Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Yetis: Shall we mod the savefile to make yetis trainable?

No. This game is supposed to be (mostly) vanilla.
- 1 (14.3%)
No. We need them for the militia's live training.
- 0 (0%)
Yes. We could trade them for a nice profit.
- 0 (0%)
Yes. We shall crush our enimies with war yetis!
- 6 (85.7%)
♪ It's a small world after all...  ♪
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36

Author Topic: [Self-Explanatory Title] Amberjewel, The Glacial Succession Fortress [/Title]  (Read 86049 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry for the lack of updates so far. I should have an update on the fort later today.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Overseers Log, Stardate 1st Granite

While I was tending the patients in the hospital today some haulers came in and informed me I had been nominated overseer after the last one quit on account of being unable to enter his office due to the clothing blocking the door. I'm rather irritated by this, I have wounded to tend to and no time to organise parties and feasts. *Sigh* I suppose I had best see what I need to do to get them to let me go back to work.

This job is less trivial than I had expected. A goblin ambush broke, rather literally, on the traps outside the fort and I need to set up a cleaning detail, there's garbage everywhere, rocks litter the fort, the military is a shambles and we need to dispose of our prisoners, they outnumber us two times over. Exasperated by the mess left by the previous overseers I ordered the rocks scattered everywhere to be smashed where they lay and the chippings and shards swept into the snow, the mounds of old clothes are even now being flung into the magma sea. I can tell from the flurry of activity that we have a lot of work to do.

15th Slate
A month since my appointment as overseer and we have some new arrivals to the fort. I'm glad, the newly restructured militia will need some extra recruits and we can always use more haulers.

3rd Felsite
One of the miners, Iton Stinthadzim, has died in the hospital today. He died of dehydration, neglect. I have been so preoccupied with restoring Amberjewel to it's proper glory that I have allowed my duty to it's current citizens to fall from my mind. No more. I will make sure that no dwarf that can be saved will die so ingloriously. I have appointed a new nurse to the hospital staff. We can do better. We will do better.

I have recently been dubbed 'Grim' by one of the migrants that arrived last month, a testament to what this job has done to my mood.

14th Felsite
One of our number, a Potash Maker by trade, an armourer by vocation has become withdrawn, quiet, I fear for his mental health.

15th Felsite
The individual I mentioned in my previous entry has laid claim to one of our forges, he constantly scribbles images of leather, metal and cloth and hands them to passerby. We have specimens of all three substances, I only hope I can decipher his desires soon and discover what mental anguish ails him.

17th Felsite
A group of kobold bowmen has been sighted firing arrows into our entryway. Blasted little things must have snuck past our traps. Our tame war beasts are being shot to ribbons by them. I have dispatched our militia to drive them away. Have we sunk so low that the Mountainhome itself is besieged by vermin?

18th Felsite
The 'bolds were driven off, but our militia paid the price. A full five of our warriors were wounded by the crude arrows of the invaders. I have instructed that they be brought to the hospital. I will tend to them personally. It is the least I can do for those brave souls.

19th Felsite
I have been informed that a caravan of elves has arrived. A pity for them that I have no interest in trade at this time. We have a great deal to do, corpses still litter the halls, and refuse still threatens to overwhelm us. But we are making progress, it is slow, and it is difficult, but we will endure, we will grow and we will become stronger than ever before.

----------------------------------------------------------

I hate my laptop sometimes. I would be at the start of autumn by now if the stupid thing didn't overheat so often. As is I played spring three times before I got the current amount of progress.

I decided to start my log at the start of the new year rather than the start of my turn for traditions sake. I have referenced the use of dfhack in as best a fashion as I can to maintain a measure of character.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

We're back in the game!

Good job, Grim. I'm glad to see Amberjewel rising, phoenix-like, from the mountains of xX clothes Xx and ice boulders.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

We're back in the game!

Good job, Grim. I'm glad to see Amberjewel rising, phoenix-like, from the mountains of xX clothes Xx and ice boulders.
And don't forget the giant pile of limbs.   There were at least a few hundred of them.  I can only imagine what it was like for a dwarf to enter that room.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We're back in the game!

And don't forget the giant pile of limbs.   There were at least a few hundred of them.  I can only imagine what it was like for a dwarf to enter that room.
Corpes litter our halls... ~sigh~

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sadly my turn has collapsed, my laptop overheated when I was loading the fort and now I can't get Amberjewel to load at all for some reason. Whenever I try DF crashes, my other forts still work so I think my copy of the save must have gotten corrupted somehow. I've uploaded what progress I had made to DFFD in case anyone wants to see if it works for them. http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7915

I'm sorry I couldn't finish trying to clean the place up.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Ah, bollocks. The save's corrupted again!
It doesn't work for me, either, so... is it dead? Is this what the end feels like? Thousands of bugs, released by the mad doctor to take over the this citadel of death?
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile

Mind if i take another shot at it?

I cant get Grim Portent's save to work, so im going back to the save immediately before his.

After loading, is it a bad sign that my first thought was "Ehh, ive seen worse?"

BTW, to save the fort from FPS death, im going to be using gratuitous usage of DFhack (mostly autodump), and throwing most things into a firey pit (the dwarves will do the tossing, but ill be making it MUCH easier to toss).

Edit: Did you know that minecarts have kill logs? That gold one that's at the top of the fortress has killed four dwarves.

Through the miracle of fastdwarf (and including the teleport option), i have gotten rid of enough to get the FPS to 30-35, all the goblins are dead, and the thousands of body parts are either destroyed, melted, or currently on fire.

Edit 2: The outside is nearly completely clean, and im up to 25 idlers (everything is in A stockpile).

Ive left the ice stone (whatever you call that), on top of the gigantic pyramid.

Im only intending to play to spring, so it shouldnt be long (I started at the beginning of opal).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 04:32:11 pm by bp920091 »
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Bp, if you can save Amberjewel, you have my persimmon to do whatever you deem necessary. Even if you only keep it alive long enough to draft everyone and send them against the HFS so the fort can end dwarfishly.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile

Bp, if you can save Amberjewel, you have my persimmon to do whatever you deem necessary. Even if you only keep it alive long enough to draft everyone and send them against the HFS so the fort can end dwarfishly.

Can i use and abuse DFhack, danger rooms, happiness generators, and impulse elevators for all they are worth?

Turn dwarves into teleporting, dead inside, superweapons. Magma railguns, kitten landmines. Everyone walking around with massive smiles on their face, all immune from sorrow because they have experienced far more suffering than can possibly be imagined?

If so, i'll be doing my best.

Just a heads up, it'll be a couple of days, as my turn in sparkgears is on, and ive got another 24 hours to finish it.
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Everything you can.

Though I would like at least some of the exploity things (danger rooms, etc) removed before we get back into proper turns.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile

I am working on salvaging the save. RL just got a little busy. Expect an update in the next couple of days.

It's already decently saved, but i want it running at top shape before i hand it off.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you BP! 

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile

I have cleaned the entirety of the fort to manageable levels.

We have literally thousands of articles of clothing, all sorted. Remember those gigantic storage areas that were close to the caverns that we never used? they are full. All four of them. Just with clothes.

Everyone is either content or higher.

Nearly every single prisoner has been thrown into the fire and disposed of.

The mass of bars down in the forges has been fixed (Sorted).

FPS is back to 40 (for me). Save is 27 MB.

Please note, there are close to five thousand ice stones on top of the ice pyramid, unforbidden, but they are the farthest away stone (think of them as a backup).

No Danger rooms, or happiness generators were used, and i have made sure that any Dfhack tools that ive used were reset to vanilla.

Save is HERE.

Apologies for it taking so long, ive had a BUSY couple of weeks in RL.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 05:23:51 pm by bp920091 »

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
Re: [Self-Explanatory Title] Amberjewel, The Glacial Succession Fortress [/Title]
« Reply #524 on: September 02, 2013, 02:59:31 am »

at least the trees outside the fort arent randomly bursting into flame like they do at moltenchannels (it started during my turn, and it's happened every year since).

Admittedly, it may be because there ARE no trees on a glacier, but  ill take the win.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36