Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Yetis: Shall we mod the savefile to make yetis trainable?

No. This game is supposed to be (mostly) vanilla.
- 1 (14.3%)
No. We need them for the militia's live training.
- 0 (0%)
Yes. We could trade them for a nice profit.
- 0 (0%)
Yes. We shall crush our enimies with war yetis!
- 6 (85.7%)
♪ It's a small world after all...  ♪
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 36

Author Topic: [Self-Explanatory Title] Amberjewel, The Glacial Succession Fortress [/Title]  (Read 87701 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

OH HOW COULD YOU!! YOU HAVE FAILED US ALL.

Spoiler: Super Secret (click to show/hide)
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like to see one of the previous overseers do a second stint. I think Slothen was ready to go as well.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Actually, that would be pretty good. I wonder if bp would like to have another turn. He made the fort run like clockwork and then everyone died.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

Ok, if no one claims the turn before monday - I will.
Expect adamantine spears decorated with gold and more yetis.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile

Could I get a turn?

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

People with active claims to turns:
Old
Doctor_Whiteface
Slothen
joeclark (skipped previously)

New
peregarrett (previous overseer!)
matoro

Honorable Mention
bp

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile

Just read through this, and it looks pretty awesome. Can't wait to read more.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Njals

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually, that would be pretty good. I wonder if bp would like to have another turn. He made the fort run like clockwork and then everyone died.
Yeah, bp's turn was very inspirational.  :D

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Could I get a turn?
Sure. You can probably go now, too, unless someone who laid claim to a turn earlier shows up.

Just read through this, and it looks pretty awesome. Can't wait to read more.
This fort is pretty awesome because I AM PRETTY AWESOME. And everyone else here... well, they're kinda cool, I guess. [/imjokingpleasedonthurtme]

Ok, if no one claims the turn before monday - I will.
Expect adamantine spears decorated with gold and more yetis.
I think today is before Monday. We'll throw you in line behind Matoro, I guess.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, thanks. The latest save is the one Njals linked? I'll download that. You're going to get some story about the fort in a few days.

EDIT:

From afar it looks glorious. Giant pyramid rising from the ice cold glacier. It's the true masterpiece of the Dwarven engineering. How could anything as beautiful as this be chaotic hellhole where the yetis crawl to die?

The I move couple of z-levels down.

Oh god.

Spoiler: Blessed. Armok. (click to show/hide)

This is one of the least fucked up floors of the Amberjewel. So we have whole stockpile full of severed goblin hands?

And then the prisoners... We have currently 82 dwarves, few hundred or something like that animals and about 60 prisoners.

Really? What we are going to do with 60 prisoners? Hell, soon were going to have more prisoners than we have a citizens.

I don't even pretend to understand what the heck is going on there. What you see is a room full of stray yetis punching and kicking a bunch of cats. Why? I don't have a slightest idea. Which ones there are the bad guys? The cats or the yetis? Are those others the members of infamous Cat Mafia (the one which detonates fortresses with thermonuclear weapons)? And yetis are just defending the glory of the dwarves? Or are the cats the defenders of the fort and yetis are trying to kill them? And why are those yetis so ineffective? Maybe they are pacifist yetis and trying just to calm the cats down (which, in this scenario, are anti-nuclear protesters - wait what but aren't cats walking nuclear reactors?)?

Where is booze stockpile. I think I need a drink.

Spoiler: Me! (click to show/hide)

I dorfed myself. I'm now legendary mason. And I hate oysters. And I have an adamantine crossbow. The artifact one.

I guess you don't mind if I'll start building an apartment to the pyramid? Not like I care, I already started it. I ordered every dwarf either to build my room or to dump all trash (there is clothes for like needs of thousands of dwarves) into my brand-new atoms-smasher. Also I planned to paint the pyramid's inside with goblin blood, so I started to build dropping chambers for our prisoners. Also, I ordered full golden furniture for me.

Spoiler: Outside (click to show/hide)

This so called "front gate" is the most stupidly complex thing I've ever seen. I have no idea how it is supposed to work. Oh, migrants. More slaves for me. That's nice.

... how the front gate is supposed to be opened? Never mind, what or where the front gate is?Ah, there's some notes. Is is "front gate" or "three-way gate"? I don't know. I'll pull that, and those other levers too. I even got the migrants safely inside!

Spoiler: Boo! (click to show/hide)
Some ghost just scared a dwarf to death. Pretty sad. Now I have fewer workers to build stupid things for me. I ordered some slabs to be engraved. It took some time before I even found any craftsdwarf's workshop. Why is everything so stupidly designed. This layour may work with 200 dwarves, but with 80 dwarves everyone uses most of their time just to walk from place a to place b.

There is my atom smasher. All these clothes lying around are totally killing the FPS. It's just 42-55. I started to mass-butcher useless animals like cats and other things. I didn't touch to the yetis. I ordered some of them to guard the gates and trap corridors and stuff. I also built a dropping chamber for the prisoners abowe that yeti-cat-clusterfuck-room. Let's drop some gobbos into the mix. I don't see what could possibly go wrong.

Spoiler: Strange Mood (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The furnaces (click to show/hide)
One of our best smithes got some stupid idea and claimed his workshop and some adamantine wafers. And he is demanding logs. Hell, this fort has literally everything but logs. We are in the middle of a glacier, man. Do you see many trees growing there?

I ordered someone idler to (have I mentioned how much I hate idlers? Every time I see one I put him to haul some trash) hack down some pink mushroom-trees.

Then. I want to know who made those statues. Those gold statues are going to be in my room.

And... that idiot made a statues of oysters. If there's one thing I haet, it's oysters. The world is literally full of good things that could be made into statues, but no... Oysters.

Goblins came. It seems that I forgot to close the front gate. I still don't have an idea which lever closes it? Is is the "main entrance" (or something like that) or "three-way gate-whatever"? Also, DEATH TRAP sounds good. I ordered it to be pulled. And I stationed military into the ice floor.

Spoiler: The Dwarven Courage. (click to show/hide)

I don't see anything working even if I pulled all the levers. Our traps hovewer are absurdly effective. Now I see why do we have so much prisoners. At least half of the invaders are in the cages now. Including the leader of a goblin squad. His soldiers are now just sitting in a circle near that cage waiting their boss. Not like they could open the cage or anything. They just sit there. In the ice brigde. I wonder if there's a lever which retracts that brigde...

Still no deathtrap. Let's deal eith them with good ol' Dwarven Iron. Or adamantine-steel-iron-bronze combo. For some reason there's a civilian dwarf between a goblins... how he is even managed to get there without getting killed? And where is he going? Outside?]/i] Why?

Spoiler: Or Stupidity. (click to show/hide)

Well now he's not going anywhere anymore.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That Närber guy is just plain badass. He punched some goblins into face, ran into that corridor-thingie (I don't understand why dwarves are trying to get outside - they aren't trying to stockpile anything, that one had "no job"). Then he died. The end.

Yeah, adamantine weapons are awesome... but... why is that macedwarf wielding a sword?

The thing is that the military of the Amberjewel is a bunch of losers.
The problem is not in the equipment. We have weaponry and armour for a giant dwarven armies.

No, the problem is that they aren't always active. They take weeks to pick up their equipment before they will arrive into the battle. And then they have forgotten something (like, you know, the weapon) and they run back into the furnaces the hundred levels below the surface. And then they wonder why everyone is getting murdered.

After this battle is over, I'll make those losers to the fighters. I'll make sure they have a weapons they are skilled to use. And that they have best possible armour (we really shouldn't use those bronze armours, we have enough iron and steel). In the dwarven fortresses, there is a three important things - military, military and military. And maybe awesome golden rooms for the leaders. I'll make sure that the fortress of Amberjewel won't ever lose a fight again.

So those were events during the spring. More will come soon.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 10:47:51 am by Matoro »

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Awesome.
Awesome awesome awesome.
Someone is rebuilding the military. I'd like to request a dwarfing, Shey, the hammerdwarf recruit.

And I'd like to say I really like that first picture. It's beautiful. What tool makes it?

This lever wan't marked. Its the front drawbridge. That knowledge would have been useful.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 11:50:56 am by edgefigaro »

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile

man, i really should explain my death trap

"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fuck, I'm dead. Again.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: So much death (click to show/hide)

We have a problem.

After a hard fighting in the Corridor of Dwarven Stupidity, I managed to push the goblins outside (they are still waiting for their caged leader). Now there's that goblin running in the ice chambers. That bastard has... like, four names?

So many dwarves have fallen to this spear.

Wolfgrim, I love you. Now we have a legendary weaponsmith AND artifact adamantine battle axe? Can a dwarf hope for more? This is awesome.

Spoiler: For death and glory (click to show/hide)

I dorfed you, edgefigaro. That's first unbearded male dwarf I've ever seen.

Spoiler: For Dwarves (click to show/hide)

A crossbow barrage led by Matoro the Bloodsnow managed to hit a couple of times to that goblin. Shey eventually bashed that goblin into head for couple times. That bastard is down.

Spoiler: For Amberjewel (click to show/hide)

Dwarves, why can't you all be like Shey?

I managed to glose the gate. I think I've understood the gate levers now. Amberjewel is safe for now. The next project is the military.

At first I disbanded whole military. I'll let them to recuperate for a moment while I check the stocks.

We have inside the Amberjewel:

10 iron/steel battle axes
6 adamantine battle axes (one artifact)
1 iron hammer
12 silver hammers
3 steel hammers (is steel a good hammer material? Isn't it pretty light?)
2 steel short swords
5 adamantine short swords
1 iron spear
4 adamantine spears
8 silver maces
28 copper crossbows
~100 bone crossbows, including 2 human bone crossbows and 2 goblin bone crossbows. 38 forgotten beast bone crossbows.

28 bronze breastplates
~60 iron mail shirts
9 steel mail shirts

1 steel greaves
3 iron greaves
30 bronze greaves

40 iron helms
33 bronze helms
17 steel helms

2 iron gauntlets
68 bronze gauntlets

65 bronze high boots
2 steel high boots

45 iron shields
31 bronze shields

I ordered the smithes to smelt all copper, bistmuh bronze and other stupid things like silver spears. We have awesome amounts of weaponry. Since we don't need to worry about food for couple of years, I'll build very big active military force with mainly smithes and masons as a civilians.

And I'd like to say I really like that first picture. It's beautiful. What tool makes it?

This tool.

man, i really should explain my death trap

Thanks. I'll try to figure out how it works. I've actually always wanted to see finished minecart impulse gun so I could study it and finally build one by myself.

Fuck, I'm dead. Again.

Do you dorfing? Again?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 01:19:25 pm by Matoro »

Njals

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Matoro, epic update!

Don't forget that the fortress is somehow connected to caverns now.

P.S. There should be some steel leggings, too. =)

P.P.S. Steel hammers suck, better melt them for steel. You can edit settings of weapons/armor stockpile near smelters to collect low-quality items.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 02:42:31 pm by Njals »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 36