Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Yetis: Shall we mod the savefile to make yetis trainable?

No. This game is supposed to be (mostly) vanilla.
- 1 (14.3%)
No. We need them for the militia's live training.
- 0 (0%)
Yes. We could trade them for a nice profit.
- 0 (0%)
Yes. We shall crush our enimies with war yetis!
- 6 (85.7%)
♪ It's a small world after all...  ♪
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36

Author Topic: [Self-Explanatory Title] Amberjewel, The Glacial Succession Fortress [/Title]  (Read 86053 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

So, Amberjewel finally does die. But not to a yeti rampage or miasma demon or regular demons or even a mundane tantrum spiral. No, Amberjewel dies from all of the coffins and corpses. They didn't even reanimate!
Dammit. We really should have built that atomsmasher.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How about using dfhack to autodump destroy some stuff?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, Amberjewel finally does die. But not to a yeti rampage or miasma demon or regular demons or even a mundane tantrum spiral. No, Amberjewel dies from all of the coffins and corpses. They didn't even reanimate!
Amberjewel ain't dead yet. Has this here settlement crumbled to it's end? No. It'll carry on. I know my compy isn't near as powerful as some of those running around here, and I was able to function without too much difficulty.

I don't know anything about DF hack. I cannot comment.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile

I don't know anything about DF hack. I cannot comment.

Destroying stuff with DFHack is easy, if cheating: open DFHack from the bar, type “autodump ?” and it will explain all the options.  “autodump destroy-here” is probably the most commonly used.  Thing is, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t; sometimes the “destroyed” stuff is just hidden or worse, just sits there.  Dwarven Atom Smashers are best, imo (Wiki pages).  Chutes dumping to the magma sea work but leave you with “stuff” that is magma-safe and still counted by the FPS algorithm.  And take a long time to set up.  Personally, I’m a big fan of Dwarven Atom Smashers; I put one fairly close to the Trade Depot.  Makes it easy to keep track of “stuff” and minimizes later hauling jobs to get rid of it.  Extra benefit (maybe not so much for this fortress): an Atom Smasher next to the Trade Depot gives the option to gather all the single items on the surface (bolts, teeth, ... ) to the Trade Depot whenever a caravan is sighted, bringing them all close to the Atom Smasher.  An Atom Smasher is an exploit, not a cheat.
G’luck –
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile

We have that atom smasher in our dining room, remember. Things should be dumped there. Only problem in lack of dwarfpower and immense amount of random XsockXs.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yah, I couldn't get the dwarves to dump things at that garbage dump for some reason. I dunno.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

I approve of any exploit or cheat that will save this tomb from... death... um.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile

If we are willing to cheat, we could first use clean all to remove contamintats, and then set most of the useless stuff to be dumped and use autodump-destroy. Also walling off caverns and setting precise traffic zones could help.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

OK, stuff needs to happen:

Step One: Find the latest not-bugged save.
Step Two: Organise the turns list OR find someone to take a turn and provide me with an excuse to continue putting off organising the turns list
Step Three: ???
Step Four: Profit

I'll start with 1 and 2. Matoro, you're on 3, and edgefigaro can take care of 4.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

OK, stuff needs to happen:

Step One: Find the latest not-bugged save.
Step Two: Organise the turns list OR find someone to take a turn and provide me with an excuse to continue putting off organising the turns list
Step Three: ???
Step Four: Profit

I'll start with 1 and 2. Matoro, you're on 3, and edgefigaro can take care of 4.
Cmega's save wasn't bugged, just that it was VERY slow (Combination of my computer and not moving fast enough to start dumping stuff).  If someone else with DFHack has it they should be
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like to see if I can salvage the fort from FPS death.

I've gotten used to managing junk in my recent forts where I murdered elves for the lulz and started automating my junk sorting into stockpiles I'd carefully defined to seperate all the wooden armour and weapons, instruments, toys and so forth into a stockpile which would be mass dumped into the magma sea, all low grade metal objects were sorted into a stockpile over my smelters and then mass melt designated, this automated the sorting of goblinite and elfinite, worn clothing is something I still need to find a nice processing method for but I think I can handle it (by which I mean systematically destroy it all).

I read through the whole thread last night and I'd hate to see this fort die so ingloriously.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I downloaded the save to take a look. What kind of madmen designed this place!?

Dwarfs unattended in hospital, clothes everywhere and a mess of badly organised stockpiles and buildings. It's like this is where junk goes when it dies.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since you are taking it over, I'd like to re-iterate this post.
Ok, downloaded that and will start playing again tomorrow morning.  Any other tips?
The dwarves spend endless amounts of time hauling things back and forth accross the fort. This doesn't need to happen. We don't need any of the non adamantine things outside. We don't need most of the things inside. We don't need more bone bolts. We have enough crossbows to arm each dwarf at max population twice over.

The most pressing AJ concern is getting out of FPS hell. Be prepared for a year of dump fortress. It can be magma dumping or atomsmashing, doesn't really matter. But all of those bones, teeth, outside clothing/goblinite can/should be destroyed.

My bugged save I built a ~100 lvl garbage chute to the magma sea. Then the game crashed. It was useful because you could dump things from anywhere in the fortress and not have a ~250 distance treck.

The other two semi-pressing concern is getting a bit of a military rebuilt, and hauling corpses. You are going to need to build coffins. It would be useful to build mason shops closer to the stones, and decommissioning the current mortuary.

Finally, the minetrack in the pyramid is set to "ride," which means it is set to break the legs of whoever rides it. It needs to be disabled. The 3 minecart goblin grinder is set to "push", which would also injure your dwarves. I recommend disabling it, cleaning out the garbage inside, burying the corpses.

I am happy to see AJ carrying on. Good luck.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hate to say it but I've been forced to learn to use dfhack to clear some stuff, after deleting all the rock and body parts the FPS jumped up nicely I must say. I did leave the metal ores but I felt 5000+ ice boulders was somewhat excessive.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

I hate to say it but I've been forced to learn to use dfhack to clear some stuff, after deleting all the rock and body parts the FPS jumped up nicely I must say. I did leave the metal ores but I felt 5000+ ice boulders was somewhat excessive.
Better then my attempt at trying to build a magma chute to drop stuff in.  At the point it was at dfhack was a neccasity. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36