Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Thought Provoking Quote  (Read 4518 times)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Thought Provoking Quote
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 10:17:42 pm »

Well I definitely wouldn't want to speed things up any; the simple act of getting older feels like it does that well enough on its own. Besides, I've spent so much time and effort developing this character into the masterpiece it is today, that it seems like it would be a bitch to have to clean the slate and start all over again.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 10:30:50 pm »

I think I will answer the original quote with another from Emerson.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

Even if I had sufficient reason to believe that reincarnation was in fact the norm, and that my circumstances would be improved by proceeding to the next life, I would not commit suicide. Which is, after all, the easiest way to do so, if one assumes the premises are true. Though even the validity of that would be called into question depending on the system; does one only reincarnate as another variation of the same species? Of sapient life? Of life at all? Does proximity to death matter? It would be rather disconcerting to die and awaken in the next moment as the larva of an ant-analogue on a planet in the Andromeda galaxy.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 10:36:19 pm »

I liked Nietzsche's version better
“What if a demon were to creep after you one night, in your loneliest loneliness, and say, 'This life which you live must be lived by you once again and innumerable times more; and every pain and joy and thought and sigh must come again to you, all in the same sequence. The eternal hourglass will again and again be turned and you with it, dust of the dust!' Would you throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse that demon? Or would you answer, 'Never have I heard anything more divine'?”
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 10:41:44 pm »

Infinite New Game+? Sounds great to me. I mean, holy exploitable timeloops, Batman! Ye gods and goddesses, the sheer amount of dickery I would get up to if I knew that as soon as I died I would just start over again. Granted, it would be a moot point if memories were wiped every time, but still: immortality! In a sense.

That's one thing I will always love to laugh at: Cursed with Awesome angst about (true/perfect) immortality. It's damned near the best thing possible, and as long as entropy isn't affected, you've got the best of both worlds: stagnation sufficient to ensure you live forever, maintaining your existence; and continual change, ensuring that you will always have new experiences.

3. Run Resize Enable

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 10:44:53 pm »

Now, a Groundhog Day type of immortality would suck major cactus testicles.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2012, 10:46:42 pm »

Makes both great and terrible fanfiction, though!

Seriously though, depends on the conditionals. Exact same day over and over'd get a lil'boring, but give us some more leeway and things become interestin'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2012, 10:49:47 pm »

Makes both great and terrible fanfiction, though!

Seriously though, depends on the conditionals. Exact same day over and over'd get a lil'boring, but give us some more leeway and things become interestin'.
Yeah, "same day" loops suck and inevitably result in shenanigans until the loop ends at the worst moment possible.

Loops that only stop at death? Holy shit, sign me up!

3. Run Resize Enable

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2012, 11:02:53 pm »

See, a way to repeat a measure of time we didn't like (including death, duh) would be more awesome in my opinion.  Y'know, quick-save quick-load buttons.

Maybe I'd take some of those risks I keep telling myself to take...

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 11:19:45 pm »

If life repeated endlessly in the exact same sequence, it doesn't much matter if you're not aware of it.  And you'd have to not be aware of it, else you'd probably change something...

Anyway, as for the question in the original post: I'd hang on to this life as long as I can.  Things could be orders of magnitude worse for me than they are, and I wouldn't be in a hurry to take chances on it being better in case they weren't.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 11:35:26 pm »

That's just it: if you don't retain memories, who cares? You stop existing either way. If you do, you get to spend eternity fucking with people, both literally and metaphorically. And maybe eventually buckling down and developing some sort of life-extension treatment so you can get a few more centuries out of each loop.

3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2012, 11:39:13 pm »

I liked Nietzsche's version better
“What if a demon were to creep after you one night, in your loneliest loneliness, and say, 'This life which you live must be lived by you once again and innumerable times more; and every pain and joy and thought and sigh must come again to you, all in the same sequence. The eternal hourglass will again and again be turned and you with it, dust of the dust!' Would you throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse that demon? Or would you answer, 'Never have I heard anything more divine'?”
Nietzsche was pretty boss. Burn in hell for eternity? FUCK YEAH IMMORTALITY

SUCK DAT PASCAL

It'd be pretty awesome till you achieved every possible eventuality. I suppose with reincarnation this would be true also - but you get a lot more screen time before you reach re-runs. Also the whole memory loss thing so it'd seem real to you every time.

-Wait, this isn't the matrix :o

I'd still dig it.
With a pick.

#YOLO

I suppose it didn't provoke much thoughts for me because I care more about life than death.

Here's a thought provoking quote!

Quote from: Tyrion son of Tywin of House Lannister and Casterly Rock
Death is so terribly final, while life is full of possibilities.

Now you can stop being existential and start being Epicurean :3

Here's my favourite quote:
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

-Albert Einstein

LUNGFISH IS GODSMARTS

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2012, 01:20:44 am »

I'd live my life exactly the same way, experiencing everything creation has to offer? Sounds perfectly nice to me, although I'd imagine that sinking into the soup of the Oversoul'd be a nice eventually.

Although if the stage manager's a dick, I bet that I could do a fair bit of damage with a prop sword.

But yeah, something about SMBC-guy's been getting on my nerves lately. More and more unfunny-preachy, I think. Although his last direct-God comic reduced me to tears of laughter.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2012, 01:37:46 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:26:34 pm by Ogdibus »

caleb

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fort - Ironwrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2012, 03:44:19 pm »

I interpreted the quote not to mean would you speed up your current life, ie suicide, to change costumes but would you change the way you live. All of us have to rationalize our decisions against the consequences, if you decided you wanted to be a musician but ended up living on the streets playing for change would you still go down that path? Hence why so many get stuck in the day to day grind of work and fitting into societal norms. But if you knew that if things didn't quite pan out for you would you be more likely to take these risks because at the end of the tunnel is a reset button?
Pages: 1 [2]