Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Yetis: Shall we mod the savefile to make yetis trainable?

No. This game is supposed to be (mostly) vanilla.
- 1 (14.3%)
No. We need them for the militia's live training.
- 0 (0%)
Yes. We could trade them for a nice profit.
- 0 (0%)
Yes. We shall crush our enimies with war yetis!
- 6 (85.7%)
♪ It's a small world after all...  ♪
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 36

Author Topic: [Self-Explanatory Title] Amberjewel, The Glacial Succession Fortress [/Title]  (Read 86080 times)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spring 90, writings of several unimportant dwarves

We finished walling off a piece of the cavern, and are now growing our food in it. It's still defenseless from the water side, though, we'll only wall that off when we succeed in melting some glacier ice.

A dining hall, barracks with a separate room for executing caged enemies, and some living quarters are being excavated.

Migrants arrived, 24 of them. None of them altruistic males, but we got 3 guys with crossbows now, they are hunting the Yeti as we speak.

Also, one of them is very much suspected as a vampire. A pity, he's a Great Mechanic, Siege Operator and Siege Engineer.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like a dorf please!

Clover Magic, Female, no other special requests. :)

You are now a farmer. Well, butcher/brewer really.
http://imageshack.us/f/607/clovermagic.jpg/

Clint, you're in.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/clintr.jpg/
Bogre, you too.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/bumblefrostbeard.jpg/
Tevish Szat too.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/138/tevishszat.jpg/

Meanwhile, a weaver was possessed, and we managed to harvest one pig tail from the caverns in time to make cloth and cave him.
Then as soon as the mysterious construction began, elven caravan came. We bought a lot of surface berries, it may help to keep hunger at bay until we become more self-supporting. A poult has already grown up into a turkey hen  ;)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:59:46 am by Tirion »
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Scratch that, back to start of summer :( Dammit. Apparently seasonal autosave means no other save is created :(
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 01:08:16 pm by Tirion »

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

I call dibs on next opening!  And get some people after me buffered, because I'll likely play the year straight through and throw the savefile back at you later that day.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Thanks, I'll start on it within a few days.

EDIT: wow, you really gave it to me when a Troll was just about to rush in the fortress. Guess I got... trolled  :P
To be fair, my solution to that would have been to conscript every dwarf in the fortress and zerg-rush the bastard... which would have got someone killed, started a tantrum spiral and been utterly unfair on everyone else.

What happened to the merchants?  Did they bring flutes to trade too?
I love the entrance design, this looks like an architecturally pleasing tomb to die in get-beaten-to-death-by-a-troll-on-the-way-for-a-drink in.
The merchants just... left. I had all the instruments brought to the depot, and before any dwarf decided to go and trade, they buggered off and left everyone to die.

I call dibs on next opening!  And get some people after me buffered, because I'll likely play the year straight through and throw the savefile back at you later that day.
As much as I'd like to, I've broken enough rules already. So, by standard, unwritten succession fortress rules that are probably not standard and may just be implied or maybe I've just inferred them to be standard and adopted them for myself, you have to wait your turn.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile

ptw

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile

we'll probably want to keep the farms down there sealed off completely and at least a grate over the fishing spots. the last thing we want is a fb running around the fort.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

the most FUN thing we want is a fb running around the fort.
Fixed for you.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

In case of a rampaging fb, we need war polar bears. I've always wanted a fort with war polar bears.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only animals to ever come are the Yetis so far.

The vampire is locked it the room where POWs will be pitted from their cages. I'll let future overseers decide what to do with it.
Also, by the time I'm done with this we'll have safe and sufficient farming and Armok willing, water. And a very long goblin grinder secondary entrance. And maybe even a hospital.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Summer:

Migrant wave of 10 came, I'm still not there.

Giant cave swallow flied over our cavern walls and into the fortress, killed one of our unarmed "macedwarves". Hunters were drafted into a ranged squad, killed it. Coffin production ordered.
We elected a mayor, who in turn mandated the creation of 3 maces. We are smelting galena like mad to get weapons grade metal.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Walling off, complete with roof and encasing the stairwell with walls, is complete, and not a moment too soon:
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/3849/wingedbeast.jpg

Caving in a section of ice into the warmer rock layers, we melted a lot of it. 3 wells are already built there, both our prison and our hospital will be next to them.

18th Sandstone, Mid-Autumn

12 more migrants came. Among them...ME!

(OOC: Fuck "finds helping others rewarding", I'll go with this compassionate peasant. )

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/2227/tirionj.jpg
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:41:41 am by Tirion »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Autumn: We mined some galena and gold, churned out bone crafts and lead goblets. When the metalcrafters get more skilled we'll get started with gold.

Dwarven caravan came and bought our trash, replenishing our food, wood, cloth, leather and weapon stockpiles in return.

We pitted the vampire against 2 captured snatchers, he killed those, but the yeti after them finished him. Despite his unholy condition he fought and died with honor.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 05:24:06 am by Tirion »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Winter: military killed a few Yetis. Food and booze stockpiles aren't very high, but stable. We need more ammunition, I started the creation of bronze and bone bolts.
A possessed kid made a bituminous coal scepter.
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4990/scepterm.jpg

We have a lot of dwarves skilled in various weapons (3 axedwarfs, 6 hammerdwarfs, 2 more macedwarves, 4 speardwarves, 7 swordsdwarves), but we lack these weapons. Digging deeper for tetrahedrite so we can have a homemade bronze industry would be a good idea. We can also expect a steady flow of prisoners from the cage traps in the goblin grinder, we can take their weapons and armor. Said goblin grinder can be vastly upgraded with more weapon traps using pointy/smashy stuff we don't yet have. Yetis tend to start hitting the hatches, the military can kill them before they do any damage, and they will soon be hunted into extinction. The two bridges on each end of the grinder are linked to levers found on the corresponding side of a statue on the way down from the depot to the working areas. Our population is 94 thanks to all those children the migrants bring. 72 of them is esctatic, 15 happy, 7 content.

We have a novice and a skilled metalcrafter, and enough gold and lead to make goblets for trade.

We have enough wood to make beds for everyone, but it's all from trade. ditto for our supply of coke, I ordered more from the Mountainhomes, along with some flux, iron ore, copper ore.

We have a secure cavern farm and mini-pasture with 2 alpacas. Next to them is an unlimited supply of 1-tile deep (muddy) water secured by grate and walls, the forgotten beast could not enter. We also have 9 wells over a theoretically limited (read: it will be enough for decades now that the booze runs) supply of unmudded water next to the dining hall. Construction of block of a total 9 prison cells has begun there, each well will be adjacent to 2 chains, from each chain a prisoner can reach a bed, and has 2 tiles left for food and stuff to admire. Above this level should be the hospital. Soap is yet to be made.

A crypt fitting for this fortress is also yet to be built.

Our military is 10 marksdwarves and 4 macedwarves, only the macedwarves are actively training. We also need crossbows for 2 of them, and 3 quivers. We have enough wood and leather for it.
We also have no armor, so I suggest avoiding melee until this changes.

I repeat, our population is 94, so we'll get sieges soon. We can't beat those yet but we can lock up and survive until they leave.

The save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7235
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 07:41:04 am by Tirion »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

Oh hell, it's my turn.
PaintedCrypts has to wait a few days more...
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 36