Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

what do you think in this?

already on it (bet no one will click this.... *honestly)
- 0 (0%)
yes! why hasn't some done this yet!??
- 0 (0%)
yeah, but I doubt someone will ever do this (bet this one will get clicked alot)
- 3 (50%)
meh (put something below i would like to know)
- 2 (33.3%)
NO! just. no. (this too)
- 1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: modern combat simulator style  (Read 821 times)

CR055H41RZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
modern combat simulator style
« on: December 08, 2012, 09:14:37 pm »

okay, so I've thought about this for a while and... wouldn't it be nice if someone made a ARMA style game with the same basic combat engine DF uses? in my opinion this would be awesome if it had all those command - you go there, do this - fire at will, cover - the enemy dudes wont shoot what they cant see, and sight - you look over there, you cant see behind you things... a question I have is why haven't people done projects like this or at least anything modern? it can be done, so why haven't people legitimately tried? there are things like liberal crime squad but that ones pretty crap. so can anyone shed light on the subject?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: modern combat simulator style
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 09:30:32 pm »

Impossible.

Unless you meant a new game entirely, in which case... why post it on the modding forum?

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 10:24:52 pm »

The mechanics you suggest are impossible at the present time, and I see it as unlikely that they'll be possible anytime soon. Dwarf Fortress isn't a game solely about fighting...there's a significant degree of resource management, industry, and construction as well, and while there are mods that have introduced firearms and other modern weapons, they too mostly focus themselves with the fortress building aspect of the game.
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 11:57:39 pm »

I'm more than 120% sure that this guy is going "why don't we have FPS games that use DF-style combat mechanics"

Which is not relevant to this board, the forum, or anything, really.

My guess is, nobody's really done it because nobody gives a crap / target audience doesn't have the attention span / target audience doesn't give a crap / it hasn't been done so nobody's willing to do it. Additionally, DF as a game caters to the exact opposite audience of FPS games.

Let's also mention that this is a new user registered like. Just now. Ten bucks says he doesn't know his beard from his balls.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 01:12:33 am »

'you in du 'rong neighbourhood, boy.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange