It is good to see you again, comrade. Shey's unit is ready to enter phase two of the plan.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've checked out the fort a bit, pulled some levers, will be starting my turn tomorrow.

I noticed there is an already built ice-pyramid.  This is phenomenal.
It also looks like a second entrance w/ bridges has been built but not yet been opened to the outside.
I see minecart tracks in various places.  Which, if any, are active or important?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:23:57 am by slothen »
Thoughts on water

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Woah, so much happened.

Matoro, that was an amazing turn. Good work with trying to reduce FPS lag; it would be good if future overseers continue with that.
Good luck with your turn, slothen. Don't let the yetis bite.

For anyone else, if you want to make a decent execution pit, it needs to be at least 100 z-levels high, with steel spikes at the bottom for maximum blood splatter.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks, II, That was actually mine first succession fort turn. I'm glad that I didn't completely fuck up the fort.

Few things for slothen:

Military is currently inactive, since lots of wounded. So remember to activate them at some point.

Then, we have a dwarf named Bruce Wayne. His parents were murdered by goblins before his eyes during the first siege of my reign. And he has owl leather cap or something like that. He's our batdwarf. He's the hero Amberjewel needs but doesent deserve. He's the dorfy knight.

Njals

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow! What a breathtaking report, Matoro!

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Matoro, you did great. Quick updates, fast paced story, and you did the work of actually cleaning up old problems as you created new ones...

I'm going to claim a turn once the population clears 150 or so. Need to get back engaging hell.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 36