Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [FATE:Dresden Files] Suggestion Game  (Read 6038 times)

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
[FATE:Dresden Files] Suggestion Game
« on: December 08, 2012, 04:07:53 pm »

I. INTRODUCTION

Welcome, stranger.

I will host a litte forum game here, using the Dresden Files RPG rules, based on the glorious FATE system.

This will not be an RPG. It will be a Suggestion Game, using a system I am familiar with. You don't have to know the rules to take part, I will take care of most everything. Like a huge controlling freak, basically.
But: You can create characters, and a whole lot more.

Some warnings still: I mess up English sometimes. Mess it up bad. Point it out, if it gets out of hand.
I am not up to date if it comes to the Dresden Files saga, since Butcher gets translated slowly. I also don't exactly want to play fanfiction with the names changed, so this game will not take place in the exact same world as Harry's misadventures. In a very similiar world, yes. But there are going to be differences, even if they mainly depend on you right now.
All fiction is fanfiction with the names changed, I guess...)
This game isn't going to take itself 100% seriously, either. I am already using up my seriousness reserves here. I am basically all out of serious now, except for the iron serious ration I use to hide in my car keys. Seriously.

So come here if you like Modern Fantasy, I guess? Or just magic and guns and explosions and a little more.

Let's go:

II. CITY CREATION

The City is the main arena our game will take place in. "City" is a broad term here: It could be a town in rural Wisconsin, a jewish neighbourhood in LA, a German village, a county with a few thousand habitants, a stripe of mud and alligators with a single trailer park in the middle or even the land along the Route 'Whatever symbolic/memetic number you think is funny right know'. It can be a real city or ficticious, a place we all only know the name from or your town.

(Take note though that you best pick something we all don't know too well, so I can make shit up like I really want to.)

This is up to you. Go wild. Include details: The cheese here is the best of the entire state. The nights are very dark in this parts. There lies a strange black ship in the harbor, since months. The mountains are a lovely view. If you kill a dog here, you better skip town, they say.
Don't forget to second suggestions you like.

Have fun!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [FATE:Dresden Files] Suggestion Game
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 04:39:28 pm »

All good mystery thrillers take place in a haunting, rural New England town. Therefore I suggest "any haunting, rural New England town."

If you need any help with the system just let me know.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 04:41:02 pm »

Would we have to have read the Dresden Files to understand the game?

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 04:49:26 pm »

A small mining town well a small ex-mining town ever since that incident in the mine we still hasn't found all the bodies but don't let that put you off good old Rothley (pronounce Ro-ley). Friendly bunch of people, our lovey misty forests to wander around and plenty of old legends to listen to.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 04:53:01 pm »

If you need any help with the system just let me know.
I will, thank you!

Would we have to have read the Dresden Files to understand the game?

I don't think so, except for an in-joke or two. The setting isn't that original or out there, and I won't even use all of it. No spoiler-alert either... at least not from my side.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 07:44:32 pm »

I thought this was going to be a fate/stay nightxDresden Files crossover.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 03:50:44 am »

And now you given away the plot twist well done.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 04:42:19 am »

Alright, an old, gloomy, New England mining town. Let's name it... Derleth.

There aren't that many mining projects left in New England, you say? Well, here they found something special about a hundred years ago, something they needed and something they feared: Pitchblende.
Some say that the radiation wasnt exactly wholesome to the public health in Derleth... others say the deformities and tumors are an old heredopathia, stemming from the days as Derleth was a village consisting out of 30 settlers, most of which were related somehow.

Anyway, the mines were sealed twenty years ago, after a terrible accident. Sealed carefully, not that something escape from there. Like, deadly radiation. Men with dogs and revolvers patrol the ground to this day. They probably work for the mining company.

Well, Derleth still is a mining town, you don't loose that flair if you close your last mine. You just loose your purpose. Derleth has little industrie and little to no farms. People don't get jobs easily anymore, if at all. Who is young and talented enough to leave, leaves. There are a lot of rotting, empty buildings at the edge of town.

Still, it is a town with a couple thousands of inhabitants, there is some public life, strangers aren't nailed to barn doors and if you meet somebody who wears gloves and a scarf in August... you just don't stare too much, okay?

Next step in City Creation:Themes & Threats

There are going to be some problems in this town. Problems that run deep, right down to the roots, and problems that come from the outside. Both will coin the game.

A Problem of type #1 is a Theme.
A Problem of type#2 is a Threat.

This is how we will determinate them in this game:
There is going to be a secret Threat, that will drive on our story, at least in the beginning. I hereby name it The New Owner. You will have to find out about it in play.
There is going to be a Theme named The Derleth Marks. This will mainly be your meter how well or not-so-well the condition of the inhabitants of the town is, based on a few factors you will discover shortly.

There is still a slot open for a Theme or Threat.  We also may use more than the standard three anyway... so any suggestions?

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 05:04:02 am »

I think a good threat could be The Thing in the Mines
alternatively a theme could be That Feeling in the Air
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 09:37:47 am »

Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 09:44:54 am »

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 10:35:44 am »

+1
Everybody knows there is something in the mines. Few people know what.

Don't worry about the faces, we will fill them in as necessary.
Next thing we need are some locations in this town. Bars, churches, strange landmarks. The mines.

List a short description and maybe a person or two who are important to this location: A loudmouthed biker for a bar, a priest for a church, a strange old hag for the stone circle in the woods.
Remark if there is some immediate potential for conflict in this location(e.g. The Bikers might be planning a heist, the Priest is driving away believers with his zealotic rants...), but don't overdo it: the town shouldn't collapse into anarchy before the game even starts.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 03:43:26 am »

Some locations to bump the thread...

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 11:25:19 am »

Some suggestions since this isn't getting enough love.

The Mines' Entrance
IDEA: Don't hang around at night
ASPECT: Orphan's Wail

Cara's diner
IDEA: Old Rothley's tall tales
ASPECT: Eyes On You

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 12:11:31 pm »

I still watching but I suck at coming up with locations i.e. so how about X no that stupid repeat.
Pages: [1] 2 3