Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thought Provoking Quote  (Read 4519 times)

caleb

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fort - Ironwrath
    • View Profile
Thought Provoking Quote
« on: December 07, 2012, 11:51:42 pm »

So I was scrolling thechive.com yesterday, like usual, when I came across this in one of the posts of motivational quotes. Typically these kinds of things make you think for a little bit then you go on about your day without much changing. This one has really stuck with me though, it definitely caught me off guard when I first read it. I have been giving it much thought and figured this would be an interesting place to bring it. I still can't choose an answer to it, I continue to go back and forth. Any thoughts of your own?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Thought Provoking Quote
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 12:19:44 am »

Oh, reincarnation? Eh, even if I knew it to be true, I'd probably want to stick out this life to the bitter end. It's a pretty neat life, even though it has its ups and downs.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 01:11:24 am »

I'd prefer option C: Go backstage and beat the shit out of whoever's running the joint. If it's a self-perpetuating cycle, find a way to end it. I want either non-existence or unconditional immortality, damnit. Half-way measures of suffering and more suffering followed by the stage becoming incapable of supporting more actors doesn't cut it, even if there are upsides to incarnation. There's darn good reasons why most major reincarnation systems these days have strong messages of "This is how you get out."

Regardless, I'm mostly of the opinion these days that afterlife, reincarnation or otherwise, is irrelevant to ethical action in the here and now. I'd keep walking th'same rate I am, if I had actual evidence there was a round X+1 after this one. It doesn't make a difference in regard to right action.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 06:35:18 pm »

I... never really liked that quote to be honest.
See the first 'misconception'.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 06:55:17 pm »

Sorry, dutchling. Einstein was a lot smarter than smbc-dude. He also saw more of the world, met more people, had greater life experience, better hair, and slept with more women than smbc-dude. I'm gonna trust Einstein on this one, and assume smbc-dude is just disappointed he didn't end up a talented actor ;)
Love, scriver~

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 07:04:52 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:24:29 pm by Ogdibus »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 07:09:27 pm »

Height correlates with IQ? As a tall person, I support this.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 07:19:08 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:24:50 pm by Ogdibus »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 07:28:34 pm »

I'd also like to know more about the stats. As a relatively tall person, i don't lose out either way. As for the everyone is a genius bit; in some ways, yes, given a loose meaning and the capability to do so.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 07:31:59 pm »

I can confirm that being tall is super rad.

I'm also going to have go with scriver and assume Einstein knows better than the goblin that does SMBC.  I used to like that comic but I feel like it's starting to drift into xkcd territory, with an inordinate amount of comics using "lol engineers" as a punchline.
Shoes...

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 07:32:37 pm »

Slow down when your 'costume' is cool and speed up if its not.  :-X
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 07:40:41 pm »

Here's my favourite quote:
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

-Albert Einstein
This little fellow has something to say about that quote.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 07:42:08 pm »

Here's my favourite quote:
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
-Albert Einstein
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking_fish
See, I feel like anyone can climb a tree.  Sometimes those trees may not seem like much more than bushes to others, but... fuck 'em.
Ya' just gotta try, and you seriously can accomplish anything.

Well, men still can't get pregnant, but you get the idea.  Anything in the realm of physical possibility.

Sonofabitch, Mage.  Ninja'd.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 07:53:12 pm »

Do possible alternate costumes include other species? If so, then if I'm a member of a species capable of contemplating the question, I would prefer to remain in that costume for as long as possible, since realistically speaking my odds of being reincarnated as another member of such a species are infinitesimal. Otherwise, I'd have to weight it against average living conditions - for instance, right now, as an American white male with a solid income and comfortable lifestyle, shit, I'm gonna keep my winning genetic lottery ticket.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 10:00:16 pm »

My thoughts exactly greatorder.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: [1] 2